#29

~1462~

"Yes, honey?" They heard a voice through the crowd. 

Manik froze at his spot. His back stiffened and his face went blank, he held Nandini closer to him, his hands going around her back and resting on her stomach. Nandini noticed his change on demeanor, which confused her.

"Mom! Where's dad?" She asked the woman who had just emerged from the crowd in a red shimmery gown, heavily bejeweled and made up, her hair tied up in a bun with specks of glitter all over her face and hair, a glass of wine similar to theirs in her perfectly manicured hand. She was a perfect portrait of wealth, just like her daughter. 

"Oh, sweetheart. You know your father, don't you? He is busy talking with the owner of Mercedes about the new models"

(That would be so cool. *sigh*)

Sophisticated speech. Check. 

"Anyway mom, this is Manik Mal-"

"My darling, I quite perfectly know who this young man is" She said, her voice rising and falling like she was some kind of an opera singer. 

Annoying speech. Check. 

"Mr. Malhotra! What a pleasure! I am Maya Saxena, Alya's mom and the wife of the owner of the Starwood Boutiques, worldwide" She said, forwarding her hand glistening with a diamond studded ring. 

Boastful speech. Double check. 

Manik simply nodded his head and shook her hand before returning them back to Nandini's stomach. 

Nandini stood there, a little amused at the exchange of words she was experiencing before her. 

"And who is this young lady, may I ask?" She questioned, looking at Nandini, and though she was smiling, anyone could tell how fake it was. Her eyes narrowed when she noticed he was Manik was holding Nandini against him, like his life depended on it. 

Nandini opened her mouth to answer but Alya beat her to it. 

"She is just Manik's P.A." she said, not trying hide her disgust at all.

"And my girlfriend, too." Manik finished for her. 

Maya's eyes narrowed dangerously as studied his face for any kind of signs that said he was lying. He seemed pretty serious. She looked her over. She definitely didn't imagine him having a friend. Him having a girlfriend took her shock to a whole new level.

"Now if you'll excuse us, please" Manik said as he gently led Nandini away from them to the other part of the place, which was crowded by less amount of people. He did not want to meet with that man. 

Manik rubbed and pressed his temples, shutting his eyes tightly and sighing heavily before regaining his composure. 

"Are you okay?" Nandini asked him, her hand on her clean-shaven cheek. She looked into is eyes and knew that he wasn't. 

"Manik" She said softly. 

A soft melody began to play and the lights dimmed, creating a serene but romantic atmosphere. The men started to ask women for a dance. Soon the center of the room was filled with dancing couples.

"Let's dance" Manik said looking at the dancing couples.

Nandini understood what he was doing. She was ready to give him time if that's what he needed. 

"Let's" She said, looking into his eyes and letting him lead the way. 

Manik turned to Nandini and pulled her closer by her waist. His one hand rested on her waist. He took one of her hands in his and twined them, holding it up. Her free hand made its way to his broad shoulder, as their bodies softly swayed with the music. He committed a mistake of making eye contact with her and no matter how hard he tried, he couldn't look away, couldn't help but drown in the love her eyes reflected.