Chapter 11

The brand new 2018 model of Range Rover pulled up at the gate of Hassan's parent's home. Amira called Hassan and told him she was outside and some minutes after, a slim and beautiful melanin skinned girl stepped out.

     "Amira!" she squealed and Amira got down to hug her.

     "Laila, I've missed you so much!" Amira replied in a high pitched voice before turning to face her driver.

     "I'll be inside."

     He nodded and as soon as she stepped inside, he picked up his phone to call her mum.

     "Yes madam, she's at Laila's house and they seem to be really close."

     "No cause for alarm, she wasn't lying."

     "Yes ma, we'll be back before 5:00pm."

     He hung up the phone and decided to rest before Amira came back out.

     "Thank you so much." Amira told Hassan's sister as they walked towards the front door.

     "It's okay, I'm Zulaihat by the way." Zulaihat stretched out her palm and Amira took it, smiling.

     "I guess you already know who I am."

     "Of course I do! Hassan wouldn't shut up about you." Zulaihat smirked.

     "Speaking of Hassan, where is he?"

     "Somewhere around Apo. He went to drop my cousin off."

     "Oh great!"

     Zulaihat opened the door and walked inside with Amira following behind.

     "Welcome to our humble abode."

     "Don't be so formal with me." Amira chuckled.

     "Right! What are you doing after lunch? I'd love you to stay a little longer or possibly sleep over. I mean, I like you already and I'm sure we'd be great friends."

     "I really wish I could stay but my mum will cut off my neck, literally."

     "Too bad, and I've got The Nun. I was hoping to watch it with a friend. All my friends are studying abroad so I'm stuck here alone." Zulaihat pouted.

     "Maybe some other time."

     "Ah Amira, you're here." Hassan's mum smiled and pulled her into a hug.

     "Yes ma, good afternoon ma." Amira replied, freeing herself from the hug.

     "Please come on in. Zulaihat, help Nana set the table."

     "Yes mum."

     Zulaihat left to the kitchen while her mum and Amira caught up on the sofa. When the table was set, she called them to the dining area.

The family members had already taken their spots on the table when Amira entered with Hassan's mum.

     It was a table with eight chairs. Hussain, Hassan's twin brother took the one opposite his father. Khalidah, Hassan's immediate younger sister who was just twenty four sat beside Zulaihat. Hassan's mum took the seat beside Zulaihat and allowed Amira take the one opposite them. Two seats were left so obviously, Hassan would take the one beside Amira.

     They waited for Hassan to return and when he did, Nana served them all. A variety of food were placed on the table. They had catfish pepper soup as appetizers, jambalaya as main dish and moist chocolate cake as desserts. Hassan's father left immediately he had lunch to attend to business matters.

     Amira enjoyed every bit of the meal and she wanted to take seconds but she respected herself and ate only once. After all, if she had eaten too much, she'd have to spend extra hours at the gym. She wasn't exactly serious about losing weight because she ate like a pig at times and ate healthy small foods the other times.

     "So Amira, why we really wanted you here..." Hassan's mum cleared her throat.

     Amira stared at her, visibly gulping because she didn't know what to expect.

     "I don't know how long you and my son have been together but I was wondering if you'd agree to marry him." she said in a serious tone.

     "Mum! You didn't even ask me if I was ready for marriage." Hassan said exasperatedly.

     "What? Isn't she your girlfriend or are you planning to dump her along the line?" She gave him a hard glare.

     "What are you even saying mum? She's not through with school. You don't expect her to just get married to me."

     Amira watched as they argued. It was as if she wasn't there.

     "That isn't your choice to make!" his mum said and turned to Amira.

     "Uh, can I like...um...speak to my parents first?" Amira asked.

     "Sure, I'd prefer to even speak to your parents in person." She smiled.

     "I'm not sure about that ma. I mean, my parents..." Amira trailed off.

     "Don't worry about your parents, I'll talk to them. In the meantime, I'd like to meet your mum."

     Amira groaned inwardly. What had she gotten herself into? She didn't mind being Hassan's wife but the timing was wrong. She didn't even know how her mum would react.

     "Uh, sure." Amira replied.

     "Seriously mum? Couldn't you have at least informed me first?" Hassan huffed in annoyance.

     "Shut up!"

     Hassan stood up and pulled Amira with him. "Thanks for the lunch mum but Amira has to go."

     Before Amira could say anything, he pulled her outside the house. "I'm sorry about my mum."

     Amira chuckled uneasily and forced a smile at Hassan. "It's fine."

     As they were about to go out of the gate, Amira remembered her driver was around and called for Zulaihat. She hugged Hassan and walked out of the compound hand in hand with Zulaihat.

     "Bye girl, hope you'd come back some other time." Zulaihat smiled.

     "Definitely. I'll see you some other time."

     They hugged each other and Amira got into the car. All through the drive, she was thinking of how she'd tell her mother about Hassan and his mum.

     The news was totally unexpected. She didn't even know if she'd ever go back to Hassan's house because she wasn't sure what her mother's reaction would be.

     Sighing, she sent her mum's number to Hassan and asked him to give it to his mum. Whatever would happen, would happen! She couldn't care less.