5. Reasons

I stare at Judar's body, my eyes running over the scars along his body. Dark patches cover his skin, and I stop myself from reaching out to touch them. His eyelids are sealed shut, and he's so still he could be dead. Even his breathing is shallow and inaudible.

"What will happen to him?" I ask, my eyes turning quickly to Koboun who is now sitting beside Judar, using some sort of fan to heal him.

"He'll live," Princess Kougyoku interjects, "He has to get revenge on that-"

"(F/N)," a strained voice calls out. My head whips around to see Judar, his eyes half lidded, however still making the usual smirk.

I crouch down so our faces our level before responding, "What is it?"

"Where's my fruit?" He asks, and I almost burst out laughing. I use a hand to cover my mouth before searching the room for the bag. How in gods name could he be thinking about fruit at a time like this. Not that I won't oblige and give it to him, but it's ridiculous.

I search for a few moments around the room, and the small second room adjacent to it, but with no luck whatsoever. I distinctly remember leaving the bar with the fruit in tow, so it should be here...

Finally I give up, and sit down beside him, shaking my head, "I don't know where they are," I admit, "But I can always go out and get more."

The look on his face sends shivers up my spine, "Don't go out there he's-" he catches himself, leaving me to wonder what he was going to tell me next, then continues, "Forget it, just stay inside."

"Is it really that dangerous out there?" I ask, getting up and heading towards the window.

Everything in the city looks normal. Yellow lights flicker in various windows, and there are still a few people walking along the dirt paths that pass for roads. My eyes scan the horizon, searching for some great battle scene where two Magis could face off in battle. But there's nothing. Just the city, which grows quieter as the night drags on.

I still lean out the window, my eyelids growing heavy, but something causes them to shoot open. I run at my eyes for a moment, before my stomach twists in knots. A little ways off, on another rooftop, I spot a purple haired man speaking with another white haired one. It has to be them.

I try to convince myself it's not, so that my hopes won't be shattered when I'm correct, but it's difficult. I've waited so long-

"I'm going to step out for a bit," I announce heading towards the door, a slight skip in my step as my heart pounds in my chest.

"No." A stern voice commands, as my feet stop in their place.

"I can't let you go out there," the voice repeats, as I turn to see it's Judar speaking. The voice which is demanding and rough sounds nothing like his usual condescending tone.

"Why not?" I ask, my voice raising in pitch as the desire to leave fills me, "I'll only be a minute and-"

"Because I said no," he glares, "We're leaving for Kou tomorrow, just go to bed."

"I don't understand," I clench my fists, "I promise I'll be right back, I just saw someone-"

"Oh it wasn't Sinbad was it?" He asks, as a sinking feeling forms in my stomach.

"How do you know that?" I ask, wringing my hands together.

"Doesn't matter," he shrugs, the slyness returning, "Hurry up and go to bed."

"Judar."

He ignores me, so I repeat myself, still with no luck. I try making a move for the door, but the magi quickly seals it using an ice spell.

"You shouldn't be using your magic when you're this weak," Koubon chastises him.

"Then you make sure she stays," Judar replies, rolling over on the bed lazily.

"As you wish," Koubon obediently obliges.

I shake my head in frustration, and return to the window. It's too small to jump out of, but if I used my djinn I could make it work-

"Don't do it," Koubon says from behind me, making me jump.

I peer out the window again, ignoring him, only to see the pair of men from before have vanished.

"Dammit," I mutter, turning to face the sleeping Magi, "Why?" I whisper, saying it more to myself than anyone else.

"I'm sure he has his reasons," Koubon tells me, "For now just get some rest."

•••

I lean over the side of the ship, not speaking to anyone who attempts to strike up a conversation. I'll admit to being upset over what happened last night, but now I'm more curious than anything else. It had to be Sinbad, Judar suggested it himself. But how does he even know about Sin? I've never once mentioned anything about my past to him, though he did know a lot from other sources. And if Judar suggested it, then Sinbad has to be in Balbadd, or at least he was last night. Not that it matters. I'm already at the Kou empire, a long ways off from Balbadd.

As the boat lurches to a hault, I aid in tying down the ship, as the Princess and the others get off. I follow closely behind them, as Judar demands, and quickly we arrive at the castle.

"Meet me in the courtyard later Princess," Judar tells me, before walking off.

I stand still, unsure what to do, or even what to think. I nod, knowing I'll have to go meet him and get answers.

I have to figure this out.

A/N: I apologize for the "eh" chapter, and for taking so long to update, however! I will be updating three times this week because I have all the way to chapter Nine already written!