FIVE

Max was at a loss for words. She had a boyfriend. Correction. A fiancé. His son preferred the fiancé over him.

Spinning around he went back inside. How could he have been so stupid as to think Emilia still loved him? That they could still fix things between them and be a happy family? They'd been apart for nine good years. God knew how many men she'd seen in that time. It's not like he was a saint either. Like she'd told him, he had been with Lisandra and even allowed her to move into their bedroom. Hell, he'd been with other women too. So why did he expect her to be a saint? 

She was a beautiful, sexy, healthy woman. Of course men wanted her. She also had needs. When he'd met her, she had been a virgin. He had prided himself in knowing that he was the only man who had been with her. Maybe that's why it hurt so much to see her with another man. God, he was so stupid. He should have known she wasn't back for him. Then why was she back? Why did he care? She was the one who left him.

Maybe she was back to collect her alimony or to make their son hate him so that when she left this time, she would have cut all ties with him. You're my husband Max. Mine. Yeah right. It had been stupid to fall for that. For a second there, he'd believed that she hadn't stopped loving him. That even the years they'd spent apart hadn't come between the love they felt for each other. But then he had to ask himself if she really did love him to begin with?

He tried find the similarities between the Emilia he knew back then and the one he'd seen kissing another man. There was none. The woman he knew nine years ago was sweet. She wouldn't have done anything to hurt him. He knew that she was trying to get back at him by parading her boyfriend in front of him. She was getting back at him for Lisandra. Because he'd let her share their room with him. But did she have to do it in his house? Couldn't she meet her boyfriend somewhere else? And dear God, why did it hurt so much to see her with another man? She pushed your mother down the stairs.

"Goddammit!" he kicked the door to the study open and slammed it shut. Then punched the wall beside it several times. Shouldn't he be concentrating on the fact that Emilia had put his mother on a wheelchair instead of his jealousy?

This woman was driving him crazy. He didn't know what to think of her. One second she was saying something and the next her actions were contradicting what she'd said. How was he supposed to live with her without knowing what she was planning next? What if he woke up one day only to find out she had disappeared again? This time with his son. What would he do?

He wanted to know Zander. He hadn't been there when he was born or while he was growing up but now Emilia had brought him back. He couldn't pass up this chance to show his son that he wasn't the bad person he thought he was. Max couldn't let them leave without bonding with him. Whatever Emilia's plan was, she wouldn't succeed this time.

No. He wasn't going to allow her to manipulate him like that. She might have fooled him the first time around but not again. He wouldn't be caught off guard because he will be prepared this time. Moving away from the door, he sat behind the large mahogany desk and took out his phone.

"Hey Carter. What can I do you for?"

"Hello Davis. I need a favor"

"Anything for you my friend. What is it?"

Max rubbed his eyes with the back of his hand, "Emilia is back"

"Took her long enough. What does she want now? Money?"

"No. You won't believe it but she came back with my son. Turns out she didn't have an abortion"

Davis whistled "I didn't see that coming. Are you sure the kid is yours?"