24. Neil's POV

Every time Ishani called me today all I could think of was the foolish excitement I felt for my baby. I knew preassuming was wrong but a part of me felt sad.

But Ishani and her selfie excited me enough to start working for a heads-up tomorrow morning. I opened the laptop and remembered Ishani's photos on Facebook and saw her look beautiful sleeping blissfully. Her photo made her look the prettiest ever. It excited me to know she was all mine and then I saw the photo credits went to Andy. Why in the gods name had she allowed a guy who lusts her to click such vulnerable photos? Why was she sleeping with him? My blood boiled and I called her, "Neil we were taking about you! Mummy said you love your paan with a drizzle of chocolate and I said you can eat anything with chocolate," I realized everyone was together but my anger compelled me, "Ish how can you be so nice to my family when you slept with Andy?" I asked dryly.

I knew my accusations were wrong on many levels but so was my hurt. Her silence told me how shocked she was but that did not help. I wanted her to feel my pain, my love and my feeling of being cheated. "Neil you are mistaken. Think before speaking. Hold on," she sounded upset.

I knew she was walking aside to talk to me I also knew that my Ish won't really sleep with someone but my ego is hurt. "Neil don't use such words again. I went to Andy's because Reet was not picking my calls and it was raining crazy. I needed to wait someplace Andy's was nearest," I heard Ishani but maybe I was in a mood to sulk over understanding so I just kept the phone down. A few seconds later as I admired the photo my phone buzzed with a message from Ishani, "this is how mature you are?" "Yes," I typed back. "As mature as you are at hiding things," I replied again. "Neil stop this drama, I did tell you," Ishani offered but she never told me he clicked such photos. I hated Andy more now. I knew he liked her but why was this so oblivious to her.

I calmed down and replied, "let's talk tomorrow. It's late and I'm tired," in reality I wanted to sulk and think of a few ways to kill Andy. My thoughts were disturbed when I heard Deepak enter. Working with him was a nightmare. His vacation mode was not really ending and his grouchiness could cost me more time. I decided to call Rianna tomorrow morning and talk clearly.

Grumpy Monday mornings always clearly tell me, this was going to be a long day. Deepak as usual came late to work. If this continued, our plans were never going to become actions. I called Rianna to check on how we were going to meet the deadline and import the products promised. Basically our big Singapore plan is to supply authentic Indian carpets, the ones with intricate embroidery to opulent homes and hotels. The base plan was to finish this consignment and export modern household upholstery from here. But with Deepak's shortcomings stage one looked like a dream, let alone the second stage.

I finally made the call which would break Rianna, "hello Rianna, we need to talk," I muttered. "Neil! Good morning. How are you? How's work coming along. I have a new vendor list," she was excited. "Rianna listen to me please, it's important," I cut between her conversation. "Is everything okay Neil?," her tone made me feel more guilty. "Yes and no R we have to tackle a major issue. It's Deepak, he is not working. His love for late nights, alcoholic binges are going to make this venture a dud, I'm scared," I confessed my fear to her. "Let me call him and see what I can do," she added dryly.

I for engrossed in work when my phone rang, thinking it was Rianna I picked out up without much thought. "Rianna, did it work?" I asked only to hear Ishani speak next, "you don't even look at your phone when you pick. Talk to your Rianna and call when you get time," she kept the phone.

Women have this habit to assume the worst in us. I knew things were going out of hand but I was not sure of how to get them back to normal. Our relationship sometimes made me miss our friendship. They say that friendship is the first step for a successful relationship but I know its a lie. The basics of both of them work differently. A friend doesn't expect you to act, but this courtship requires efforts and I seem to be sinking. Before I had a chance to call Ish my phone rang again.

It was Rianna she sounded hurt, "Neil as we speak my darling brother is moving out of that flat and catching the next flight back home. He has no malice and wants this project to work but he says his heart is not in it." "Ree am I supposed to finish this alone?" I was baffled that Rianna spoke in such cool tones. "Please don't call me Ree ever Neil," her cold tone was weird. "Deepak is too much in love with the girl who left him. And I understand him," she added. But wasn't this project a priority. I was scared that she was not understanding that I had a limited time to fix this before my wedding.

I was determined to make this project a success and looked up from work only when my mom called and started babbling about me not being a perfect son and not calling her. I somehow managed to get her to keep the phone down by saying I was very hungry and wanted to go and eat. My mother's obsession with my food is hilarious, much like most Indian mothers she can lose sleep if I haven't eaten well or I start a diet. Once I shut down my laptop I realised I was actually quite hungry and those cups of tea and a few biscuits did nothing much.

I went downstairs and there was a gentle breeze. I walked towards home and stopped at a cart and picked 2 hot dogs and called Ishani. She did not pick up. Figures, after our fight last night and my fuck up today morning I did not blame her. I messaged her, "Ish I had a very tough day and honestly I'm scared of the outcome. I wish it gets better. Talk later." I quickly finished my hot dogs and decided to call dad. "Papa! I have missed you." Being the sentimental son I always talked on point with my father, "hello beta. Are you okay?" Was I okay, really? I was not sure those photos broke a bit of me, the stress a bit more and now Ishani's attitude added to my broken-ness.

I wanted to be happy after all I have as living my dream project but all I wanted to do was rush home to all the pre-wedding bickering and shopping sessions. I sighed, "I'm perfect dad. How's the wedding prep coming along? Broke yet?" I joked. "If your mother gets hold of all my money I will surely be broke but I'm thankfully surviving." My dad laughed. So Ishani had not spoken about my outburst to anyone. "Dad when are you guys planning to send Ishani?" I wanted to know how I would manage and when would she be here. It was November mid, this time next month through our wedding week. "She shall see you this weekend but try to keep away from her room son," my father said jestfully.

"Yes sir," I would need Bob to back up with me if this week needed double my efforts to finish but I was going to take the weekend off. Ishani deserved my company and attention. I did not want to go around the hotspots of Singapore glued to my phone and emails.

How do like this chapter? Personally I feel a little bit of jealousy explains a lot about love. Do you think Neil's anger is justified? Next update will be on Thursday. Stay tuned.