Chapter 9

Amira stuffed the last of her luggage into Hassan's trunk and got into the passenger's seat. After the wedding, he had stayed back another two weeks for work. It was also the end of the semester so Amira decided to go back with him to Abuja.

     With a smile on his face, he turned to look at her.

     "Why are you staring at me?" she asked, feeling a blush creep up on her cheeks.

     "I'm just so lucky to have you as a girlfriend."

     "Oh, thanks." Her cheeks were as red as a cherry tomato when he replied her.

     She looked out of the window and didn't say another word until he put the key in the ignition and drove off.

     The ride was quiet with the only sound coming from the radio. Amira had fallen asleep immediately they left Zaria and Hassan would glance at her beautiful face from time to time.

     He had a smile on his face all the while he was driving until they got to Kaduna. He stopped at Fruity Tango to get milkshakes for the both of them and cake slices from House of Cakes.

     "Babe," He tapped Amira to wake up and eat.

     "Yeah?" she mumbled, rubbing at her eyes.

     "Are you hungry?"

     "Is that even a question? When am I not hungry?" she replied, sitting up.

     "Exactly, when are you not hungry?" He chuckled and handed her a cup of milkshake and a chocolate cake slice.

     With a huge grin spread across her face, she beamed. "Chocolate cake!"

     "Damn babe, you don't even look at me the way you look at food."

     "You're cute and hot as hell but man, what's hotter than food?"

     "Ouch, I'm hurt!" He feigned hurt and pouted at her.

     Amira took a bite off of the cake and rolled her eyes in satisfaction. "This cake is everything, want to try?"

     With a raised brow from her reaction, Hassan opened his mouth and she put a piece in it.

     "This is orgasmic." He closed his eyes as the chocolatey goodness melted in his mouth.

     "Told you!"

     She sipped her chocolate flavoured milkshake and gave some to Hassan to drink.

     They kept laughing at random passersby as they ate and when they were eventually through with it, they continued their journey.

     "Don't sleep on me." Hassan said as Amira was about to drift into another round of sleep.

     With a pout on her lips, she gave him a childish look.

     "I'm serious babe."

     "Why? Do you want to talk?"

     "Yeah, so wakey wakey!"

     "Okay, so?" She rolled her eyes playfully.

     "So, my mum likes you."

     "It's quite obvious. I mean, who wouldn't like me?" She smirked.

     "Shut up!" He chuckled.

     "You know it's true." She shrugged.

     "True. She asked me to invite you over for lunch at our place sometime."

     "Oh, I don't know. I think I'll be able to come sometime then."

     "Good, how about Wednesday?"

     "Babe I'm not even home yet." She chuckled.

     "I'll come pick you up if you don't mind."

     "I mind, just give me your address and I'll come."

     "Sure."

     "Can I sleep now?" She pouted.

     "You sleepy head, just sleep already." He smiled and turned to the road ahead.

***

     By the time Amira woke up, they were at Gwarinpa already.

     "Hey, why didn't you wake me?" She yawned.

     "Didn't want to disturb you."

     "And how did you know the way to my house?" she asked suspiciously.

     "Oh that! I checked your ID card." he replied and turned into the fourth avenue.

     "You sneaky..." She trailed off as she saw her father's car drive out of their house.

     "Just keep driving until you get to the end of the road, you can't let my dad see us."

     Hassan nodded and kept driving, it was a good thing his glasses were tinted. When they got to the end of the road, he turned the car around and drove back to Amira's house. By that time, her father had already left.

     "Thank you so much Hassan." She smiled and got down to open the trunk.

     Hassan nodded and helped her pull out her boxes.

     "Do you need me to take them in?" he asked.

     "No it's fine, our gate man will do that."

     "Right! I'll miss you."

     Amira smiled and whispered, "I'll miss you too."

     With a smile on his face, he opened his arms for her to hug him. She looked up at her house before going in for the hug. He held her tightly and basked in her scent. She freed from his embrace and gave him a small smile.

     "I love you."

     "I love you more babe." He returned her smile and got into his car, then drove off.

     Amira knocked on the gate and their gateman came out.

     "Good afternoon mallam Musa." she greeted with a smile on her face.

     "Apternoon, ya makaranta? (Afternoon, how's school?)" he asked her. He wasn't fluent in English and she wasn't fluent in Hausa either. But she could understand him.

     "Lafiya(fine). Mummy fah? Kina gida? (Is she home?)"

     "Ahh, ba kina gida ba, tana gida ne. (ah, it isn't kina gida, it's tana gida.)" he corrected her while laughing.

     "Ohh," She laughed at her mistake and asked him to help her carry the heavier box.

     After keeping her things upstairs, he returned to the gate while she asked their maid for food. In no time, she was eating spaghetti and meatballs. She had missed home cooked food a lot that she didn't realize she was on her third plate.

     "Amira!" her mum called as she entered the living room. She had gone to the supermarket to get groceries.

     "Mummy!" Amira jumped up from the dining chair and ran to the living room to hug her mum.

     "My baby, I've missed you."

     "I've missed you too mummy."

     "How are you? School? I hope you didn't have any problems with your exams. How's Hasna? Hurry up and eat, I've got lots of gifts for you."

     "I've eaten enough mum, where are my gifts?"

     "Come with me to my room."