17. Regrets

I slowly open my eyes, as I register the familiar and steady lull of a ship, the same ship I was on yesterday. I'm back in my bedroom, with only a candle providing any light. I want to thank whoever left it burning for me, but there's no one around. I shrug, as I begin to sit up. A groan escapes from my throat before I can stop it, and echoes through the room. I laugh at the creepy noise, but then groan again from the pain that comes with laughing. I can't catch a break.

I lay down again, addressing my situation. Bandages cover my torso beneath a long linen shirt, and there's a few more smaller bandages around my leg, my arm, and my head. I don't remember hitting my head, but I guess anything is possible. I attempt to sit up one more time, this time managing to breathe through the pain. It's still a lot to handle, but I want to move around and find someone to talk to. I begin to stand, leaning on the bed post for support, and find my legs to be shaky. After what seems like forever, I make it to the door, turning the knob slowly, and entering the hallway. I take my time making it to the door a few down from mine, hoping Sin will be there so I can see him.

I open the door to see him asleep in bed, his face contorted into a weird expression, like he's stuck in a bad dream. I hobble over to the opposite side of the bed from him, and plop down, grateful to be off my feet again. I let out a sigh as I lay out beside him, wondering if I should wake him up. If it's a bad dream then I don't think it should be an issue.. I nudge him a few times, but he doesn't respond. I shove him a little harder and it seems to do the trick. His eyes fly open, then fall onto me.

"Hey, you're not supposed to be up." He tells me, his voice still sounding half-asleep.

"Well I'm not up now."

He nods as he rubs his eyes, looking over to me for a second before sitting up and facing the wall across from us. As he moves, the blankets pool around his waist, exposing his bare torso. My eyes trace the muscles on his back, as I wish he'd turn around and look at me.

"How do you feel?" he asks, sounding dull and weirdly unemotional.

"I feel fine," I lie, "I don't know what the fuss is about."

"I was kind of worried back there," he admits, "But you pulled through."

"Told you I would," I wink, trying to reassure him. He still doesn't catch my glance, and faces the away from me. He hums slightly, but then goes silent. This silence isn't the comfortable one I'm used to having between us, instead it's tense, making me feel like I should've stayed in my own bed. Finally he turns around, a sad smile plastered on his face. It's not the gleeful one I'm used to seeing, and it catches me off guard.

"What is it?" I ask, unable to tolerate the fakeness anymore.

"I'm glad you're safe," he says, laying back down beside me. He moves closer to me, his arms wrapping around me gently, as he whispers an almost inaudible apology.

----

Yet again, I find myself in Sinbad's bed, as he refuses to leave my side. It's nice to know he's there for me, but I can't help but feeling like I'm holding him from his other responsibilities. He of course, just delegates them to Ja'Far, who does them without thinking twice. I guess he's used to doing the paperwork around here, but I still feel bad about it.

"So now can you tell me what happened to you?" he asks suddenly.

"I think you're taking advantage of the fact that I'm stuck here talking with you," I tease, "But yes I can tell you."

He waits eagerly for my story, but I'm not sure what his response will be, which makes me nervous about telling him in the first place. I'd been putting it off all the time that I'd been with him, for this very reason. I know I'll have to tell him eventually, and there's no sense in lying to him about it, so I delve right in.

"When I was in Sasan all those years ago with Mystras and Ja'Far, I got a letter from my sister Aria, telling me that my Mother decided to marry me off to the Prince of Edindrae. At the time, I knew that I was already in love with you, and that I certainly didn't want to go off to live with him. So Aria told me to run away. And I did, but there were people after me. Both the Prince, and my Mother sent people looking all over for me, and it was hard to stay hidden. Even years later, they kept looking, the threat never really went away. It turned out, that the Prince still hadn't married, because he needed to marry someone from my country as a part of a peace agreement, and my Mother refused to give up my sister. She wanted her on the throne, so it had to be me. I didn't bother making my way here in fear of drawing attention, that was, until Judar saved me. I was captured by some of the Prince's men, so Judar faked my death, in exchange I went to work for him at the Kou Empire. Eventually I snuck away to here, and well, I guess you know the rest."

He nods slowly, "I'm glad you made it here in one piece," he grins.

"Me too."