23. The Dance

When the song is over, my head is still spinning even though my body has stopped. The man I was dancing with went overboard on the turns, making my stomach lurch. I'm glad to part ways with him, even though he was friendly, because I don't think I could've lasted another song.

Instead, I head back over to Aria, who's still talking with Sin. I'm still a ways off when she locks eyes with me and motions for me to go back. I grudgingly oblige, heading over to get a drink before heading back out to dance. A few girls I don't recognize approach me, asking me questions about where I've been, but I don't offer them any, instead I simply shake my head as if I have no idea what they're talking about. This forces them to give up angrily, and leaves me to head back into the fray.

The beat to the next song is more upbeat than the last, giving me an opportunity to dance without someone else leading. My favorite kind of dance. This time, I spin around on my own accord, drowning out the sound of the onlookers, focusing on the steady rhythm in the air. My hips sway with it, as I spin, my dress flaring out at every turn, taking up more than my share of space. My hands extend outward as a grin appears on my face. I feel the air rushing around my bare hands, as I spin faster and faster, until I'm dizzy. When the song comes to an end, I take a deep breath, I'm tired from the never ending movement, but still somehow I have energy to continue.

Suddenly, a hand is extended out towards me. I look up to see Sinbad, his smile warm and inviting. I place my hand in his, feeling his callouses, and appreciating his comfortable grip on me. His other hand finds it way to my waist, pulling me closer to him, as I place my hand on his broad shoulder. I look up at him as the next song begins, a waltz. His eyes look eager and excited in a way I can't quite place, some good must have come from talking to my sister... The thoughts of what it could be slip my mind as my focus returns to Sinbad. He manages to maneuver around the floor, without taking his eyes off of mine. All the while spinning me around in delicate circles, the music twirling around us. Slowly, everything begins falling away again, and it's just us dancing. In this moment, I know I love him, more than I will love anything or anyone else ever again. My heartbeat quickens, as I rest my head on his chest for a moment, hiding my flushed face. He knows though, he can tell I'm too giddy to stand all these thoughts, but he tells me to pick my head up anyways, just so he can admire me. I laugh at his words, wondering if he knows how much they mean, and I wonder if he enjoys dancing as much as I do, or if he prefers when we're off fighting together. To me, I don't care what it is as long as this feeling is there. The feeling that we'll always have each other.

As the song ends, I can't bear to let go of him, so I linger, his hand in mine, my hand on his shoulder, his on my waist. He doesn't part either, letting me have my way, at least for another moment.

"Thank you," I whisper, giving his hand a small squeeze as we break apart.

He squeezes my hand back and gives a bow, as another woman comes and asks him to dance. His eyes find mine as soon as the words leave her mouth, and I give a nod, deciding I won't dance the next song anyways. I need to find Aria.

She stands alone on the edge of the dance floor, watching the couples move in sync with the music. She bobs her head ever so sightly, keeping time with the beat. My arm wraps around hers as I join her, bringing a smile to her face. When she looks at me, the smile widens, showing me her gleaming teeth in a giant toothy grin. She's going to try to keep something from me, it's the same grin I've seen thousands of times when she's trying to hide something. Not a bad something, but a good one.

"Spill it," I tell her, squinting my eyes slightly.

She shakes her head pretending to be unaware of what I'm talking about. I let out a quiet groan, "Please tell me."

"I have no idea what you're talking about." She hums, her eyes returning to the dancers.

"What did you and Sinbad talk about?"

She ignores my question, so I give her a little pinch on the arm.

"Hey!" She exclaims, rubbing at her arm like it hurt more than I know it did.

"Tell me!" I whine, getting annoyed with the game she's playing.

"We talked about... Country stuff?" She says, obviously making it up.

"If you don't tell me-"

"You'll find out soon enough," she sighs, "Just be patient for once!"

I roll my eyes, then turn to look at Sinbad, graceful as ever, leading the woman from earlier in dance. She seems enthralled by his charm, and can't take her eyes off of him, yet he keeps looking over to me. It sends a jolt of excitement through my body as the corners of my mouth turn upwards.

"You looked happy when you were dancing with him," Aria tells me, "Really happy."

I hum a quiet yes, knowing that there's no way to really show how happy I felt being with him.

A/N: I'm crying because I don't want to finish this book. I don't want to quit writing it because I love the story so much, and all of the characters I love so much, but things have to come to an end eventually. Only a few more chapters to go! Love you guys and thank you for making writing this worth it for me.