19. Boundaries

I sit alone in my room, staring out at the ocean, wondering if Sinbad is finally on his way back. It's been over three weeks since he'd left. I don't know why I expected any different... He was vague when I asked him when he'd come back, which I didn't pay much mind to, but now I wish I'd probed further. I guess there's much he's chosen to keep me out of. He didn't even tell me where he was going, just an 'I'll be back before you know it'.

While he's been gone, I've been spending time with all of Sinbad's generals, who've turned out to be quite entertaining. They're all interested in the stories I have to tell about Sinbad, and more specifically my relationship with him. Maybe a little too interested. Though, other than Ja'Far and Hinahoho, none of them knew about me before I showed up, so it's understandable. They fussed over me relentlessly to the point of tiring me out. That's why I'm in bed currently.

I stare at the paper and pencil sitting in front of me, and wonder what to write. I'm supposed to be composing a letter to send to my sister Aria, but I don't know what to say. It's been a long time since I've written anything to her, almost a decade. There's a lot to talk about, and so much I want to just say to her face, but I'm not sure when I'll be able to see her again. Maybe if Sin gets back soon he can travel to Tenrou with me, but I don't even know if he'll be back before her coronation, let alone in time for us to travel there.

I look down at the paper again, and grasp the pencil in my hand firmly, as I begin writing.

'Dear Aria,
I'm sorry I haven't written to you since I left Tenrou, but I know you understand my reasons. A lot has changed since I saw you, and I'm honestly scared to see you again. Still, I'm going to try to come to your coronation, but it's not entirely in my control.
I wanted to tell you I've reunited with Sinbad, and again, it's intense and wild but fulfilling. I'm safe again, and I have people I truly trust to watch my back, like you always used to. I know now this is where I'm meant to be, and I have no plans on leaving anytime soon. I still love him. More than I've ever loved him before, and I'm finally ready to settle down. Who knows what the future will bring, but I hope to see you soon.

Love, (Y/N)'

I read over the letter multiple times, making sure I've said what I wanted to say, and after minor changes I'm happy with it.  I place the letter unsealed beside my bedside table, wanting to read it over once more in the morning, in case my lack of sleep has effected my judgement. I let out a loud yawn, as I blow out the candle beside me. The smell of smoke fills the air around me, as I rest my head on my pillow. As I shut my eyes, images of Sinbad's return fill my head, bringing a smile to my face.

Sinbad's POV

"Glad to finally be back," I tell Ja'Far as we pull into port. We move quickly towards the castle, as many guards and knights graciously. I return their kind looks, brushing past them within the castle walls.

As I enter the castle, Pisti, Yamraiha, Sharrkan, and Spartos are waiting for me. I debrief them on the details of my journey, as they describe the various conversations they've had with (Y/N). I fight the urge to laugh while hearing their understanding of me when I was younger. A "pervy troublemaker" is what (Y/N)'s made me out to be. Of course.

"Where is she now?" I ask them, ready for a reunion after abandoning her for so long.

"She already went to her room!" Pisti explains, "I think we wore her out."

I nod understanding, "I'll go to see if she's awake then, thank you."

We all exchange good nights, as I begun ascending the stairs to reach (Y/N). No light shines into the hallway from the space below her door, meaning that she's most likely not awake. I knock on the door softly before opening it anyways, hoping she hasn't fallen asleep completely yet.

The moonlight from the window illuminated the bed, allowing me to see (Y/N), fast asleep. As I cross her room, I can see more clearly her (h/c) hair is fanned out around her head, laying in the pillow. A few stray locks frame her face, making her look far younger, and more innocent than I know she is. Her eyebrows are furrowed on her face, but then as I run a hand over her cheek, they relax, as a calm look covers her face. I smile as this happens, wondering what she must be thinking of.

I can see a piece of paper alongside her bed, and I pick it up to examine it, realizing it's a letter. It isn't addressed to me, so I place it back down, and go back to watching (Y/N). I wish she was awake so we could talk. I feel terrible about leaving for almost an entire month. Especially without giving her any details beforehand. It's alright though, I'll fill her in on my journey to Kou tomorrow. I'm sure she's interested in knowing how my conversation with Judar went.

Once again, my eyes linger on the letter beside me, begging me to open it and read it. I resist for a minute, before only glancing at it slightly. My eyes linger on the line 'I'm finally ready to settle down'. I immediately put the paper back down, regretting even looking at it like I did.

"What do you want me to do about that?" I murmur to the sleeping woman, who's slow and steady breathing is the only sound filling the room.