Chapter 24

When Hassan finished with his call, he texted Amira to let her know he would call later since he had to be at the college for something.

     She said it was fine and then decided to watch Light As A Feather on YouTube since she didn't have a Hulu subscription. A while ago, she had read the novel on wattpad and when she found out it was being made into a show, she lost it. She was really excited about it and when she pressed play on the first episode, she knew she wouldn't be leaving her room for anything except food. After about four long hours, she finished the last episode.

     "I wasn't expecting this ending." She said to herself. Just when she thought everything would be fine at Wisconsin, the episode ended with McKenna feeling something creep up her back.

     "Well that was one hell of a plot twist, I wonder what will happen in the next season." With that thought in mind she decided to read the second book in the trilogy; Light As A Feather, Cold As Marble. After about five chapters, she fell asleep without having dinner.

***

     When it was morning, she woke up with a serious head ache. "Oh my God!" she groaned as she massaged her temples.

     Ignoring the pounding pain in her head, she trudged downstairs. When she got to the middle, she felt dizzy and before she could hold the railings, she fell down.

     Their maid dropped the plate in her hand and ran to see what happened. Amira was laying on the bottom of the stairs motionless.

     "Mummy!" The maid screamed as she shook Amira. Amira's mum hurried downstairs and lifted Amira up.

     "Get water!" she yelled at the maid.

     The maid hurried and brought a glass of water to them. Amira's mum sprinkled some on her Amira's face and when she opened her eyes, she gave her some to drink. Her temperature was really high and her vision was blurry.

     "Are you fine? Your body is so hot." her mum asked worriedly.

     When Amira didn't answer her, she pulled her up and took her outside to the car. "Just wait for me to get my keys."

     She came down moments later with the keys and drove her to Kelina hospital which was just around the corner.

     After running several tests, the doctor gave her prescriptions for malaria and wrote a few injections for her.

     "Make sure you eat before taking the drugs." The doctor said. Amira nodded and as they got up to leave, Amira fainted for the second time.

     The doctor called for a stretcher and they rushed her to the emergency room.

     "I'm afraid we'll have to keep her here with us to monitor her closely." The doctor said to Amira's mum.

     "She hates being admitted, is there no way we can treat her at home?" her mum asked worriedly.

     "It'll be better if she stayed here."

     Her mum nodded and walked to the reception to foot the bills. When she was done, she made sure Amira was admitted to the best private room. A drip was hung beside her bed, dripping slowly into her veins. Amira groaned inwardly and made a mental note to herself to increase the speed immediately the room was empty.

     "What do you want to eat? I'll go home and cook for you." Her mum smiled at her.

     "Indomie is fine. Please bring my phone and earpiece with you."

     "What do you need your phone for? You're really sick."

     "I'm fine, just bring my phone and earpiece."

     Her mum sighed and left the room to go home. Amira hoisted herself and turned the lever so that the liquid could go faster. When she was satisfied with the speed, she laid back down. Immediately she laid down, a nurse came in and asked why the drip was so fast. Amira pretended not to hear her and the nurse shook her head, taking it back to the normal speed.

     "Don't mess with the drip again or I'll be forced to give you an injection to make you sleep for the whole day." With that, the nurse left the room.

     "Stupid nurse." Amira muttered.

     An hour later, her mum returned with the food and phone.

     "Thank you." Amira smiled and collected her phone and earpiece.

     "Aren't you eating?"

     "I'll eat now, I just want to check something."

     She opened her camera and took a selfie so that the drip would show. After snapping, she sent it to Hassan with the caption 'your baby is sick'.

     She didn't get a reply because he was offline and probably asleep, so she dropped the phone on the side and dug into the noodles.

     "Eat up Amira, do you want anything else?" her mum asked when she was almost through with the food.

     "I'm okay mum, but if you don't mind..." She trailed off.

     "Yeah?"

     "Can I get waffles and cream?" She smiled sheepishly.

     "Sure, I'll see if they can deliver."

     Thirty minutes after, Amira was digging into her waffles and cream. She felt okay, she didn't even feel sick at all. She was probably just tired from going to Kogi and coming back the same day.

     "Can I go home?" she asked immediately the doctor stepped into the room.

     "No you can't, we have to monitor you."

     "There's honestly no need, look I'm fine now." She grinned and waved her hand that wasn't attached to a drip.

     "The injection must be working then." The doctor smiled and checked her. When he was done, he told her they could go home in the evening or the next day. Amira was happy because she wasn't planning on spending the night at the hospital.

     "Mum, don't you want to check your plaza?" Amira asked.

     "No, everything's fine with it."

     "Okay, why don't you go home to freshen up?"

     Her mum gave a long look and stood up, "I'll go now. While I'm gone you can do your video call with Hassan. I know that's why you want me out of here." She left the room and closed the door behind her.

     "Oops! Busted." Amira giggled and dialed Hassan's number.