Redefining Shinobi

Hiruzen watched as Naruto was declared the Rokudaime Hokage and the first elected Hokage of Konoha.

It was a new system that his successor had introduced to Konoha. According to this system, the Hokage would not have a life time seat, but only for 20 years at a time, following which an election would take place for the new Hokage.

This was one of the many changes that the Uchiha had brought to Konoha.

The introduction of ninshu was one of them. Apparently, it was a teaching of Rikodo Sennin, according to which chakra should be used for creation, not destruction. The academy now also offers classes for civilians to learn basic fuinjutsu for storage scrolls, or earth jutsu for construction, etc.

Konoha had changed so much in the last 20 years with the expansion, foreign exchange Shinobi, new technology, construction of the train, removal of sticks from Hyuuga asses; that Hiruzen wouldn't be able to recognize it at all, if it hadn't been for the Hokage mountain.

The other Shinobi villages were also not spared from the change. Who would have thought that Iwa and Konoha could ever perform joint missions. Everyone attributed the new peaceful era to Itachi, but Hiruzen knew better.

Itachi was like Minato, unparalleled genius but not very imaginative. The inspiration behind Itachi's work had been none other than Naomi Uchiha, who had been an unassuming chunnin before retiring from Ninja career.

Hiruzen had first heard of her when Itachi had told him that the Uchiha coup had been avoided due to her actions. He had decided to do something nice for her, for taking care of that headache. When he'd heard that she was interested in fuinjutsu, he had ordered Jiraiya to take her as an apprentice. Never would have he thought that his actions would lead to these consequences. Because, the Toad Sage's prophecy turned out to be true after all. An orphan with a smile resembling the sun became Jiraiya's student and brought peace to the Elemental Nations.

Not that Itachi wasn't instrumental in this. He was a worthy successor. Even if he insisted on tearing down everything Hiruzen had built in his life. He was almost relieved that he has finally stepped down as Hokage, before doing something ridiculous like tearing down the Hokage mountain or banning Icha Icha.

Those were the last thougts of Sarutobi Hiruzen, Sandaime, God of Shinobi before he passed on with a smile on his face, at 88 years of age.