Thirteen

"Who knew Lisandra was such a vengeful witch? Oh wait, the question should be who didn't know so that the answer could be Max Carter" Preston said sarcastically.

"Very mature Nash. I also remember you believing those lies"

"Yeah but I wasn't sleeping with her. You my friend should ask yourself why you're so stupid sometimes. When it comes to women, you literally go blind"

"You're right" Max sighed. It was true that he was weak when it came to women. To him, they were delicate creatures that needed to be protected. But over the years, he'd come to see Lisandra in a completely new light. She was a chameleon who changed her colors according to the environment she was in. That alone should have been proof enough to tell him what kind of a person she was but alas! He was blind.

After Gwen had told him what had happened all those years ago, he'd gone in search of Lisandra to ask her why she'd lied. The woman told him bravely to his face that she despised his wife and had wanted to get rid of her. She knew that if he hated her then he wouldn't go looking for her. It was a clever thing to do because that's exactly how he'd felt. He hadn't wanted to look for Emilia after finding out that she was the one who'd pushed his mother down the stairs.

Deep down there was a part of him that had been relieved. She'd left on her own so there wouldn't be any more misunderstandings between her and his mother. Their fights were getting out of hand and in all honesty he hadn't known how to stop them. But the bigger part of him that loved her hadn't looked for her because he was afraid that the second he saw her, their relationship would be over. The anger he felt would have forced him to ask her for divorce.

Then he wouldn't have known that he had a son and that everything they'd accused her of were all lies. So maybe he had no right to be mad at Lisandra. In a way, she had saved his marriage even though it was falling apart now. When he'd found out Emilia had gone out, Max had felt bad that she hadn't asked him for his credit card or car keys. That was the only thing he could use to at least talk to her. But it turned out that she didn't really need it or him.

If he let her become independent, he would never be able to make her see that she needed him. She didn't have a job or any means to support herself. He would gladly provide for her even without asking because she was his wife. But he also wanted her to need him. Physically, emotionally and financially. The only way to make that happen was have her start depending on him financially. The real question was how to do that when he didn't know where she got her money from.

The clothes and jewelry she wore were expensive. Nothing about her was the same as before. Could Jennings be the one providing for her? If so then he had to stop. Emilia had him now and he had more than enough money to support her and their son.

"Tell me something Nash, what can I do to get her back? Think big"

"I'm not going to help you. Accept that your marriage is over and go your separate ways"

"I have a son. We have a son Nash. Why the hell would I let Emilia go? So that another man can raise my child? Fuck no. I don't want to have weekend visits and long distance calls"

Preston laughed "You realize that you're using your son to keep her with you. Right?"

"I will do anything to keep her by my side. Even if it means sleeping on the couch for the rest of my life. Now start brainstorming"

"Buy her a car or some jewelry"

Max shook his head "You're so cheap man. This is Emilia we're talking about here. She would just sneer at those things then I would end up looking like the cheap one"

"Oh yeah, I almost forgot. The reason you fell in love with her was because she wasn't interested in your money. How romantic" Preston retorted sighing dramatically.