Chapter 16

As I walked out of Marlon's apartment building, dress in hand, I was noticed.

"Pat!" A familiar voice shouted. When I turned around, it was George. "What are you doing here? I've been trying to reach you but your friends say you're not there."

"I've been busy." I said as I continued to walk forward. "I've just—"

George continued to follow me. He stopped me by standing in front of me and held my hand.

"You're the best girl on this island, and I'm glad I ran into you." He said while holding my hand and kissing it. "How about we go out together."

"Where?" I asked. I really wasn't wanting to go anywhere with him.

"To my parents." George offered. His parents? Why would I want to meet his parents.

"They're in Harlem and they'd be happy I met a fine girl like you." George said. I could only half listen. I looked up the tall building next to us, I could see Marlon watching with his head sticking out the window.

His toned shoulders were relaxed as he leaned out on his elbows, he grinned as he watched me refuse to be with anyone but him.

"Fine. I'll go with you." I exhaled and George was surprised.

"You will? That'll be great!" George said and gave me a tight hug. "I'll see you on Christmas."

"Christmas?" I asked as he wrapped an arm around my waist and began strolling down the street with me.

"It's a good thing I got you a little something." George smiled as he held me close. Suddenly, a body pushed past him, making him almost fall over.

When I looked, it was Marlon, shakily smoking a cigarette as he passed past us. Marlon quickly looked back. "Watch where you're going, motherfucker."

Shaken, I held onto George, but George didn't care because he didn't recognize him.

"You're the best girl I ever had." George said, giving me one of those attractive smiles. He kissed my cheek.

That night at the dorm I told Helen and Doris what happened. Doris leaned her back on the closed door of my dorm, smoking a cigarette. She wore man's boxers and a white t shirt.

Helen wore a satin night gown, and her hair was done even though she was going to sleep.

"Maybe it'll be nice going to see George!" Helen smiled excitedly.

"George, Marlon, James?" Doris asked. "Your list keeps getting longer and longer."

"I can't believe you were with two guys at once." Helen exhaled as she laid on my bed by my feet.

"Well, if I were you I'd concentrate on Marlon and James. You're here for a good time, not a long time." Doris said with folded arms.

"When we have sex, it's all about me. My pleasure." I boasted to them. Helen looked like she was day dreaming, Doris furrowed her eyebrows.

"If you really want a good time, you'd have them pleasure each other." Doris pointed out. "That'll really do it."

She then opened the door and walked out. Helen looked to me confused by her abrupt exit.

CHRISTMAS DAY

George held my hand as we made our way up the old, rickety building of his parent's apartment.

We knocked on the door, and on the other side you could hear multiple locks go off. A woman opened the door, and shot us a smile.