Chapter 30

Amira was waiting for her parents at the airport with Hassan sitting beside her. He had bought her a soda when she said she was thirsty. "How much longer do we have to wait?" she whined, resting her head on his shoulder.

     "Probably a few more minutes." Just as he said that, the announcement came from the speakers.

     "Attention please! Flight 01B3AD Ethiopian Airways has just landed. Attention please! Flight 01B3AD Ethiopian Airways has just landed."

     Amira jumped up in excitement and waited until she saw her parents. She ran into her mother's arms and hugged her tightly.

     "Mum, I've missed you! Dad!" She grinned and turned towards her father. He gave her a smile and patted her back. She freed herself from her mum's embrace and collected the bag she was holding. Hassan greeted them and helped to arrange the luggage in the trunk of his car. Because they had bought a lot of things, he took his Toyota Prado.

     Amira sat in the passenger's seat while her parents sat in the back. When they got home, Hassan helped them put the luggage inside the house and left to go home because he had some important things to attend to.

     Amira served them some food immediately before opening the boxes one after the other. Three huge boxes had different designs of abayas and after dresses in them. One had different Arabian perfumes, white musk and oud woods. Her father didn't really buy stuff for himself because he already had enough and her mother on the other hand had bought a lot of stuff to sell at her shop.

     After letting Amira pick three abayas and three perfumes, she zipped up the boxes and kept them in the guest room downstairs so that she wouldn't have to stress herself in the morning when she needed to take them to the shop. Amira remembered Hasna and Zulaihat, so she asked her mum for two abayas and two perfumes to give to them. After keeping theirs aside, her mum locked the room and headed upstairs with her husband to rest. It had been a long flight from Addis Ababa to Abuja.

     Amira called their maid to resume work the next day since she had given her a short break when her parents travelled. After making sure everything was in place, she called her cousin on Facetime.

     "Hey!" Ashlynn's bright face popped up on the screen.

     "Hey girl!" Amira replied with the same enthusiasm, though her smile was bigger than Ashlynn's.

     "What's up? Been long since you called me." Ashlynn said, placing her phone on her vanity table. She picked up her mascara and applied some to her lashes.

     "Nothing much, where are you headed with this much makeup on your face?"

     Ashlynn placed the mascara down and lined her lips before applying lipstick. "Nowhere important, just college."

     Amira nodded and spoke, "I actually called to tell you my wedding may be coming up very soon, probably in less than two months and I'd love for you to be here."

     "Oh my God girl! You're finally getting married!" Ashlynn squealed excitedly.

     "You're going to damage my eardrums, lower your voice." Amira rolled her eyes and drew her blanket over her legs.

     "Sorry sorry! I'm just so excited. When everything's finalised, do let me know. I'll probably come with Khaliq, I don't know about Kamal though."

     When they were through, Amira let her get ready for college. She opened her YouTube and caught up on episodes of Pretty Man before drifting off into a deep sleep.

     By the time she woke up, it was already eight in the morning. She hurried downstairs to make breakfast for her parents before heading to the gym. After a long hour of cardio and strength training, she had a hot shower and then put on a Mickey Mouse pajamas.

     She was bored at home and really wanted to go back to school but she still had about three weeks before resumption. When her dad left for work, she showed her mum everything Hassan got her and surprisingly her mum was cool about the phone. She even agreed to tell her husband she bought the phone for Amira.

     "So mum, Hassan's parents had told me they'd visit the moment you guys returned from hajj. They want to fix a date for the marriage." Amira said excitedly. Her mum happily nodded and made a phone call to Hassan's mum to come to their house whenever they were ready.

     After a little chit chat here and there, Amira accompanied her mum to her shopping plaza. She had a boutique at the plaza while the other stores were rented out, giving her at least nine million every year from rent.

     Amira helped the salesgirl hang the abayas on the clothing rails and arrange the perfumes on a shelf at the left part of the store. After arranging everything, Amira sat on the couch and plugged her earphones in until a customer came into the store. She got up and welcomed the lady before showing her around the store.

     "These are new designs and my mum just brought them from Saudi yesterday. They're actually really affordable, not as expensive as the others." Amira explained as she showed the woman to the rack that had the new abayas.

     "This is really beautiful, how much is it?" The lady asked, picking up a black abaya with gold stones.

     "This is twenty five thousand." Amira replied cheerfully.

     "That's too much, can I pay twenty?" The lady pouted.

     Amira looked at her mother and she nodded her head. "Sure, you can pay twenty." Amira put the abaya over her shoulder and took the lady to the perfume section. "This extreme musk is really nice and it's just five thousand."

     The lady shook her head with a smile on her face, then brought out her card. She took the perfume off the shelf and placed it on the counter together with the abaya. After swiping her card, Amira helped her pack the things neatly in a paper bag and escorted her outside.

     "Thanks for shopping with us."