Chapter 35

I wake up to a sharp pain in my leg

I wake up to a sharp pain in my leg. I shoot up to a sitting position breathing heavily, I quickly throw the covers off of my legs to see where the pain was coming from. As soon as I look down at it, I hear a familiar howl, Malia's howl.
From beside me, I hear Jordan let out a groan, and sit up, rubbing his eyes. "Noelle, what's going on, are you okay?"
I nod as he rubs my back soothingly,"Yeah, I'm fine. It's Malia, I think she was shot."
I grab my phone from the nightstand, and call Malia. Almost right away I get an answer, but it's not from Malia, it's Melissa.
"Melissa, is everything okay?" I ask as Jordan reaches over and turns on the lamp.
"Argent and I found two other bodies with their pineal gland missing and then we found Malia, who was full on coyote again, so Argent shot her to keep her from coming after us, she's fine now."
I breath out a sigh of relief,"Alright, thanks Melissa."
"No problem, get back to bed. You need all the sleep you can get."
I hang up my phone and lay my head back on the pillow my eyelids growing heavy. Jordan shuts the lamp back off, and I move to lay my head on his chest. Just as I was about to fall back asleep, I felt hungry, very hungry.
I sat up slowly, looking over at my sleeping boyfriend,"Pst, Jordan, hey."
He lets out a groan,"Yeah babe?"
"Are you hungry at all? Because I could really go for chicken noodle soup with ketchup."
He sits up and looks at me in shock,"You're so weird. But if that's what you want, I think we have some in the cupboard."
"Perfect, can you make me some?" I ask.
He lets out a yawn and lays back down,"Can't you just wait until morning? I've got a shift in like four hours."
"Fine. I'll make it myself." I say before getting out of bed and walking into our dark kitchen, turning the light on. I pull a can of soup out of the cupboard, putting it into a container, and into the microwave. In the meantime I grab the ketchup and go through our pantry looking for something else to eat. Digging around past all the healthy things we have, I managed to find spray cheese and poptarts.
As I'm eating, I hear Jordan's voice behind me,"What's with all the noise? I thought...'
He stops talking as I turn around with half a poptart covered in cheese hanging out of my mouth, my cheeks full with the rest of it. "Is that... nevermind, I don't want to know. What happened to the soup."
I shrugged my shoulders, swallowing the remaining poptart,"I ate it already."
Jordan continues to stare at me incredulously,"Wow, you and your pregnancy cravings are freaking me out. Come on Elle, let's just go back to bed."
I let out a sigh,"I'm still hungry, but fine."
He lets out a laugh, before grabbing my hand, pulling me back into the the bedroom.

I look up at the ceiling of Scott's house, seeing the dark veins left behind by the point of a lightning strike. "What is that?" Scott asks.
"It's a point of impact from a lightning strike. Usually you'd find charred spots like that on the ground after a violent thunderstorm." Mason replies.
I raise my eyebrows in surprise"Huh, would you look at that. I wonder how we missed this when we were cleaning. I blame Liam."
Liam looks at me and scoffs,"How was this my fault."
"You're a werewolf, how did you not smell this." I say letting out a laugh.
Scott ignores the two of us and states,"That's how the Ghost Rider got in here. If they can use lightning to get past the Mountain Ash, no place is safe."
"What about the others? What about you guys? It's my fault you're marked."
"We'll find a way to protect them." Scott replies.
"And I don't think they are going after supernaturals, at least not yet. None of them have come after any of us. Maybe it's their goal to get rid of everyone else first." I suggest.
We all then head to school, the easiest place to keep an eye on everyone who had seen the Ghost Rider. After grabbing my books, I head to my first period class, wanting to be anywhere but here.
After suffering through the first three periods of the day, I join Mason and Liam in the library, working on some homework.
"The K-index quantifies disturbances in the horizontal component of earth's magnetic field... What's a K-index" Liam asks, causing me to look up from my own homework.
"It's a scale meteorologists use to measure thunderstorm activity. So, a K-Index value less than 20 means no activity, and above 35 is severe." Mason replies.
"How bad is severe?" Liam asks.
I lean over and point at the chart on Mason's laptop,"Well, the average storm has about 1,000 lightning strikes. In the past three months, the average storm in Beacon Hills had 5,000."
Liam frowns in concern,"And what's it reading now?"
"Uh, about 14. We're clear." Mason replies.
"Okay, so if a spike in the K-Index means more lightning, then we can tell if they're coming." Liam says letting out a sigh of relief,"This is good."
I nod with a smile, but when I look back at the screen, it drops as the number begins to rise quickly,"Actually this is really bad."