41: She didn't plan on me

Ally (Nathan and Jakes little sister)-

"Okay, I'll give you an oral medicine for this little guy. What would you prefer, pill or liquid?" I asked, scribbling down on my chart for calf 407.

"Pill please," Mr. Antheaser said with a smile, scratching the calves ears.

I nodded and turned to my truck, pulling the tailgate down and shuffling around in the organized back. Finding a syringe of cortisone and a bottle of antibiotics for cattle, I also grabbed a 'pill popper'.

Grabbing a quarter sized pill from each bottle, I snapped a pill into the pill popper chamber. Throwing one leg over the calf's back, and lifting its chin up with one hand, I gently but firmly slid the popper into the calf's mouth and down its throat.

Pushing the plunger down on the top of the popper, I pushed the pill down the calf's throat so he wouldn't spit it up. I made sure he swallowed it and released the poor thing. Quickly sticking the needle into his hip, I administered the cortisone.

I stepped away as he snorted and shook his head, sending snot flying everywhere. He bawled in annoyance and his mother tugged at her rope, wanting to comfort her baby.

"There you go. Two of these twice a day for the next week. I assume you have a popper?" I sat on the tailgate and picked up my clipboard, looking at the farmer expectantly.

"Oh yes, of course. Is there anything I should be worried about? I hope it's nothing contagious," he said anxiously, nervous for his herd. 

I smiled at him, "Nah. It's pretty common for early spring calves to get pneumonia. I want you to watch his breathing since he's so young but I gave him a shot of cortisone to give him a boost, so he should be alright."

"That's good to hear, thank you Ally," he grinned and held out his hand, "Just send me the bill and I'll see you in a few  weeks for check ups."

I shook his hand firmly and smiled, "You got it Frank, watch those early calves."

"Will do," he said, releasing my hand to turn to untie the mother.

I loaded up all of my stuff and slammed the tailgate shut. Climbing into the drivers seat, I pulled out of the farms driveway and headed back to the clinic. I sighed and sat back in my seat. I loved my job, farm calls and all, but I just wasn't feeling it today. It was always fun to be a veterinarian with new challenges everyday but something was bothering me.

In the back of my mind, it was hard to ignore the fact that Nathan hadn't called once. He had been gone for god knows how long and hadn't called at all. Not me, mom or even Jake.

He did say that he may be up there longer than usual but I just had a bad feeling. I huffed unhappily, I'm turning out to be like my mother.

I honestly didn't know why he dedicated three months of the year to hunting. Don't get me wrong, hunting is fun and I love it, but that was a little long, even for him. Really I think it's because dad stifles him with the ranch.

One day, Nathan's just going to pick up and take off and never come back. I chewed my bottom lip thoughtfully before pulling out my phone and attaching it to the dash.

"Call mom," I said to voice command.

Ringing filled my truck as I waited for her to pick up.