Chapter 40

It had been a week since Belle had seen Chris at Matt's house. Leaving work one evening she slung her laptop bag over her shoulder and cut the light to her office out.

"Hey." Hunter called. He was walking down the hallway towards her.

"Hey." She smiled. "What are you doing here?"

"Just stopped by to check on you actually." He admitted.

Belle gave him a look. "You don't need to do that. I'm fine."

"I know. I actually wanted to talk to you about something."

"OK." Belle raised an intrigued eyebrow.

"I think you should talk to Chris."

"What?" She stopped walking. "You're team Chris now?"

Hunter chuckled. "Not quite. I'm always gonna be team Hunter. But I know that ship has sailed. Chris came by your house the night you came over to pay me a visit."

"He did?"

"Yeah, you were already back asleep on the couch. He was really tore up Belle. I told him what happened. He wanted to see you but I knew you weren't up for company."

"No I guess I probably wasn't." Belle hung her head a little.

"My point is I know you pretty well. I know that you're feeling a lot better, you're in a good place right now and that makes me so happy Bells. But I know you're not 100% yourself because you miss Chris. I know what love looks like, and he loves you. I'm sure that Allie had probably tried to talk some sense into you-"

Belle gave him a dirty look.

"OK." Hunter laughed, "Not sense but has told you to talk to Chris. But if your ex-boyfriend is making a plea on his case maybe you should listen."

"Why exactly are you trying to convince me to talk to him again?" Belle wanted to know.

"A couple years ago I screwed up really bad with you. All I want is for you to be happy. That's not with me anymore, but it  is with Chris. You deserve to be happy Bells. If anyone on this earth deserve it, it's you."

Belle went home and changed into some work out clothes before grabbing Killen's leash to go for a run. Instead of heading to the park though she found her way driving the familiar route to Chris's condo. She parked in front and sat there for a minute just staring at it. Killen barked and broke her from her trance.

"Should we go talk to him?" She asked the dog.

Killen barked and wagged his tail.

"Ok." She sighed nervously. Grabbing Killen's leash she hopped out of the car and made her way to the front door.

Chris opened the door after several seconds of Belle waiting. His mouth turned up into a huge smile when he saw Belle.

"Belle." His voice was hopeful.

"Hi." She smiled.

"Hi." He echoed.

It was quiet for a second and they had to laugh at the awkwardness.

"Killen and I wanted to know if you wanted to go for a walk?"

"Yeah!" He replied enthusiastically. Slipping his shoes on and grabbing his keys he followed Belle outside.

They started walking the neighborhood as opposed to going to the park. It was a lot more private to just walk the quiet streets.

"I miss you." Belle finally said.

"Good." Chris said giving her a sly smile.

"I guess I deserve that." Belle shrugged with a roll of her eyes.

"No you don't." Chris nudged her. "I am going out of my mind missing you."

"I don't want to be apart." She admitted.

"You don't? Cause I only want to be with you. I will do what ever you need to feel secure."

"You did do that. It was my fault for letting my imagination get away with me. And the drinking didn't help. I used it to block everything out. But it just made it worse. I haven't had a drink since the night we....broke up."

"That's amazing Bells. You impress me every day with your strength."

Belle laughed, "Well I wouldn't go that far. Strength would be not ever relying on it."

"That's not true. We all go through different things to cope. You need to hold your head up high. You're one of the strongest people I know."

"Thank you." She said quietly.

They continued walking in silence just enjoying being in each other's presences.

"Do you think we could try again?" Belle stopped walking turning to face Chris.

"Are you asking to be my girlfriend?" Chris couldn't hide the smile on his face.

Belle nodded.

"Absolutely." He pulled her into his arms, tilting her chin up to bring her lips to his.