Chapter 27

After eating lunch at the local food vendor, Hassan decided to take her to visit his family. He had initially wanted to take her back to his apartment but he wasn't sure she'd be comfortable after what happened the last time. He even made a mental note to himself about how he was going to get another apartment when they eventually got married.

     Walking hand in hand, they entered the front doors of Hassan's family house. Zulaihat was the first to notice them so she immediately rushed to give Amira a hug.

     "Girl, I didn't hear from you yesterday. I need details." Zulaihat prodded Amira's arm.

     Amira chuckled and nodded her head, as if telling her she'd talk to her later.

     "Wow, just wow! So now you're all over Amira and cannot acknowledge your older brother's presence?" Hassan asked Zulaihat, pulling Amira to his side.

     "Don't be jealous, she's my sister in-law so I get to talk to her wherever and whenever I feel like." Turning to Amira, she added. "Would you like to go up to my room?"

     Before Amira could answer, Hassan answered for her. "No she wouldn't."

     Zulaihat groaned and left to inform her mother about their arrival. Hussein alongside his dad were busy at work so they weren't home to meet Amira while Khalidah had gone out with her boyfriend.

     Amira sat down on the couch that was directly opposite the television and was joined by Hassan soon after. He switched the channel to a music station and faced Amira. "Want to learn how to dance to Nigerian songs?"

     She shook her head hurriedly, which left him chuckling. His mum stepped into the living room with Zulaihat and Amira got up to greet her.

     "You look really beautiful today, what's the secret?" Hassan's mum smiled as she pulled her into a hug.

     "There's no secret ma, I just happen to be blessed with beautiful skin." Amira smiled back. Hassan's mum shook her head and said, "Can you start calling me mum already? I don't like the sound of ma."

     "Yes mum, how have you been?" Amira sat down beside her soon to be mother in-law and Hassan mentally rolled his eyes. She should be sitting beside him and not his mum.

     "Since Hassan left for Australia, you stopped visiting me. I only knew about your well-being from Zulaihat and that's because you hung out often."

     "I'm really sorry mum, I just thought there was no point visiting since Hassan wasn't home."

     Hassan's mum shook her head and placed her palm on Amira's shoulder. "You don't have to visit only when Hassan is around, you're welcome any time. This is your home."

     Amira smiled at her and turned to look at Hassan. He looked tensed and uninterested in their conversation as he typed on his phone.

     "Are you okay?" Amira asked him. He regained his composure and smiled at her, "I'm good."

     Amira nodded and turned back to her mother in-law. "Mum, about the wedding..." She trailed off. The topic seemed to draw Hassan's attention and he looked at them intently.

     "Yes! I was going to tell you, now that Hassan is back I don't think you should wait any longer to get married."

     Hassan gulped nervously and excused himself to use the bathroom. Amira shrugged and continued her conversation. "I don't think we should wait any longer either. Now that I have one year left to study, it'll be great to get married."

     Hassan's mum agreed with her and asked Zulaihat who was sitting quietly to bring the notepad on her bedside drawer. Zulaihat returned to the living room and gave the notepad to her mum.

     "So, I had written down quite a lot of things I'd want at your wedding," Hassan's mum started, flipping the notepad open. "I'd love the wedding reception to be at International Conference Centre or if you'd like an outdoor wedding..." she paused, looking at Amira.

     "ICC is fine mum. I guess we'll have to share the expenses then, but that'll be after you come to officially ask for my hand." Amira said politely.

     About that, we'll fix a date to visit immediately your parents return to Nigeria. I would really like it to be a big wedding, the type Bellanaija would carry." Hassan's mum said the last part excitedly.

     "Mum, I think the decision should be made by the couple and not you." Zulaihat piped in.

     "You want a big wedding right?" Before Amira could answer, Hassan's mum started talking about how she'd buy the most expensive things for the wedding.

     Thirty minutes after, Hassan still wasn't back to the living room. His mum had gushed about how the wedding will be the most talked about wedding in Nigeria for years. Amira was getting tired of her unending chattering but still managed to keep a smile on her face. By the time they were done talking, it was almost 4:00pm. Amira offered to help them make dinner even though Hassan's mum didn't want her stressing herself.

     Hassan on the other hand was seated in his bedroom with his face in his palms. He looked really pale from whatever it was that he had seen on his phone. He got up and washed his face, then went down to see what was going on in the kitchen.

     "Mum, can I take Amira with me? I have to drop her at home then attend to something."

     "Sure, but after you both eat dinner." she answered while stirring her pot of stew.

     "You guys don't eat dinner until seven and it'll be too late." Hassan groaned.

     His mum ignored him and asked Zulaihat to make sure the rice wasn't salty. Hassan scoffed and sat down on a stool. "You know, you don't have to drop me at home. You can attend to your business and I'll go home myself. I wouldn't want to keep you waiting." Amira said as she diced some fruits.

"How can I leave you to go home by yourself? Immediately the food is ready, we'll eat and go. We can't wait for the others to get home."

Amira nodded and poured a carton of hollandia yoghurt into the fruits she had diced, then placed it in the fridge.

"You're a really great girl Amira. How many girls your age would want to help out in the kitchen? You're simply the best!" Her mother in-law praised her. Amira smiled and said a quick thank you. When the food was ready, she dished some for Hassan and some for herself. After eating, she washed the plates they used and then headed out with Hassan.

"Do come back soon Amira, and this time, not with ya Hassan. He doesn't even let me have alone time with you." Zulaihat pouted. Amira smiled and hugged her, then hugged her mum too before sitting in the passenger's seat. Hassan said a quick goodbye to them and drove out of the huge gates of the house.

Happy new year people😊 I hope y'all enjoyed your day. How did it go? What did you do? As for me, I was in the kitchen throughout the day. I even baked a cake for my friends and note, I'm not a professional baker. I just watch Instagram videos and practice the icing. I'm great at baking delicious cakes but when it comes to the frosting, DISASTROUS!😹😹 I tried today though, I'm proud of myself. So, here's my new year's cake. On a scale of 1-10, how good is this?

 On a scale of 1-10, how good is this?