Chapter 5

"Happy birthday Amira!" Hasna shouted at twelve on the dot as she chased Amira around the block with a bowl of water in her hand. Amira was dripping wet and she pleaded for Hasna to stop.

     "Happy birthday girllllll!" Hasna screamed again, making a few people come out of their rooms. Some of them wished Amira a happy birthday and she thanked them all before changing into dry clothes.

     "I'll kill you Hasna." She threatened her friend as she laid on the bed. Her other roommates had gone home for the weekend so it was just the two of them.

     Amira picked up her phone to check for messages from Hassan but there was none so she sighed and dropped it beside her pillow.

     "Good night, or morning rather." she told Hasna.

     "Night B!" Hasna replied and turned off the light.

***

     "Do you think I should wear this?" Amira asked Hasna as she held up a black gown.

     "Yes, it's simple and perfect." Hasna nodded approvingly.

     "Thank you." Amira smiled and put it on.

     It was almost 10:00am in the morning and Hassan was waiting for her in the parking lot just opposite her hostel. When she was ready, she waved Hasna bye and walked out to the parking lot.

     When she got into the car, she smiled at Hassan. He was clad in a white kaftan, looking good in all his handsome glory.

     "White really is your colour." Amira complimented.

     "And black suits you just as much, Amira." he replied. "Happy birthday queen." he added, smiling at her.

     "Thank you." She blushed, looking away.

     The drive to Emerald Suites was quiet—although Hassan tried to make conversations, Amira smiled most of the time and gave one word answers.

     "So, this is my room." he said, opening the door to his hotel room.

     Amira smiled and walked to the dresser. The room was beautiful with brown furniture and white beddings. The walls were painted white with lemon green curtains and two chairs with a centre table were arranged adjacent to the bed.

     Amira walked over to one of the chairs and took a seat. Hassan told her to make herself comfortable while he ordered breakfast.

     "Yeah, what do you have for breakfast? Okay, I need two plates. Yeah, make one with kidney sauce and one with omelette. How long do I have to wait? Alright." he said into the phone then hung up.

     "Breakfast will be here in ten." he said, sitting opposite her.

     "Okay." she whispered and turned to the TV where Nicki Minaj's 'ganja burns' was playing. She hadn't seen the video yet so her eyes were fixed on the TV.

     "When are you graduating?" he asked randomly.

     "2020, in shaa Allah. Why?" she answered.

     "I just wanted to be sure..." he trailed off.

     "What?" she asked.

     "Never mind." He shook his head.

     She nodded and turned to the TV that Hassan had changed into a romantic chick flick.

     A couple had gone on a ferris wheel and when they were at the top, they took a picture together. Amira turned to see Hassan looking at her. She blushed and looked away, then a knock came on the door.

     Hassan got up to open it for the attendant who walked in with two plates of French fries. He set them on the table and left the two to enjoy their breakfast.

     "Which do you want? Kidney sauce or omelette?" he asked her.

     "Anyone is okay." She smiled politely.

     "We can just share." he said and divided the omelette into two, putting one halve on his plate and then putting some of the kidney sauce in Amira's.

     "Thank you." she said and started eating. She held back a moan as the savory taste of the sauce hit her taste buds.

     "Nice yeah?" Hassan asked her.

     She nodded and ate, completely forgetting her table manners. She dropped her knife and used only the fork to eat while Hassan used his cutlery correctly. She mentally rolled her eyes because she'd rather just eat the fries with her hands instead but she didn't want to embarrass herself.

     When they were done, he walked to his wardrobe and brought out a box.

     "Here." He smiled, handing it to Amira.

     "What's in it?" she asked as she opened it.

     "See for yourself."

     "Oh my God!" she literally screamed, looking at the box in front of her.

     It was a box from Alexander McQueen containing four perfumes; the dark papyrus, everlasting dream, amber garden and celtic rose.

     "Is it safe to say I love you?" she asked excitedly. He chuckled and nodded.

     "Well, I love you so much Hassan!" she said and got up to hug him.

     "I love you too, Amira." he replied, resting his palms on the small of her back.

     He was dangerously close to her and she cleared her throat. She freed herself from his embrace and sat back down.

     "Thank you so much." She thanked him again.

     "It's all good." he said, sitting on the bed.

     She sprayed the dark papyrus on her dress and gave a satisfactory nod.

     A knock came on the door again, it was the attendant. He had come to clear the table. When he was gone, Amira got up.

     "Not to sound rude but I have to go." she said, putting the perfumes back in the box.

     "It's okay, I was actually planning on sending you away to get ready." he answered.

     "Ready?" She scrunched up her face.

     "Yes, I'll pick you up at seven." he said and walked to his wardrobe again. He brought out a bag and handed it to Amira.

     "Wear this." he added. She collected it and smiled.

     Hassan picked his car keys from the dresser and took Amira back to her hostel.

     "See you at seven." He winked as she got down.