Chapter 17

"We made E! news So True So False." Chris and Belle were laying on Belle's bed later that evening. Chris's head was at the foot of her bed as he laid on his stomach flipping through the channels. Belle had her head at the top of the bed her legs casually draped over Chris's as she  absentmindedly rubbed his feet and calves. Chris had been trying to get Belle to laugh, even crack a smile all evening. He was trying to make light of the explosion of their relationship to the public. But Belle seemed to be in another world.

"Huh?" Belle asked distractedly.

"I said we made so true so false." He turned to look at her. "Are you sure you're ok?"

"Yeah, I'm fine." She squeezed his foot with a forced smile. "So what was the verdict?"

"It was.....dun dun dun So unsure!" He rocked back and forth shaking her bed with a goofy grin on his face.

Belle barely cracked a smile.

"Come on Bells what's wrong? Is it the news? Cause I'll release a statement denying it all!" He waited for her response.

"No, I don't want that." She sat up and crawled down next to him. "Are you sure you're ok with it?"

"Baby I told you, there is only one person I care who finds out and how he finds out and he can't read yet."

"So, you told Anna about us?" Belle picked at her manicure.

"Of course I did." He tilted her chin up with his finger forcing her to look at him. "Is that what's bothering you?"

"No." She said a little too quickly, "Maybe a little bit."

"I know how it looked last night and I know how you must have felt when she answered my phone, but I told you my phone was on the table, she read it upside down and thought it was a mutual friend and didn't realize it until it was too late."

Belle rolled over on her back the look on her face a dead giveaway that she didn't particularly buy that story.

"Bells, I told her about you." Chris continued, "I told her I want Jack to meet you as my girlfriend." He slipped his arm across her stomach.

"You do?" She turned to look at him

"Yes! Of course. He thinks you're the pretty lady with the cute dog." Chris laughed.

"Aww, Well I think he's an adorable little man with the cute dad." She smiled.
"Aha!!!" Chris jumped up on his knees bouncing, "A real smile! Finally!"

Belle shook her head. "I'm sorry I just had a long day. Hutch wasn't very happy with me about yesterday. Then this morning all of this. And you're leaving Friday...."

"I know. Wish you could come with me."

"That would be amazing."

"Then we could really give them tabloids something to talk about." He flopped down next to her again leaning down for a kiss.

"I'm going to go grab a beer, do you want one?"

Belle chewed her lip. She knew accepting the offer for beer was a bad idea. Drinking was an unstable path for her. It opened the door to her depression. With what was going on with work, Chris and the tabloids and then him leaving for 3 weeks and her not knowing how that exactly would be, drinking would be the easy escape. But it was a dangerous game for her to play. When Hunter was on the road she would drink to push the uneasy feelings of him being unfaithful away. Chris had no idea of her battle with depression or her struggle with drinking when he had shown up with the beer. She had been to embarrassed to tell him.