Chapter 34

"Stile, an arrangement of steps that allows people, but not animals, to climb over a fence," Scott reads from his computer as Lydia, him, and I sit in the library

I shake my head,"Yeah, somehow I don't think these are the stiles we're looking for."
"Maybe Malia's found something," Scott suggests.
Lydia lets out a sigh and rests her head on her hands,"No. She's been taking a make-up test all morning."
We continue to search for anything that could do with the word stiles, hoping that if we saw something it could trigger any memories on what it could mean. I begin to look through another website when I hear a loud howl echo through the hallway. The three of us look at eachother, realizing it must be Malia, and getting up quickly. Lydia and I follow Scott as he tracks her to a storage room downstairs. As we walk in, we hear her growling loudly, and turn the corner to see her full coyote, hunched in a corner.
"Malia, it's okay. You're safe," Scott tells her softly, trying to get her to calm down, which earns him a growl as my dad, and Lydia's mom walks in.
Scott and I walk forward a few steps,"Malia, we're not gonna hurt you."
"I think she's calming down," Scott states as she growls again.
All of us back up a little as my dad states,"Maybe you should growl back, you are the alpha."
I put a hand on his shoulder,"Scott, we're in her territory, that's why she's angry, we need to back up.
They all listen to my comment as the back up slowly. And when we turn the corner, Lydia states,"Malia came here to get through the full moons. Then we started using the lake house."
Lydia's mom frowns,"I thought you said a wild animal got into the lakehouse."
"Just be happy about all the things I don't tell you," Lydia states with a roll of her eyes.
Just as Natalie was about to argue back, the growling stops, and out walks a naked Malia, making us all look away.
"It's alright, I'm okay," Malia says as Natalie hands her clothes.
My dad leans in to us and whispers,"Any idea what made her shift?"
Scott shrugs his shoulders,"She's under a lot of pressure. School, her life, after graduation."
"Her mom trying to kill her," Lydia adds.
I shake my head,"That shouldn't make her shift though. Could it be connected to Stiles?"
"Hard to tell since we don't know what a Stiles is," Lydia replies.
"It's a he," My dad says, getting our attention. He then explains,"Stiles, it's a family nickname. I never used it, but my father did."
During our free period and lunch, we head over to my parent's house, to talk to them about my grandfather, I knew nothing about. When growing up, we hardly saw either grandparents, seeing as my mom's side were dead before I was five. My dad never really got along with his father, and his mother died long before I was born, so we needed to figure out if this had anything that would help us figure out who Stiles was.
As we sit down on the couch, my mom walks in with a metal box, handing it to my dad. He pulls out a picture and explains,"He was an Army engineer." He passes it around, and I looked down at my grandfather for the first time as he continues,"Ended the war one bridge at a time."
"And he went by Stiles?" I ask, as I look down at the young man in the uniform.
"So what's this got to do with the Wild Hunt?" my dad asks.
Scott looks at us for reassurance, before beginning,"We think that somebody was taken from us."
"Any idea who?"
Scott shakes his head,"Uh, the Ghost Riders would have erased our memories."
"Well that's convenient," my dad states sarcastically.
"We found a clue. The word Stiles." Lydia says hesitantly.
My mom nods understandingly,"And that's why you want to talk to Elias."
"Yeah, maybe he can help us figure it out. Maybe he knows who we're looking for," Scott replies.
"And this is someone your age?"
I nod my head and decide to leave out the part about the fact I thought this Stiles could be my brother,"Yeah, we... we think he was our friend. Maybe even our best friend."
My father stands up and takes the picture from us,"I can guarantee you, my father can't help you."
"Couldn't we try?" Scott asks, eyes desperate.
He lets out a sigh,"Scott, he lives in a nursing home three towns over. Hasn't had a visitor in years.
'Can I use your bathroom?" Lydia asks.
My mom smiles and nods,"Of course, I'm sure you know where it is by now."
When she returns, my dad states,"You're not hearing me. Trust me, you don't want to talk to him."
"We just need a few minutes," I argue.
"Noelle, your grandfather can't help you."
Scott lets out a sigh,"Five minutes, please."
"You know what? You don't just talk to this guy, okay? Just find another way," dad states, raising his voice slightly.
"But what if this is the only way?" Scott asks.
My mom lets out a sigh and stands up, leading us to the door,"Scott, Noelle, you have your answer."
With that we leave in defeat, but I know that Scott probably won't listen, and we'll end up there somehow.
After returning to class and sitting through a painfully boring Spanish class, we met by Malia's locker to discuss what we were going to do, and fill her in as well.
"Stilinski said no, didn't he?" Malia states as she puts a few books in her locker.
Scott lets out a sigh,"Yeah."
Malia smirks and turns around,"But we're going anyway?"
"Yup."
"Or you could stay here and help me convince Gwen she's in danger," Liam suggests hopefully.
Scott shakes his head,"It's not your job to convince her. It's your job to keep her safe."
I nod in agreement,"I think I should stay back, I don't want him to remember me, get distracted and stop thinking about Stiles."
Scott nods in agreement as Malia states,"Well you two could just kidnap her."
I roll my eyes,"We're not kidnapping her."
"We'll be back tonight after we talk to Stilinski's dad." Scott adds.
"Do we really have to do this?" Malia asks.
Scott nods and lets out a sigh as the begin walking away from us,"He's our only lead."
"Okay, what if the Ghost Riders show up?" Liam asks.
Scott stops and turns around,"Then the two of you and the others will handle it. Just find a safe place for Gwen and keep her there."
"Kidnap her," Malia whispers as Scott walks out of the building.
"Do not kidnap her!"
After our conversation with Malia and Scott, Liam and I go and meet the others, feeling rather old when I sat amongst them.
"Until we find a place for Gwen, we need to know her location at all times," I tell them as I look up at Gwen who is asking people on the second level of the library if they knew where her sister was.
"Okay, that's great while we're at school, but what happens after that? She could go anywhere." Mason states.
Corey nods,"Hayden could ask her."
'We don't have to. I know where she'll be tonight," Hayden replies, pulling out her phone and showing us a picture of a party invite. "Nathan's party. I mean, she's been asking everybody in school about Phoebe. I'm sure she'll do the same tonight."
Liam shakes his head,"We can't keep her safe at Nathan's. We need a place where supernaturals can't get in."
Mason chuckles softly,"I know a place.. The safest place."
Loud music echoes through my ears as I walked through Scott's house. This was Mason's great idea, have a party here instead of at Nathan's, so we can use the mountain ash barrier. It was a great idea beside the fact that this was a party, these people were about to wreck a house that isn't even ours. I've never really liked parties that much, but since I got pregnant, I seem to hate it even more. I let out a groan and pushed through the drunk classmates of mine, and over to the door, where Liam and Mason were standing,
Just then, Nathan walked in, and he seemed pissed. He shoved Liam against the wall and snapped,"You stole my party. What are you gonna steal lacrosse captain too?"
"I didn't think you'd be mad," Liam struggles out.
"How did you think I'd take it?"
I grab his arm and hand him money,"In hundreds."
He smirks and takes the money, walking away as I roll my eyes and turn to the two boys,"I'm starting to think this wasn't a very good idea."
"Scott told us to do whatever it takes to keep Gwen safe." Mason replies.
Liam frowns,"Now what if Melissa shows up? She already doesn't like me."
"She's got the night shift. She won't be home until 4:00 AM, and we'll have this place cleaned up way before then. Look, Scott told us to protect Gwen. And putting her in a house line with Mountain Ash, is a good plan. Believe in the plan."
I feel my phone ring as Liam and Mason walk away, and I'm relieved to see that it was Jordan. He's been so busy with work, and me with school, I feel like we never really get to see each other much besides at home.
I walk into Melissa's room and shut the door behind me, answering the phone quickly.
"Hey J, what's up?" I ask.
"Hey, is that music I head? Are you at a party?" He asks.
"Yeah, Scott, Malia, and Lydia are at the nursing home talking to my grandfather, and left me here to help the others keep this girl named Gwen safe from the Ghost Riders. So we threw a party at Scott's house because he has that mountain ash barrier in his house."
Jordan lets out a sigh and I didn't have to see him to know that he was frowning in concern,"That's a little dangerous getting keeping yourself in a house where Ghost Riders are going to try and go. Are you sure you're going to be okay there?"
I smile at his concern,"I'll be fine. I've got two werewolves with me, and you're just a short drive away."
"Okay, but if you need anything at all, or you think you're in some kind of danger, call me, text me, anything." he tells my, voice stern.
I frown,"What if you see him, what if you get takes, what if-"
"Elle, I'm not going to be taken. I'm more worried about you and our little girl. Promise me you'll call."
"I promise."
"Thank you, I've got to go, but please, call me if you need me."
"I will, we love you, you know that right."
He lets out a chuckle,"I love you too."
As soon as I hang up with Jordan, I see Scott's name pop up on my phone, and I'm quick to answer it, anything to keep me away from that party.
"Hey Scott, how's everything going?"
I hear him let out a sigh,"It may take us a little bit longer, he has dementia and is sundowning according to Lydia."
I nod,"Is she showing him math problems?"
"Yeah, how's everything there, why do I hear loud music."
I let out a sigh and reply hesitantly,"Don't be mad but we decided to throw a party at your house and us the mountain ash barrier to protect Gwen."
"I'm not mad, as long as you help me clean it up before my mom gets home." Scott reples.
"Of course."
"Noelle, you just have to make sure that no one else sees the Ghost RIder, don't let Corey turn him visible. Remember, whoever sees them will be taken."
I nod my head,"Yeah, I'd better get back out there, I'll see you later."
"Bye."
Once my phone is back in my pocket, and take a deep breath before walking out the door, the music becoming louder and louder with every step I took back towards the living room. The crowd had grown considerably. I walk by Mason and Corey dancing, when there was a loud boom of thunder/ The DJ turns the music louder, and everyone cheers and continues to dance as my worry increased, they were coming, I could feel it.
I look over and see Hayden walk over to me,"Come with me to talk to Gwen, she's up in Scott's room."
I nod, and we head upstairs, and find her sitting on Scott's bed, looking down at her bracelet. Before either of us could say anything there was another large crack of thunder, followed by a bright flash of lightning. When I looked back at her, her eyes were focused on a corner of the room, she lets out a scream, and runs down the stairs, and we are quick to follow her. At the bottom stood Liam, Corey, and Mason, the whole party seemed to stop as she runs into Liam.
Liam frowns in concern as he holds her arms,"What's wrong?"
"He's here!" She shouts as she turns around, and backs up. "Up there!" she shouts pointing to the top of the stairs where the invisible. "Do you see him?"
Gwen lets out a scream, and runs the other way, Liam, Hayden, and Mason running after her. Corey grabs my arm and pulls us against the wall, and all of a sudden everything has a green hue, and I turn to see a Ghost Rider. I hadn't seen one before, but it's hollow eyes, decaying face, and a cowboy outfit with spurs that echoed everytime he walked, seemed all too familiar.
"Liam, it's a Ghost Rider!" I shout out, watching as he walks right by us.
"Where?" Liam shouts.
"Headed for the kitchen," Corey replies.
"Right there!" Corey shouts as he reaches out to grab to Ghost Rider.
"Corey, no!" I shout as he grabs the Ghost Rider, making him visible to everyone, it was too late.
Immediately, the Ghost Rider turn to us, I back into the wall in fear as he pauses and stares down at the two of us. He reaches out and shoves me against the wall, causing me to fall to the group. I let out a groan and look up and watch as people look at the guy in shock.
Liam pulls me up from the ground,"Everyone, leave now!"
Mason grabs my arm, and pulls me into the kitchen, before pulling out a jar of mountain ash, and spreading it across the doorway.
We stand in front of the barrier as the Ghost Rider puts his hand on the barrier, only to be kept on that side. That didn't seem to deter the Rider in any way, as he pulls out a whip, and begins hitting the barrier.
"We can't let him get through," Liam calls out before grabbing a lamp and slamming it into the Rider's head. The glass shatters, but does nothing to him, as he simply grabs Liam, and throws him against the wall. I remember what Jordan had told me earlier, so I grab my phone and dial his number, before putting it into my pocket.
The Ghost Rider began hitting the barrier once again, and we watched as it started to break,"Guys, he's breaking through."
Liam and Corey look at each other, before grabbing the Ghost Rider's arms, and try to take him down. But again, he easily takes them down."
Mason and I walk over to Gwen. "Okay, we're leaving right now," Mason states as he grabs her arm and leads her out of the house as I follow behind.
As soon as we get out the door, Gwen shouts,"Stop!"
My eyes are wide in panic as I turn to her,"Go back inside?"
"Yes."
We go back inside as the Ghost Rider, breaks the barrier, his whip catching Gwen's leg, pulling her to the ground. The three of us grab her arms, trying to keep her away as she screams in fear. The Ghost Rider was relentless, and was definitely winning this tug of war battle.
"Freeze!" I hear a familiar voice yell. I look over to see Jordan standing behind the Rider, gun aimed for his back, a look of anger on his face. I was glad he was here, but I could tell he was slightly fearful, and I didn't want him to get hurt.
"Let her go!" He shouts with a voice more angry and assertive than I've ever heard from him before.
"Shoot him Parrish!" Liam shouts as the Ghost Rider doesn't move at all.
"Everyone down now!" Jordan shout, all of us dropping quickly, still holding onto Gwen. Mason wraps his arms around me, as Jordan begins shooting the Ghost Rider in the back several times. It does nothing to him, as he turns around, putting his whip away.
"On your knees!" Jordan shouts, remaining determined. The Ghost Rider walks slowly toward him, but Jordan continues to glare at him, gun steady in front of him. "On your knees," he repeats.
It is quiet for a second, as they stare each other down, Jordan's hand shaking slightly, and I didn't blame him. Staring into the cold dark void where his eyes should be was terrifying. Suddenly a strong wind blew around the Ghost Rider and leaves surrounded him until he disappeared. Jordan slowly lowers his gun, putting it back into its holster as I run over and wrap my arms around him.
He pulls me close to him as I ask,"How did you get here so fast?"
"Honestly, after you called me, a requested to do patrol around your area," He replies.
A smile grows on my face,"Of course you were, thanks for coming here so fast.
He smiles back at me, keeping his arms wrapped around my waist,"I'd do anything to keep my girls safe."
I close the distance between us, and press my lips to his. "When do you get off work?"
He lets out a sigh,"Around three AM.'
"Would you mind picking me up when you get off, I'm gonna stick around and help clean up, as you can see, it's a mess in here." I ask.
He nods,"Sure, but take it easy, all that bending can't be good on your back."
I smile up at him once again,"I'll see you at three then."
"I'll be counting down the minutes," He replies with a smirk, before pressing a kiss to my cheek and walking out of the house.
"Be safe!" I call out as he walks through the doorway and out of the house.
When he leaves, I head to the kitchen to clean, Mason, Corey, and Hayden go to Gwen's house, deciding to stay the night there in case the Ghost Riders tried to come back, Liam staying with me to help clean the house. By the time Scott got home, LIam and I had finished the kitchen, and had started with the living room.
"You said to find a safe place, so we brought the party here," Liam states as Scott looks around his living room in shock.
Scott frowns in confusion,"Who said to throw a party at all?"
"It was the only way to get Gwen to stay here, and we did just that, we saved her." I tell him, sticking up for Liam and our plan.
Scott's eyes widen in shock,"But you saw one of the Ghost Riders, that means your're next."
I let out a sign,"Corey made him visible, I tried to stop him, but I was too late. Everyone at the party saw him."
Liam's eyes widen,"Does that mean..."
"That us two, along with everyone else who saw the Ghost Rider tonight will be taken," I reply quietly, finally thinking about what this could truly mean.
Scott runs his hands over his face,"I should have been here. I mean, we didn't get anything out of Elias."
I walk up and put a hand on his shoulder,"There's nothing you could have done. We'll figure something, we always do. But for now, we've got a lot to clean up before your mom gets home, and we could use the help. It took hour to clean up, and repair anything that was in the living room. Scott and I headed upstairs, Liam had left to go stay at Gwen's house too. I began picking up the red solo cups off Scott's bed, when I heard footsteps walking into the room. I turned and saw my dad standing in the doorway.
I smile tiredly at him,"Hey dad."
He looks around the room and lets out a chuckle,"Looks like a hell of a party."
I let out a sigh, guilt filling my chest as Scott replies,"Hopefully I can get it all cleaned before my mom comes home."
"I'll help," my dad states, walking in the room and picking garbage up off the floor, putting it into a garbage bag.
"Hey Sheriff...I'm really sorry, we should never gone there to see your father," Scott says, eyes filled with guilt.
Dad shakes his head,"No, no, it's okay. I should have been clearer about who he is. And maybe a part of me just didn't want to have to, um admit it." He pulls his shirt over, and reveals a large scar in his shoulder,"This is my dad, Scott. He pushed me through a glass table going after my mom. There's still tiny pieces of glass in there. The doctor told my mother that they'd be there the rest of my life, working their way out. Small price to pay to keep him away from her. That time."
Tears fill my eyes as I imagine my father being beaten around when he was younger,"I'm sorry."
He pats me on the shoulder before sitting on the wooden box in front of Scott's bed,"You know, something you said has been bugging me all day... Something about memories. Have you ever had a dream that's so real that you thought it was a memory?" When we nod, he continues,"Okay, in this dream, I'm lying in bed with Claudia, she was 7 months pregnant at the time. And we were talking about baby names, and how many children we wanted. And I tell her that if we have a son, I want to name him after her father. And she laughs at me and she says, why would you want to saddle some poor kid with a name like that? And I told her, because he's a great father, the kind of father I wish I had, and the kind I hoped to be. At that point she smiles, and says we could name him that, but it wouldn't matter. He'll just be called Stiles anyway."
My eyes widen in surprise, and that confirmed it with me. This missing people, this Stiles was my brother, and I was going to do anything I could to get him back.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Hey guys! I hope you really liked this chapter because I had a lot of fun writing in! I can't thank you enough for all of the support I get from you guys! The amount of votes and encouraging comments has been amazing! Keep it up! Thanks again!
-S