Fourteen

"Emilia, there's someone I want you to meet" Max said following her to the door.

"I don't have time to meet your friends Max. I'm busy"

"He's not my friend"

"Whoever he is I really don't care. I'm running late"

He shot out his hand to block her way "Where are you going in such a hurry anyway?"

"What I do is none of your business Max. Get out of my way"

"Okay, maybe I deserve that. But you have to meet this guy because you'll be spending the whole day with him from now on"

"Of late I've had this overwhelming feeling to beat the shit out of you. Leave me alone before I give in to that urge"

"I know you're mad at me but at least take care of yourself. I don't want you to get hurt"

Emilia narrowed her eyes at him. Since when did he care about her? "Shouldn't you be guarding your mother's door so I don't get in and hurt her?"

"I said I was sorry about that. Why won't you forgive me?"

"Because I don't feel like it. Are we done here? Like I said, I'm running late"

"Okay. Take Calvin with you. He's your new bodyguard"

"Are you kidding me?" she asked placing her bag on the table beside the door. She was on her way out when Max stopped her just to tell her that he'd hired a bodyguard for her. Forget needing one, he didn't even ask if she wanted to hire one. She would have liked a heads up at least.

"No. I took your friend's advice and hired someone to protect you"

"Without asking me first?"

"I just thought...."

"That I would love it if someone followed me around all day? Or are you doing this just to keep an eye on me? Is that it Max? Are you watching and waiting for me to make a mistake so you can use it to take Zander away from me?"

"You can't believe that Em"

"I will never put anything past you. I've come to realize that with you, anything is possible"

"This conversation is pointless. You're still angry and won't listen to anything I have to say. If you don't want to keep Calvin then fire him yourself" turning around, he left. Emilia snorted. Did he think she wasn't capable of firing him? And where was the guy anyway? She hadn't been joking when she told him that she was running late.

Max might have thought that since she came back to him she was going to rely on him like she did before. But that would never happen again. Everything she had now she'd worked for it. Her clothes, jewelry, Zander's stuff. She bought everything with her own money. After leaving the Carter mansion she'd learnt a hard lesson. Never to rely on anyone ever again. So when Sawyer had offered her a job she'd taken it.

Since she didn't want to take advantage of his kindness, she'd started off as a maid and worked her way up to where she was now. The manager of Sawjen hotel. Everyone knew that she didn't take anything for free. Asking Max for his credit card the other day had been a test. To see if he trusted her or not. He'd of course passed with flying colors but the idiot had to go and ruin it by falsely accusing her of things she hadn't done. Shaking her head she opened the door ready to leave. Only to find a guy dressed in a black suit standing in front of it. His back was to her so she couldn't see his face.

Which worked out fine for her because she didn't need to know who he was "You must be Calvin. My husband made a mistake by hiring you so you're fired. I'm sorry for wasting your time" she said walking past him. But he rushed forward and stood in front of her. It was the second time that day that someone was blocking her way and it was starting to piss her off "Listen here Mister...." she stopped when she saw his face. "You?"