Chapter 42

Kol and I awoke not long ago. We were eating breakfast when Rebekah called me.

"Should I answer?" I asked Kol, wanting his input.

He shrugged his shoulders, "Why not? The white oak stake is out with Alaric, for all we know."

This made me answer the phone quickly with sass, "What?"

"Cut the attitude. Sorry that I hurt your friend's feelings," Rebekah said, most likely rolling her eyes.

"What do you want?" I asked with a sigh, running my hand through my hair.

She took a deep breath, "When I came home last night, no one was home. Nik won't answer the phone."

"What? We talked to him last night," I said, furrowing my eyebrows in confusion. 

Kol's ears perked up as his head flickered up.

"When? He was not here when I got home," Rebekah said, her voice starting to quicken.

"Like around 11:30. Put her on speaker," Kol said, standing up from tying his shoe.

Rebekah sighed, "I only called just now because I figured he would come back later. I ended up falling asleep and he hasn't been home since."

"He could not have been staked," I said, my voice beginning to tremble.

"We have no way of knowing. You nor Basil are sired by Nik. We have to find Alaric or someone sired by Nik," Kol brainstormed ideas aloud.

Rebekah nodded her head against the phone, "Kol, can you find Alaric? We need to know what is going on."

"Yes, spy on him. I call getting Elijah!" I said so that Rebekah could hear me loud and clear.

"What? Why you? I should get him," Rebekah frowned.

I rolled my eyes at her, "Well I called it. Plus, you have been extremely rude so at least try to make it up to me."

"Fine. I will get word from around town and see if anyone from Nik's bloodline is dead," She said with a nod of her head.

"Great," We hung up the phone and I felt anxious.

I turned to Kol, "Nikki is scaring me. What if he is actually gone?"

Kol shook his head vigorously, "No. He cannot be. I would feel it."

I wrapped my arms around his waist and kissed his jawline, "You're right. He cannot be gone."

"I guess I will go then and find Alaric. Call Elijah," Kol said, kissing my head before pulling away.

"Be careful," I said as he walked away.

He turned and grinned at me, "Don't worry about me, darling."

When he was gone, I called Elijah on the phone.

"Alexandria?" Elijah said in a slight surprise.

"Hey," I smiled at the sound of his voice.

I felt him smile back, "What do I owe the pleasure of your call?"

My smile faltered and my lips pursed, "Something has happened."

"I am gone for only a little and everything turns to hell," He said with a chuckle.

I explained everything to him which took a while. Now he was not laughing too much.

His voice was stiff as he spoke, "I will come at once. I am getting in my car right now."

"Meet  me at my house," I told him.