Chapter 6

The black gown clung to Amira's body perfectly, showing all her curves. It was fitted all the way to the knees and flowed down to the feet. She tied her hair in a turban and wore the gold earrings her mother had given her as her last birthday's gift.

     "You look beautiful girl." Hasna smiled and mimicked the Indians on when they tried to protect one from the evil eyes.

     "Thank you." Amira smiled back. "I'll see you later." she added and picked up her gold ball purse from the bed before stepping out.

     "Are you going for Anatomy's dinner?" A random person asked Amira as she walked down the stairs.

     "No, I'm going somewhere else." Amira smiled politely and walked away.

     When she walked into the parking lot, she could see Hassan leaning against his car. A blush crept unto her cheeks and they turned a bright crimson.

     "Hey," she breathed softly as she reached the car.

     "You look beautiful." he complimented her, raking his eyes over her body.

     "You don't look bad yourself." she returned the compliment. He smiled and opened her door, then helped her into the car.

     "Thank you." She smiled back and watched as he walked around to get into the driver's seat.

     "Where are we going to?"

     "I don't know, guess?" He smirked.

     "I'm bad at guessing." She chuckled.

     "Too bad, you just have to wait until we get there."

***

     The Lover's Diner which was written in elegant calligraphy hung at the top of the building. Since it was night, the letters glowed a light pink.

     "How did you know about this place? I've never seen it." Amira said as she stepped out of the car.

     "Google?" He gave her an amused look.

     "Oh, yeah." She blushed and looked away.

     "Shall we?" He held his palm out.

     Amira nodded and put her hand in his. They walked into the empty diner which was a little dark on the inside, the only lights coming from the balloons that spelled HAPPY BIRTHDAY.

     "Has-"

     "I know this is too soon but I honestly can't wait to make you mine."

     "What are you saying?"

     "I like you Amira, heck I'm pretty sure I'm in love with you."

     "Has-"

     "Can you please not interrupt me?" he asked softly.

     She nodded and opened her mouth to speak but closed it again.

     "I like you, ever since I sent you that message on Instagram. I know this may seem completely creepy but I don't care. The way you walk, talk, heck the way you eat and finger the end of your veil when you're nervous, I've noticed them all. I like the fact that you're real, you don't put in so much effort to please me. You're just, well, you. I want you to be mine, I honestly don't want you with another man. I'll take care of you, I'll buy everything money can buy. Just say yes."

     "I- I don't know what to say." she stuttered.

     "Say yes." he whispered.

     "We're just getting to know each other, don't you think this is too fast?"

     "I know, but I'll return to Abuja soon and I want to leave knowing you're mine and no one else's." he answered, taking her hand in his again.

     "I- Hassan I like you too but I still think this is too soon." She shook her head.

     "Right. Let's go." he said and led her to the table where a beautiful cake sat.

     "This is beautiful." She smiled as he helped her into her seat.

     Earlier, she had collected her cake from cake velvet and left it with Hasna in the hostel which only meant Hassan had bought another.

     "Not as beautiful as you, Habibty." He smiled.

     She blushed and picked up the knife.

     "Happy birthday princess." She cut the cake and fed a piece to Hassan, who in turn fed her back.

     "What's your wish?" he asked her.

     "I wish to get all the happiness in the world and a good husband that'll love and respect me." She smiled.

     "I'll always make you happy and I'll love and respect you." Hassan said seriously.

     She could see truth and longing in his eyes. She knew he meant it when he said it so she smiled at him, letting him know she'd be there always.

     "What would you like to eat?"

     "What if I said fries again?" She chuckled.

     "Sure, no one gets tired of fries." He smiled and waved for the waitress to come over.

He gave her the order and went back to talking to Amira who blushed at almost everything he said. After eating, they stood up to dance.

     "I don't know how to dance." Amira said in a low voice.

     "So? Just move your body in sync with mine." he said, gently wrapping his arms around her.

     "I-"

     "Shh..." he hushed her, swaying her body with his.

     "This is so..." she trailed off, letting the music take over her senses.

     She placed her palm on his shoulder and rested her head on his chest, basking in his scent. She loved the way his perfume filled her nostrils.

     "This isn't so hard now, is it?" He smiled, spinning her around.

     "No." She chuckled lightly, returning to their original position with her palm on his shoulder. They danced for a while before the song came to an end.

     "For a first timer, you sure are a good dancer." He winked.

     "Thanks."

     "Where do you want to go next?"

     "I don't know, where do you have in mind?"

     "Camzies?"

     "Pizza sounds good."

***

     "Thanks for the dinner." Amira said as Hassan pulled up at the parking lot opposite her hostel.

     "Thanks for going out with me." He smiled.

     She returned his smile and turned to get down but he held her wrist. She turned back to him and saw him looking at her with longing in his eyes.

     "Be mine Amira."