04 ⤷A NEW GENERATION

_

_

Kaiwa blinked her sleepy eyes open. It was still dark outside when she looked through the window.

The girl very quietly tiptoed out of bed, taking silent steps across the hard floor. The nurses must've healed her foot as well, because she didn't feel any pain when she walked on it.

Kaiwa made it only a few paces before she heard what sounded like a bear a couple feet away. Kaiwa held her breath as she turned to find the source of the sound.

She started breathing again when she saw that it was only Kakashi, fast asleep in one of the chairs near Kaiwa's hospital bed. Curious as to what he was doing in the room, Kaiwa climbed up onto his lap and tugged on his hair to wake him up. His one-remaining-visible eye opened, and he took a sleepy breath.

"Morning, I guess," Kakashi mumbled, his voice raspy from sleep. He sighed when he looked at the time on the clock. It was the middle of the night.

"What are you doing sleeping in that chair?" Kaiwa poked Kakashi on the cheek. The teen lightly swatted her hand away, still a bit groggy.

"How are you feeling?" Kakashi asked, adjusting Kaiwa on his lap so she wasn't cutting off his circulation.

"I'm... fine... I guess," Kaiwa looked away, then looked back at Kakashi. "That bed is too hard. I wanna go sleep at home."

"Well, Kaiwa... Obito asked me to take care of you. I promised him I would." Kakashi spoke carefully, walking on the eggshells that were Kaiwa's feelings. "You're going to be staying with me."

At the mention of her uncle's name, Kaiwa felt her eyes filling with tears. The realization hit her like a flying kick to the face.

"He's g-gone," Kaiwa sobbed into Kakashi's shirt.

"It'll be okay, Kaiwa," Kakashi spoke comfortingly while he lightly patted her back. He was new to the whole 'affection' thing, but he had to get used to it fast.

Kakashi definitely felt new responsibility now that he was in charge of Kaiwa. He didn't plan on taking his promise to Obito lightly.

"We can leave whenever you want," Kakashi whispered, not sure that Kaiwa could even hear him.

"Can Kumo come too?" Kaiwa asked between sobs, wiping her tears that wouldn't stop flowing.

"Who? Oh, the cat? I suppose."

The white-haired male set Kaiwa back on the ground when he stood up and stretched.

He picked her up in his arms and held her like the baby she no longer was, and he proceeded to pick up the gray and white cat and handed Kumo to Kaiwa. Kakashi walked out of the hospital room, and went down the stairs without any trouble.

Meanwhile, Kaiwa was getting sleepy from the steady movement of Kakashi descending the flights of stairs, as well as the headache she now had from crying so hard. With Kumo curled up on her stomach and the sound of Kakashi's heartbeat right next to her ear that was leaned against his chest, she fell asleep.