Chapter 6

As I walked out of that forsaken apartment, I could see James standing outside. He seemed to have been crying, and a cigarette was between his fingers.

When he saw me come out, he shook his head and walked off.

I was too in my feelings to wonder why he was still here when he said he had somewhere to be. I hauled a cab and was on my way.

As I sat inside the cab I held on tightly to my coat. My back was totally exposed from the fact he ruined my dress.

After a tedious ride of watching the cars pass by and the buildings in the afternoon sun, the taxi parked in front of Thomas Hunter Hall.

I reached into my lap only to realize I left my purse at Marlon's house. I couldn't do anything except hop out and run inside.

"Can anyone spare a few dollars?" I asked while running inside. Helen was on the first floor and saw me.

"Why do you need a buck?" Helen asked and before I could try to explain the driver was walking in.

"That nigger didn't pay me!" He pointed. "This is why I don't take—"

"Here. Here's your cash. Now leave." Helen said while putting the money in his hand. "Get out before we call security!"

The taxi drive spat on the floor, even though we were inside, and then turned around and walked out. Helen turned to me put her her hands on my arms.

"Are you okay? Why didn't you have cash?" She asked with a frown.

"I forgot my purse... I uh... I lost it when I was out." I hoped she wouldn't bring up the fact the last person I said I was going to be with was Marlon.

"You dirty, little tramp!" Helen said playfully with a smile. "You really were at that stud's house."

"But he has my purse and I—"

"And he kept you there all night and all day, it's 10 to 4 right now!" Helen said holding up her watch.

"I just need to go upstairs, change out of these clothes, take a shower and head to class." I sighed.

"Head to class?" Helen asked. "Well I'm not going anywhere special. I was just heading to SoHo to shop. I can get your purse for you."

"SoHo?" I asked with my head cocked to the side.

"Yes! That's what everyone is calling it now. It's South Of Houston Street." She explained with the most energetic smile.

"You don't need to get my purse..." I shook my head. "Although it'll be embarrassing for me because I told him I'd never go back."

"Ooh. That's how it went." Helen gave me a hug. She was so sweet all the time, it almost gave you diabetes. "You need your purse and you don't want to seem like you can't keep your word."

"Are you offering to get it for me?" I sighed. I hoped she was, because I really didn't want to see his face again.

"Of course. Where does this meanie of a man live?" Helen asked with furrowed eyebrows. Helen was the type of girl who could say tramp but wouldn't use words like asshole.

I gave her his address in Hell's Kitchen

"You're moxie for holding your head up the way you did." Helen insisted. "I'll see you later."

I walked upstairs and Helen walked out. I couldn't believe I let that man talk to me like that twice, and still get to sleep with me.

I promised myself not to do it again.

Helen P.O.V

The taxi pulled up as I looked into the mirror of my compact. I pressed the compact shut, and my brown leather gloves shuffled through my bag to paid him.

"Thanks sir!" I smiled.

Hopping out, my blonde hair blew in the wind as I walked inside the building. I walked up to his floor, and knocked.

"Hello?" I asked. I knocked again.

Marlon answers the door in a tight t-shirt and a beer in hand. You could tell he had been drinking.

"What do you want? I don't want any Avon products." He rudely answered before I could say a word.

He began shutting the door on me, and I held it it open.

"I— I came for my friend's purse?" I informed him. He opened the door and smirked, taking a drink from his beer.

"Well, a lot of girls come through here. That could be anyone. What's your friend's name?" He asked, his throat raspy from the alcohol he's drinking.

"Patricia." I told him. His eyes rose and he laughed, lifting his hands in the air.

"Patriciaaaaa!" He shouted and laughed. Drinking his beer he began stepping into his apartment. "Patricia, the one who left?"

"Did she just leave you hanging?" I asked, stepping into the apartment.

"Leave me hanging?" Marlon asked. "She left me fucking on a noose! Just ran out!"

I silently watched and held onto my own purse tightly as he carried on. He plopped on the couch and drank a few last drops.

"I told her to leave, and she left. Usually girls don't do that." He whined and stumbled over on the couch.

"Well, if you told her to leave..." I said. He sat up again and patted next to him. "I should get the purse then get going."

"You're such a beautiful girl. Those eyes are striking." He said as he looked at me.

"I'm not interested in that, I just want my friend's purse." I insisted. He squinted at me, then disappeared into what seemed to be his bedroom. He flung the purse across the room and it landed on my feet.

"There. Now leave." He said, laying on his couch. I picked up the purse off the floor and held onto both of our purses. I couldn't leave, all I could do was watch at that moment.

He smirked at me. "Well if you won't leave I guess I'll get comfortable."

He began unbutton his pants.

That was enough to make me bolt right out of that apartment, and head down to haul a taxi.