02 ⤷WHEEZING AND RAMEN

_

_

A few weeks had passed since the incident in the academy.

Thanks to her practice sessions with Itachi and Shisui, Kaiwa was clearly beginning to get ahead of the other students in aim and speed, but always fell short with anything that relied on endurance.

Alongside practicing with Itachi and Shisui, Kaiwa trained with Obito.

It was one night in particular that they found themselves out by the lake together.

After about an hour of gentle sparring, with frequent breaks in between, the two sat by the glistening water.

"Oji-san?" Kaiwa started timidly. Obito hummed in response, encouraging her to continue.

"What if I can't ever be a real ninja?" Obito found himself shocked at his niece's question. Why would she think such a thing?

Obito turned to look at Kaiwa, but she faced the water. She was sitting with her knees to her chest, her short black hair lightly being tousled by the slow wind.

"Of course you will! What's stopping you?"

"These stupid lungs. It's been barely a month, and my teacher has already tried to steer me away from the path of an actual ninja! He told me that since I'm smart, I should just be a battle planner. But I don't want that! I want to be a real ninja!"

Obito's heart fell. He was afraid of this happening, and now it seemed like it was coming true.

But he decided right then that his niece was going to be a ninja, because anyone could see that she was set on it. Not even her own physical limitations would stand in her way.

No matter what, Obito knew he would help Kaiwa become the ninja that she deserved to be.

"Well, maybe he's right."

"What?" Kaiwa finally looked at Obito who had stood up.

"You're smart. But because you're smart, you're going to figure this out. Everyone's got things that try to block their path to what they want... so what? That just means that you've got to work even harder than the rest of the kids in your classes. But you won't be alone. You've got me. And as much as I hate to admit it... you've got... Itachi and... Shisui."

Obito cringed upon saying Shisui's name. The older Uchiha couldn't deny how jealous he was of the kid. Until Kaiwa started hanging out with her two male peers, her free time was spent almost exclusively with Obito. She relied on him for almost everything.

He was all she had.

And she was all he had.

That's the way Obito liked it. Kaiwa was the only family he had, and vice versa, and he cared for her more than anything. It had been the two of them against the world for so long, it felt foreign to share Kaiwa.