17. Neil's POV

Here's to keeping up with the promise of a quick update.

The song is one of my favourites for a long drive.

Please do vote for this chapter :)

I got up late next morning and called Ishani first thing, before dressing for work. I went to Singapore tomorrow so work was hectic. Ishani picked up, "Hi." "Ish I'm so sorry for not coming last night. The Singapore concall was on and it took a lot of time. I called you as soon as I was free," I wanted to explain her that last night work took over.

"Neil it's okay can we talk later I'm in a meeting," Ishani replied in a soft slow voice. Thankful that she understood I rushed to grab breakfast. My mom kept a plateful of poha and a cup of coffee she looked like she would burst. So I asked her, "morning maa what's bothering you?" "Where are you going to take Ishani tonight? Finalised the timing? What are you gifting her? I know the Singapore deal is important but so is your first post engagement date too." Shit! I had taken her father's permission and forgotten about the date. Thank God I hand given her the flowers today morning.

I quickly typed her a message, "can't wait for our date tonight. Love". My mom had actually downloaded a list of best romantic restaurants in Delhi on her iPad and started, "Beta take her to Claridges, their Italian restaurant won the most romantic place award". Okay it was getting awkward, I got up, " maa I'm leaving now. Where I take Ish will be a surprise for you."

I went to my car still thinking about
where to go when Rianna called me , "Neil, me and Deepak will reach tomorrow morning. The papers you sent had a small issue".

I went back to my room and started working as me and Rianna talked work. I called dad to let him know I was working on the final papers for Singapore and won't come to office.

Around lunch I called Ishani, " hey " she answered. "Hey Ish. How are you? I will pick you tonight by 7pm?"
"Sure. Where are we off to?" She enquired. "Its a surprise Ish," I replied feeling uneasy as I had nothing in mind.

I switched off the lights in my room and planned my first date. We could go to any 5 star hotel for dinner or for movies or we could hit the bar but nothing sounded special. Thinking about our great date I must have fallen asleep. Maybe the exhaustion of last night took over. When I saw the time it was 6 pm. I had one hour to finalise my date plans before picking Ishani. I decided to ditch the romantic restaurant types and messaged her, "as much as i want you to dress sexy. Wear jeans, tee shirt and sneakers tonight." The message seemed incomplete so I added, "Can't wait to kiss those lips."

I jumped in the shower and dressed in blue denims, white shirt and my white Vans loafers. I set my hair and called downstairs for a cup of coffee. I finished my coffee and still had 20 minutes before I picked Ishani so I took off in my car to a nearby store and got her the cutest stuff toy pillow covered in red velvet hearts. It looked too cute to resist I knew it was mush stuff but it was the need of the hour.

I then went to the Wine shop and picked some 4 bottles of cold beer, chips to accompany the beer. It was almost time so I went back and called her, "Ish come on out. I'm waiting," i said on the phone while fiddling with the car's music system. "Okay," she said and came out.

"Hey Ishani," I semi hugged her and she hugged me back, "hi Neil." She sat on her seat. She looked beautiful even in her jeans and black teeshirt combo. Where are we going?" She asked. "Ohh well it's a surprise. But you can have a beer on the way." I offered her the bottle and concentrated on driving to the destination.

"Ishani I'm sorry for last night. I did not expect work to go in so late and I really missed you." I offered her the truth. "Its alright Neil. I am okay with it. I told you earlier also." Off we went on a drive. I took her to the the highway where the roads are broader, cleaner and with fields on both sides they feel refreshing.

We were both looking out when I brought up the upcoming trip, "why don't you join me one weekend? I know you would prefer a better vacation but you could meet me there. Stay in a hotel if my apartment is not allowed by your parents?" The thought of being away for more than a month was killing me.

This idea sparked some like into me and made me immensely happy. We together in Singapore, roaming about, having fun was such a nice day dream.

"Neil will you miss me as your fiancee or your friend?," Ishani asked looking outside and sipping her beer. I was shocked why did this weird question have an importance. Knowing women and their twists I took a gulp of my beer and replied, "you will be missed not only as my fiancee, friend or wife to be but as my companion and my lover too Ish," I smiled at her. She gave me a small smile, "confess me something, you forgot me last night naa?"

"No Ish I got lost in work. Forgetting you is not possible for me," I replied back curious to know what she wanted. "You did forget me Neil. I hope married life with you is like our friendship and seeking each other to talk whenever we need not like last night," she said slowly.

"Ish, I..," she kept a finger on my lips and quietened here. "I'm nut fighting with you I know you to well to be angry," she said softly. I smiled and tried to concentrate on the road.

Ishani opened another beer and lit a better cigarette. "Ishani as much as I love female equality as your future husband I need you to stop smoking. It kills the whole vibe and I don't want you to die early," I told her solemnly. Smoking was never my cup of tea and Ishani did it under peer pressure than habit, I always felt.

"Once you get back you will see me without smokes, I promise" she smiled. We reached a famous dhaba, which is a rustic restaurant made for truck drivers on highways but due to its good food many people stop here. Once you cross the parking lot, you can see the clear sky, open fields and have your meals sitting on a traditional Punjabi bedding made with ropes called manji.

We sat on a manji and ordered the little boy, "beta get me two cold beer, heniken, from the neighboring wine shop." The beauty of these places is that the food is rustic and heavenly, plus they are great at sourcing wine, beer, anything you want. But these places often employ young village boys who should be rightfully go to school, their parents need the money and send them here.

I saw Ishani was busy on her phone, I quietly kept the pillow on her lap. Get comfy! I opened the bag of my purchases and lit about 10 candles on the table. I also gifted Ishani a beautiful pink shawl as it would get chilly soon. Last, I opened a big box of chocolates to set the whole place and it looked beautiful all around. Since it was a weekday the crowd was negligible, the open sky, chilled air and warmth of alcohol made or perfectly peaceful.

Do you think Neil's idea of date is perfect? Will Ishani enjoy this evening and forget that he did not come last night?