Wedding

Naomi fidgeted while trying to maintain the seiza position. The kimono she was wearing had more layers than her wedding cake. She was sweaty and itchy before even the ceremony started.

Next to her, Itachi was sitting in perfect seiza, no amount of discomfort present on his face. Sensing her gaze, he turned towards her to send her a quick smirk, before turning forwards and resuming a neutral expression.

Naomi took a deep breath and tried to calm herself. It probably wouldn't be good to murder her husband on the wedding night, especially not with the foreign kages and village headmen in Konoha.

She glanced the guests and discreetly noted the number of foreign ninjas. This wedding must be a security nightmare. That explained the late night in the office yesterday. It wasn't fair how he could pull off an all-nighter and still look so perfect.

Finally the fire monk stopped speaking, that they were declared husband and wife. Naomi quickly made her way towards the food stall. Seriously, the fasting before wedding custom was ridiculous. But Mikoto oba-san had insisted on it.

Itachi followed her as a dutiful husband should but didn't take anything to eat himself.

"Aren't you hungry?"

"Since you are my better half, your nourishment is enough to sate me. Weren't you listening to what the monk said?" He smirked, knowing well enough that she wasn't.

She narrowed her eyes. "You already ate, didn't you?"

That made him roll his eyes. "Not everyone is as much of a glutton as you, Naomi."

"I liked our first wedding better." she huffed.

"I did too." he said, smiling at her.

"Ha. I knew it. You're as miserable as me. You're just good at hiding it."

"I wouldn't say I'm miserable. I'm happy to be finally married to you."

"We've been married for three years, Itachi-chan." she reminded him.

"We've been technically married for three years. We haven't been living together, though. In fact, in the last three years we have spent less time than ever, except the year you were on the training trip. And even when we managed to get alone, talking wasn't something we spent much time on."

She mentally recalled their steamy few and far between meetings. "That's true." she agreed.

"We haven't even sparred in a while."

"You really enjoy beating me down, don't you?"

"Do you remember out first spar?"

"I couldn't forget it even if I wanted to." she pointedly activated her Sharingan.

"Your sharingan activated due to your determination and resolve to beat me. Do you know how mine did?"

She had assumed it was the same for him. But now that she understood him as she did, she knew it couldn't be because of that. "No. What activated yours?"

"It was because of joy. It was the first time I felt truly happy while sparring. You somehow managed to get rid of all my burdens and insecurities for those precious few minutes. That was what activated my sharingan."

"I don't know why nii-chan insists you cannot be romantic." she told him, kissing him softly on the cheek, mindful of their audience, eyes promising more when they were alone.