23 ⤷ITACHI

_

_

Obito thought that Kaiwa would hit him, or at least yell at him. He knew he deserved it. He pretended to be dead for over fifteen years, and he was right under her nose the whole time. He caused her heartache and misery.

But Kaiwa didn't feel the anger immediately.

All Kaiwa saw was her uncle in front of her.

She fell into his arms, sobbing into his chest. After all that had gone wrong in her life, she felt like there was still something to live for. Naruto and Kakashi thought she was dead, along with the rest of Konoha. And they knew about her crimes, so it was safe to say that they probably never wanted to see her again.

In that moment, it was just Kaiwa and Obito. Neither of them said anything for awhile; Kaiwa cried until her eyes ran dry. She cried so hard that she fell asleep after an hour, and Obito still didn't let her go. He cried too, the salty droplets falling down his face like waterfalls.

"Oji-san is so sorry," he whispered, holding Kaiwa like she'd disappear.

-

Kaiwa woke up after a few hours, and found herself still in the comforting arms of Obito. He was sitting with his back to the wall, with Kaiwa leaning against him. She felt the repressed anger rising slowly, but steadily.

"You lied to me."

Obito's eyes opened. "Kaiwa?"

"You lied to me." Kaiwa pushed him away, moving back towards the fire to face him. "You knew I was alive this entire time. You knew everything about me. How could you keep this from me?"

"It wasn't my choice."

"You almost killed me," Kaiwa continued. "Multiple times."

"I wouldn't let anything happen to you. You know that." Obito's voice had a warning edge.

"What about everyone else who mattered to us? You didn't care enough to help any of them. Or I guess I should say me, because you clearly don't care about anyone but yourself."

"You're the only one I care about." Obito watched Kaiwa with such an intensity that it nearly invoked fear within her.

"Whatever," she muttered, her throat still raw and scratchy. "I need to find Itachi."

"Are you sure that's a good idea?" Obito asked softly.

"I have no choice. But I need to go as soon as possible, or I'm afraid it will be too late."

Obito couldn't say no to her, despite how much he tried. He stood up and pulled on his mask, activating his Kamui. The two swirled into the vortex before reappearing outside in the dark rain.

"The Uchiha compound?" Kaiwa furrowed her eyebrows in confusion. Obito let her down, but her legs were both still shaking, so she nearly fell. But she managed to pull herself together long enough to start walking. She felt the rain soaking into her black hair and hitting her forehead.