Chapter 18

If his flight was for 8:00pm and he was going from Lagos, then he'd have to catch a flight to Lagos from Abuja. He always preferred Medview airlines so Amira checked the available flights to Lagos. The next one was leaving at 12:30pm and it was already 10:45am.

     She walked to the main door of the house and saw a hamper laying on the ground. It contained a lot of her favourite cookies and chocolates. She was really mad at him but she couldn't let the chocolate goodness go to waste so she took it straight to her room and dialled his number.

     The subscriber you are trying to call is on another call at the moment, do hold on or call back later.

     She allowed it to ring and when there was no answer, she called again. It kept repeating the previous message and she got even angrier. Who was he talking to that he couldn't leave to speak with her?

     She tried a few more times and his phone was busy. She groaned and rushed down the stairs. It was already 11:00am and she couldn't find the driver anywhere. She picked up the keys to the Toyota Camry and hurriedly sat down, strapping her seatbelt on.

     "Where are you going to?" The gateman asked.

     "Just open the gate!" she yelled and when he did, she slammed on the accelerator and sped out of the compound.

     If his flight was leaving at 12:30pm, he should have been boarded by 12:00pm. She didn't know how she was going to make it to the airport in time but she drove anyway. When she finally got to the airport, it was 11:50am. She checked the people at the check in counter but he wasn't there so she ran upstairs towards the gates. He was going through the fifth gate so she rushed there.

     "I'm sorry Miss but you can't go in there without your ticket." The lady said politely.

     "This is important and I need to see my fiancé before he leaves. Please, we had a fight and I didn't know he was travelling. If you don't let me go, I won't see him until after a year." Amira pleaded. The lady shook her head apologetically and told her she couldn't go through.

     Amira ignored her and ran through the gate as fast as her legs could carry her. No matter what he did, she still loved him.

     "Security! Security!" The lady screamed as she ran after Amira.

     Amira got to the front of the airplane and wasn't allowed in. The security held her back as she thrashed around, wanting to go in.

     "Please let me through." she cried.

     "Please you have to leave."

     "Hassan? Hassan?" she screamed. By this time, she had created a scene. People actually left their seats to see what was going on and some even had their phones on record. Amira knew she was going to make it to instablognaija and Linda Ikeji's blog with the rate at which she was going.

     Hassan heard her voice and immediately rushed out, asking the security to let go of her.

     "I'm sorry sir, we can't."

     Hassan glared at him and brought out his ID card. When the security read his surname, he immediately let go of Amira.

     "With just one phone call, you'll lose your job so don't you dare lay your fingers on her again." Hassan barked and pulled Amira into his chest.

     "Why are you crying?" he whispered.

     Amira pushed him away and started yelling at the top of her voice.

     "You bastard! You actually thought you'd leave just like that? Why didn't you tell me you were travelling? And you'll be gone for a whole year at that? I know we had a fight but couldn't you see I wasn't mad when you came earlier? And all this while you didn't think to tell me you were travelling? I hate you I hate you I hate you I hate you I hate you I hate you I hate you I hate you I hate you I hate you!" She cried, tugging at his shirt.

     "Calm down Amira." he said, pulling her into him again.

     "I hate you! Do you have to go? Please don't go my baby. I'll miss you so much and Abuja will be so boring without you. You know ASUU is on strike and they don't plan to call it off. How will I cope?" she cried.

     "I'll be back before you know it."

     "Of course, you'll be back in December 2019. It's so close." She hissed and held unto his arms, afraid he'll leave her.

     "Amira." he sighed.

     "You know what? I'm going with you to Australia!" she beamed.

     "What are you saying?" He looked at her as though she was insane.

     "Wait a minute."

     She picked up her phone and dialled her mother's number. When her mum picked up, she explained everything that happened in the past few hours and how she needed to go to Australia with Hassan.

     "Are you mad?" her mum asked.

     "You can call me anything but please mummy, book a flight for me on British Airways. His flight leaves by 8:00pm so I'm sure I can get to Lagos on the next flight."

     "Don't be stupid Amira!"

     "Please mum, just this once. Take it as my vacation and I promise not to go to Maldives next holiday."

     "Get yourself back home Amira!"

     "Please mum, I've missed aunty Aisha so much. I want to use this opportunity to see her."

     "My God Amira! What do I tell your father?"

     "Tell him anything but please please please please please please let me go."

     "Fine, I'll book the flight but go home and pack your clothes."

     Amira beamed and jumped on Hassan. "She agreed and she's booking a flight now."

     Hassan shook his head at her stupidity and dropped her down.

     "How do you intend to get a visa in two hours?"

     "Oh!" Amira face palmed and looked embarrassed.

     "Please go back home, I'll call you when I touch down." He smiled.

     She started crying again and he hugged her.

     "Don't cry, I have to leave now." He kissed her forehead and whispered 'I love you' into her ears. She pulled away from him and said, "I love you more Hassan. Call me when you touch down."

     He nodded and gave her one last hug that lasted for a minute. He didn't pull away until the air hostess cleared her throat. He let go of her and walked into the plane.

     Amira felt her eyes watering again as she walked out to the parking lot. She couldn't drive in that condition so she just rested her head on the steering wheel and slept off.