Chapter 3 - Mixed Signals

MacKenzie's POV

I watch Barry speed around the kitchen making breakfast.

I'm sitting on the couch, watching him instead of the TV because he is much more interesting than the news.

Then, he's gone.

And then he's back.

He catches a pancake on the way down.

He finally stops speeding around and looks over at me.

"Impressed?" Barry asks me, smiling.

"Very." I say and then I see that he has three cups of Jitters in his hand. I perk up. "You got me coffee?"

"Ha, no." Barry says, walking over with the cups and two plates of pancakes. "The last thing I need is you on caffeine." He hands me the cup. "It's hot chocolate."

"Well, thank you anyway." I say, taking the cup and the plate a pancake and some eggs on it.

Barry sits down next to me on the couch and plays Cisco's sped up version of shows over the last six months.

"What? Whoa." Barry says as the flashes go by. Then he laughs. I stare at the screen, all I see are lights flashing. "No!" Barry exclaims. "Huh?"

I continue to stare forward as Iris walks in.

"Barry?" Iris asks.

"Hey." Barry says.

"Hi, you're up early." Iris says.

"Yeah." Barry answers.

"Doing what, exactly?" Iris asks him.

"Uh, I'm just catching up on all the TV I missed while I was stuck in the Speed Force." Barry says. "When you've been gone six months, the world is a minefield of spoilers. But Cisco hooked me up with the 1,000-times sped up version of my favorite shows. Aw, Jon Snow died. Oh, he's alive!"

"Huh. And here I was thinking you'd need a jump start for your loopy brain." Iris says, sitting next to him.

"Nope. Brain good. All of me is good." Barry says.

Him and Iris kiss.

Barry's phone buzzes.

"Mmm. Joe needs me. Crime scene." Barry says, jumping up.

"Oh, that's okay. I should probably get started on our neglected wedding plans. It's gonna take me forever to get through this binder, so..." Iris trails off.

"Oh, no. Don't worry about it. I'm done with it." Barry says.

"You're done?" Iris asks.

"Yeah." Barry says. "I locked in a caterer, I got you your favorite flowers, I put a deposit on a venue with an amazing view, I got that seven tier raspberry chocolate cake."

"Well, I guess you've got everything covered." Iris says.

"So, my lovely fiance can remain stress-free." Barry says, kissing her. "Save me a bear claw?"

"Ooh, no promises, speedster. You whoosh, you lose." Iris says.

"Alright, bye guys." Barry says.

"Oh, wait." Iris says and Barry stops. "Can you take Mack to school?"

"Of course." Barry says. I get up and grab my bag.

"I'm staying at Caitlin's tonight." I inform them, even though they probably already knew.

"Hop on." Barry says, turning around.

I jump on his back and we speed out.

***