Chapter 25

Loki stared at the hammer in his hand. He couldn't believe he was holding Mjolnir. And not just in the manner of his admittedly mischievous youth where he tried to lift the thing more times than he cared to admit. Hel, one of the last times he'd tried it, the damn thing had sparked lightning, burning his fingers.

And now?

Now he was holding it.

Wielding it.

He didn't have time to worry about that at the moment. The giant was back and as angry as ever. Loki gripped the hammer more tightly and planted his feet. Fighting with the hammer was much different than fighting with his daggers. He was used to fighting on the balls of his feet, darting in jabbing a few times and darting out again before he got hurt. Mjolnir was a stronger weapon, a heavier weapon, for all that it now felt light in Loki's hand. He had to plant his feet, shift his weight, throw his hips and his body weight into gaining the power he needed while he swung the hammer ruthlessly into the giant's head.

The giant went flying. For all that Loki was thinner and less obviously muscled than his brother, he was still a trained warrior, still muscled and combat trained. He knew more weapons than his beloved daggers, they were just his specialty.

The giant crashed on the other side of the battle and Loki could stare for another moment at the hammer in his hands, disbelieving that he was actually wielding it. After centuries of dreaming of being worthy, he was actually wielding it.

"Brother, I know you're pleased to be worthy, but I could really use my hammer back!" Thor called across the battlefield.

Loki smirked and did something he had wanted to do since he was a small child.

He chucked Thor's stupid hammer at Thor's stupid head as hard as he could.

He lit up in glee as the hammer flew across the battlefield to his brother. His glee was slightly diminished with the fact that Thor caught the hammer, but it was still there in the fact that he'd been able to throw the hammer. It would've been so much sweeter had it smacked Thor in the nose.

He might've been a touch vindictive over being tormented with that stupid hammer for years.

Just a touch.

He turned his attention back to the battle, summoning his dagger in one hand and a bolt of magic in the other. The creatures were swarming, coming to attack the civilians.

It was then that something happened that none of them expected.

Even the Asgardians.

Or perhaps especially the Asgardians.

Frigga stepped forward, away from the circle of protection, away from where Wanda was shielding the civilians, away from pretending she was a civilian. Soft golden power glowed around her as she stepped forward to face the charge of creatures, her blade held expertly in her hand.

"Mother?" Loki asked, overflowing with worry for his beloved mama.

She gave him a reassuring smile. "Together, my son. We will protect our family together," she told him warmly. Loki nodded and the pair rushed into the battle. Loki stayed close to his mother, but he needen't have worried. She was beyond skilled on the battlefield and Loki was forced to remember that she had taught him how to fight all of those centuries ago.

The pair were blurs as they fought and they fought identically with speed and deadly skill as their blades blurred and magic shown as they threw spells at their enemies.

The creatures turned on them, recognizing the pair for the threat that they were. There was no fear in either of them when they found themselves surrounded by enemies. Frigga simply reached for Loki's free hand. He held her hand in his, their power combining around their joined hands. Without needing words, they both sank into their power, both sank to the depths of that well of strength inside them.