Chapter 13

Amira's mum burst into laughter but when Hassan's mum wasn't laughing, she sobered up. "What did you say?" she asked, almost bursting into laughter again.

     "I've come with a marriage proposal for Amira." Hassan's mum repeated herself.

     "Okay?" Amira's mum raised a brow.

     Hassan and Amira kept glancing at each other and Amira held the urge to roll her eyes.

     "It's as I said it. My son Hassan is in love with your daughter and would like marry her." She smiled.

     "Is that true Hassan?" Amira's mum asked.

     Hassan glanced at his mum who was giving him a murderous look. He gulped and replied, "Yes ma, I'm interested in marrying your daughter."

     Amira's eyes widened and she sent a questioning look at Hassan. He avoided her eyes and cleared his throat.

     "Can I speak with Amira outside for a minute?" he asked her mum.

     "Uh, sure. Go ahead."

     Amira led him to the garden at the back of the house and sat on a swing. He sat on the second swing but none of them moved.

     "Amira..." he trailed off.

     "Hassan we're not even up to a month and you already want to marry me. This is so, so absurd!" She shook her head, massaging her temples that were aching.

     "I know babe. My mum wants me to take over the company and I'm not interested in it. Before I can have it, I have to get married."

     "Okay, let me get this straight. It's either you don't want the company at all or you don't want the company because you don't want to get married to me." She joked.

     "This isn't a joke Amira. I want to spend the rest of my life with you, that I know. But handle that company? No!"

     "So what will you do now?"

     "Will you marry me? I know it's been just a month but I need my mum off my neck. We'll get married and I wouldn't accept the company. I'll make her think I want it. How about that?"

     "Why can't you just tell your father? To be honest, I'm not ready to get married. I love you very much but think about my school. It's going to be so hard being in school while married. What if I get pregnant? How will I climb the stairs? And I have to keep explaining to every guy that comes my way that I'm married. It'll be hard."

     Hassan stared at her intently and broke into an evil smile. "So all you care about are other guys?"

     "Don't get me wrong Hassan."

     "Right. Why are you thinking about other guys anyway? Don't you already have me?"

     Amira heaved a sigh and replied. "I have you and only you. Don't worry about other guys, I'll give you all my love. No one else but my Hassan." She smiled and pulled his cheek.

     He smiled back and replied. "I hope so. So, marry me?"

     "I don't know what my parents will say. They have the final say."

     "Then let's go in and find out."

     They walked back into the living room to see the mothers laughing at something on the television. Amira cleared her throat and they glanced at her and Hassan.

     "Oh you guys are here!" Amira's mum chirped excitedly.

     Amira gave her a weird look and sat beside her.

     "Amira, do you want to marry Hassan?"

     "Uh mum, I guess you and father have the final say."

     "I need you to answer me because left to me, I'd say yes." She smiled.

     Amira looked at Hassan and he winked at her.

     "Okay. I want to get married to him." she said in a low tone.

     "Ah ha! Everything's great! I'll call my event planner immediately and let her know about the wedding. This wedding will be the biggest one Nigeria has ever seen. Even Dangote's daughter will know her wedding was shit when our children get married. Do you have a location in mind? We can even move it to Maldives or Santo-"

     "Mum!" Hassan cut her off, giving her a look to keep quiet.

     She chuckled awkwardly and turned to Amira's mum. "Now that all is said and done, we'll be leaving. I'll get back to you latest tomorrow."

     "It's alright. Let me walk you to the door." Amira's mum smiled and they both walked out leaving Hassan and Amira.

     As she was about to step out of the door, he pulled her back in so that her back was resting on the wall. He smirked and moved closer to her, their faces inches apart from each other.

     "What are you doing?" she whispered.

     "Trying to kiss you." he replied and moved closer.

     Their bodies were pressed together and his lips were so close that if he talked, they'd meet with hers. She swallowed nervously and pushed him off of her.

     "You need to go, your mum is waiting."

     "So? She can wait."

     Amira shook her head and walked out of the living room. Hassan stood still in his spot and she rolled her eyes. "Are you coming out or?"

     He smirked and walked out elegantly with his hands in his pocket as if he wasn't trying to kiss her moments ago. She rolled her eyes and walked to his mum who had her arms opened for a hug.

     "Lunch was fun with you yesterday. I hope you'll come to our home again." Hassan's mum smiled and let her go.

     "Uh, sure ma." Amira answered uneasily. She knew she was in trouble.

     "Call me mum. Ma sounds formal and I'm your mother in-law now so..."

     "Right mum. Bye bye." She waved and ran into the house.

     Her mother waved them goodbye and went in to meet Amira but she wasn't in the living room.

     "Amira!" she yelled.

     Amira knew she was in trouble so she kept quiet.

     "Come down here this instant!"

     Amira groaned and tiptoed downstairs. Immediately she got to the end of the stairs, she was pulled painfully by her ear.

     "Ow ow mummy, it hurts." she cried.

     "Where did you say you were going to yesterday?"

     "Laila's house."

     "I see Hassan is now Laila."

     "But I did go to Laila's house. His sister is Zulaihat but I call her Laiha and I figured you wouldn't get the Laiha part so I told you Laila." she lied smoothly, trying to release her ear.

     "Why didn't you tell me you were going to see your boyfriend?"

     "I was scared you'd get mad at me and probably beat me up and lecture me about having a boyfriend at this age."

     "Silly! Just get out of my face. And hey, don't keep things like this from me next time."

     "Yes mum, I'm sorry."