Chapter 1

All three of us laughed and walked together, heavy winter coats on. It was chilly, but in Manhattan your full heart stayed warm enough to help you push through it.

We walked up to this building that was smaller than all the others, and it had a triangle roof too.

The Actor's Studio, it read on the outside.

"A lot of the men coming out here are dreamy. They opened a few years ago." Helen said with a happy expression on her face.

"It's where those art people go to learn their craft." Doris pessimistically said, her plum lipsticked lips frowning. "I'd much rather go to school for science rather than fairytales."

"It's definitely not a fairytale." A male voice said as he stepped toward us. None of us really noticed him listening. People standing along the sidewalk tend to blend in just as much as the buildings and streetlights to a New Yorker.

He had the most intimidating yet intoxicating gaze. His lips were full and supple, and he had a beauty mark right above his lips. His nose, pronounced and strong, and his brown wavy hair hung in front of his forehead.

"It's a way of life, and it takes more than just telling stories to an audience." The mysterious man said.

"You've probably seen me in the paper. A Streetcar Named Desire, it's a popular play right now." He said as he looked directly at me. I didn't know whatever the hell street car he was talking about and I definitely didn't know who he was. I could tell me not recognizing him hurt his ego, and he squinted. "Broadway."

"Don't expect ladies like us to follow whatever you guys do on Broadway." Doris chimed in. She had lit a cigarette, and puffs of smoke flowed around her as she thoroughly judged the mysterious man in front of us.

He awkwardly stuffed his hands in his trench coat. He was very young, and although he was seductive he was very awkward. He wasn't a man yet, and he definitely had yet to grow into an actor.

"I'm Marlon Brando, if that rings any bells." He said directly at me again, ignoring Doris who was making him feel irrelevant. I still didn't recognize him. "I'm the newest kid to the scene, some say I'm going to be in films someday."

He held his head high, but when he still didn't invoke a reaction from me his head sank again.

"Anyway, we should get going." Doris said as she began walking down the sidewalk.

"Well, tell us about your play!" Helen smiled warmly at him, her innocence made her vulnerable enough to be captivated by the smallest things in life.

"Well—" Marlon began and I cut him off.

"We really should get going, Mr. Brando." I said as I stared at him. "It's way too cold to be entertaining this conversation."

Helen frowned like a child and began walking toward Doris who stood waiting for us at the corner.

As I turned around, once again he spoke to me.

"What is a pretty girl like you running from?" He asked. I glared at him.

"They're already way down there, you've loss the chance." I continued to turn and walk.

"I'm talking to the beauty right in front of me." He quickly said. I stopped in my tracks and turned to him. New York was lenient when it came to socializing with people out of your race, but this was taboo.

"I don't know what kind of girl you think I am,  but I'm not going to just fall on my back because you called on a colored girl." I said as I squinted an eye.

"I'm just calling you beautiful. Take it or leave it." Marlon said as he put up his hands in defense. "Sorry if I offended you."

He turned and began walking in the other direction but something in me made me doing something daring.

"Hey!" I called after him. He turned to face me, his hands once again in his beige trench coat. A smirk was along his full lips.

I stepped toward him until there was just inches between us. I don't know why I was so curious to do this, but something was pulling me toward him. I looked into his eyes and he looked into mine.

"Why don't you take me out?" I asked and he chuckled.

"I know a place." He answered, but we were interrupted by a much shorter guy walking out of the building.

His chestnut hair was slicked back, and his blue eyes hide behind the black frame glasses he wore. He was significantly shorter than Brando, and looked at him in a needy way.

"James, I said I'd phone you later." Marlon said as he looked over his shoulder at him.

"I just want to talk to you, you walked out of class before it was even over." James said, he almost stuttered as he tried to get his words out.

"I'll talk to you later." He said with a groan. I felt as if I'd never talk to him again, but maybe that was for the best. "What's your name?"

"Patricia." I told him, he still stood in front of me as if searched for a last name. "Patricia Scott." I added.

"Alright Pattie, I'll see you around, then." He backed away from me with a smile.

"I really don't like it when people call me Pattie..." I sighed.

"See you, Pattie." He said with a wink, and he and the short guy walked off together.

I turned around and my friends had already began walking away, I guess tired of waiting for me. I ran after them in the brisk cold air.

"Hold on!" I shouted after them and ran off to join them.