42. Neil's POV

Ishani was hurt. The police were waiting for her bloodworks to take her in custody. Lata was missing and Andy was standing right outside the hospital room.

Life around Ishani was always buzzing but this was scary. I could not believe when Ishani called me and grumbled about being hit and the next I heard was a loud shriek. They took her to hospital but a police case for drunk driving was registered.

I stepped out of her room and called the lawyer to prepare her anticipatory bail papers and also get the footage from the parking, the market association would have it.

I had a hunch that something somewhere was wrong and it could be done by Lata. Those photos had made me see blood. I wanted to kill Andy but deep down I knew this was not how Ishani behaved.

But why would Lata harm her office bestie? They were always close even though Lata was a bit reserved but she adored Ishani. I was on my way to the bar when she called but I was going for a different purpose.

The blood reports would be out soon and the doctors believed that Ishani had been given date rape pills to get her to this groggy state. If the blood tests proved the doctors right the police would want further investigations in case we pressed charges. I wanted the reports before anyone else.

It would keep my Ishani out of the jail. And it would make explaining the situation to her easier. "Andy!" I called him over. Right now I did not trust him one bit but he was my only hope. "Is she better?" He looked at me and handed me a cup of coffee. Good knows I needed it 3 AM in the morning I wasn't at my best and Ishani needed me much more.

"Andy please tell me was Ishani drunk when you reached her?" Andy considered a lot before replying. "Neil she was drunk I made her have water and when she sobered did we try some new alcohol. In hindsight it was a bad move to let her have any, but she was trying hard to have a good evening out and I couldn't spoil it for her." I believed he was telling the truth and I decided he needed to know what Lata had sent me.

"Andy I'm trusting you with something big and I hope you can help me." I paused, I had never felt this feeble in life. "I love Ishani from forever. I cannot explain but its always been there. But the past few weeks have tested us not only as a couple as friends too."

"Tonight when she went out, I did not know where she was, much like when she went to get Reet-Sid." Andy nodded, clearly he was also uncomfortable. I received another stare so I continued, "Lata sent me photos of you with my Ishani and they are not nice." Now Andy looked up, "what photos?" "These", I said and handed over my phone to him. He looked at them and sweared some profanities. "Neil, initially I was attracted to Ishani. But when she told me about you I felt we were two lost souls, two people who had loved and lost, and we connected as best friends. In fact she got me back the girl I truly care for. Rianna." I was stunned.

Rianna, how did she even come in this picture. "What do you want me to do?" He asked again coaxing me out of my reverie. "Get yourself tested and claim unknown intoxication." "What do you mean Neil?"

I explained how the cops wanted Ishani. Finally Andy agreed.

"But why?" I was frustrated. The doctors wanted to show the reports to the police too. No amount of bribing, name throwing was helping. Ishani wanted to go home and right now Andy was explaining to her that the situation was not in her favour. Much to my dismay as I wanted to be with her.

"Listen Dr Singh dad knows you well and you know I'm marrying the love of my life who might just get imprisoned all thanks to you. Please understand." Great I was begging now. But I wanted my Ishani and did not want those hoard of relatives at home to know how bad the outcome of tonight was.

As it is chachi jee had left no stone unturned to spoil her reputation.

"Singh jee can you wait till Andy's report comes?" I ran a hand through my hair in frustration. He looked at me and agreed. At last. "One last question, how much time would Andy's reports take?"

We had two hours to pack before the reports came. I sent both set of parents home assuring them that Ish will be fine and they need to pack and leave now if they want to make it to back to Punjab on time.

The next two hours were difficult to pass. "Ishani the nurse is here. She well help you change into these clothes maa has sent. We leave in another hour and you need to walk around to see if all is okay." I spoke softly.

Ishani nodded, she was still shocked at what happened. "Neil I'm sorry." "Don't be. You are not to be blamed. Lata is a different story. I will personally ensure she is kicked from your company."

I went outside when the nurse came in. After 10 minutes I entered the room to see my Ishani look better. She was wearing a yellow silk kurta with some pants and a heavy shawl. Her ears glittered with huge earrings and her hair almost covered the bandage. Her skin also glowed possibly some makeup was there. "You look better now" I commented as her hand went to touch the bandage.

"Neil what if they arrest me?" "They won't Ish. Trust me." I sounded more confident than I felt. "Then I'm so ready to marry you Neil." I covered the distance and went to hug her. "Ish are you scared?" "Of marrying you? Ohh yes." She laughed.

All tensions were forgotten. "Neil I know we both do not really know what marriage holds for us. But if you plan to stick for the dirty and depressing bits like accidents and hospitals trust me, I love you a lot more."

There was a knock on the door and I went out, "Andy's report is also positive. Talk to your lawyer and then the cops." An attendant informed me as I handed him crisp notes of thousand rupees. Yes, I had bribed the attendant to make sure the reports came to me on time.

I would have gotten them changed to a positive is they were negative. Anything to save Ishani.

I made a few calls and at last we left the hospital. Since Ishani was well enough to travel we left for Punjab our parents cooked up a story of us going to some mandir and the accident was hidden.

However we had to say Ishani slipped at the temple and hence the small injury. They had promised Ishani that the next bandage would be as small as a band aid. Though I had my doubts.

All the way to Punjab Ishani slept. I felt bad for taxing her frail self to travel. Some way during the journey I also nodded off. I got up to see I was wrapped in Ishani's shawl and she was furiously typing on her phone, "hey Ish you were supposed to rest all the way." She looked up from her typing and smiled, "I'm done."