17: Stupid gravity

Nathan-

Grey, early morning light streamed through the tiny cracks of the door.

I yawned, feeling particularly warm. I stretched one arm up and froze when I heard a small hum.

Looking over, I saw Lyra cuddled up right next to me. One hand on my chest, her cheek rested against me, she moved a little, throwing her leg over mine. Tangling us up further.

She was melted into my side like she was supposed to fit perfectly there. I felt incredibly guilty for making her cry last night and I knew I should probably move away from her.

But I couldn't bring myself to move an inch. So I tightened my hold on her and fell back asleep to enjoy her being right next to me.

-----

I cracked my eyes open again for the second time this morning. Stretching my arms I noticed a cold, bare spot next to me. Lyra was gone, no longer curled to my side. I looked around the cave. Empty, bow and arrows gone.

Sighing, I stood up and changed into a new set of clothes. I put on my light brown jacket, feeling the cold chip in the air. It was steadily getting cooler now. Walking out of the cave, I sat outside for a while. Lyra was nowhere to be seen.

Worry gnawed at my insides like the guilt that ate me alive earlier today.

She's fine. She can take care of herself. Probably just checking the snares.

But what if there was a bear?

Lyra's smart. Plus, we haven't seen a bear around here.

Yeah, but still. It'd be all your fault if she got hurt and you weren't there to protect her.

I growled frustratedly at my mental, one sided argument and stood up to go find Lyra.

"Lyra," I called quietly every now and again as I walked through the forest. This was a truly beautiful place. The sun dappled the pine needle floor and birds sang cheery melodies.

At the base of a large pine tree, I stopped and leaned against the trunk.

"Lyra," I called again. No answer.

"Hey Nate."

I stood upright and looked around. No one was around me. Going around the tree trunk, I found I was still alone.

"Morning!"

I turned around and bumped nose to nose with Lyra. We both rubbed our noses and said embarrassed sorry's.

"What are you doing?" I raised an eyebrow. Lyra was hanging upside down on one of the lowest branch of  the tree like a bat, her hair dangling freely below her.

"Getting a good view. Hey, look what I got in the thicket," she hung by her legs and dug through her pack. I nervously positioned myself underneath her incase she fell. She grinned proudly and held out three rock grouse, each shot straight through the eye.

"Wow, nice," I grinned, examining the medium sized birds. No doubt that they'd taste just like chicken.

"They're stupid birds, they are," Lyra chuckled and folded her arms across her chest, still upside down, "I walked up to them and shot them in the four yard range."

"Um, yeah. Please come down before you fall and hurt yourself," I begged, taking the grouse from her to store in my backpack.