Chapter 28: Heart to Heart

Clary looks at her younger yet more powerful friend, after what she just witnessed she should be terrified of this girl, but something within her told her that this girl, this child, this angel wouldn't hurt her, not on purpose. Alice's eyes were guarded, showed no emotion what so ever, Clary didn't blame her, she just killed her own mother, her own mother betrayed her the worse way possible. How is she even holding it together right now? Why is she giving me my memories now of all times, she should be crying her eyes out in her room or something. Clary thought, Distraction the word came from the back of her mind as if it was the most obvious thing in the world, which now it really was.

Clary realised that Alice was waiting for her to reply, she is actually giving me the choice? Whether or not I get my memories back. Clary smiles a little and nods, "Yes I am ready, I have been ready for so long." For just a second she was sure that she saw a glance of relief flow over Alice's eyes, but she wasn't sure for sure because her eyes were guarded once again.

Alice nods, bringing her stele out, even though she didn't need it, she liked using it, it reminded her of her father, when he gave her the stele for the first time;

I ran up to him and jumps up at him, he caught me. "I am ready dad, mum says you have something to give me, she said it is a stele and it's how I draw the runes on myself."

"I will go and get it for you, you go and wait at the front door, and I need you to be sensible on this trip, this is important remember."

I walked to the front door as was asked of me, I was so excited to see what it would look like, to see the design, I was moving back and forward on my heels, I was so impatient I just wanted to see it already. That's when I heard his voice, thick with worry but also pride, "Here you go Alice."

I take it smiling, I look at it feeling the design in my hand, it was blue, sapphire it was perfect, it had silver angel wings wrapped around it, the detail was perfect, everything about it was perfect.

"It's beautiful, and my favourite colour! Thank you, dad."

Alice shook her head away, shaking the thoughts away, she took a steady breath to stop her hand from trembling, with that single breath her hand was steady, she realised that Clary was watching her, she forced her lips to a smile, "Sorry, do you have the angelic rune?"

Clary watched her, in that moment Alice revealed all of her emotions she felt when she zoned out, happiness, excitement, then sadness, regret and loneliness. When she came back wherever her mind wondered her wall was up again. She has to let someone in, this is going to destroy her if she lets it, I hope she lets someone in, it doesn't have to me, Jace, I hope she lets Jace in. Then she realised the question, "Angelic Rune?"

Alice rolled her sleeve up, though she probably shouldn't have, she had scars everywhere, no one had seen them except Magnus when he saw to her wounds. She heard the gasp escape from Clary. She pointed at the Angelic rune. Clary just shook her head, she didn't trust her voice, and she knew Alice didn't want sympathy.

Alice nods rolling her sleeve down, she knew Clary was sympathetic towards her right now but she didn't want it, the eyes that everyone would give her, those eyes of sorrow, she didn't need it, she didn't want it, "I will start by drawing that then ok? It will sting and maybe hurt a little, the first one always hurts the most but then it gets easier I promise."

Alice leans forwards a little, she gently moved Clary's sleeve of her shoulder then started drawing, the door suddenly opened, with someone shouting, "Are you ok? What is going on?" As if the person wasn't watching, Clary jumped out of her skin by the sudden noise, though Alice didn't her hand was still steady as ever as she drew the rune on her, when she finished drawing the rune, she leaned back, looking at Clary who had her teeth gritted. She turned to look at the person who intruded her and Clary's privacy. Alec stood there in the doorway.