Chapter 15 - Therefore I Am

MacKenzie's POV

"I don't know, Barry." Joe says in the cortex after him and Barry had come back from the DeVoe house. "This shy college professor who likes mac 'n' cheese doesn't exactly seem like a criminal mastermind to me."

"I mean, come on." Barry says. "It wouldn't be the first time somebody played nice and then turned out to be our bad guy. The Council of Wells gave us his name for a reason."

"He gave us one name out of--" Iris starts.

"1,100." Barry finishes.

"1,122 to be precise." Harry corrects.

"He was off by 22." Barry says. "I mean, isn't that a little suspicious?"

"Not if he Googled himself." Cisco says

"I'm just saying there's something weird about this guy." Barry says. "He likes samurai!"

"Who doesn't?" Cisco asks. "Have you seen 'Zatoichi'?"

"The Blind Swordsman?" Harry and Cisco say at the same time.

"Best Criterion Collection..." Cisco starts.

"Great box set..." Harry says.

"Okay, guys." Barry says. "Think about this: If the Council's right, that means DeVoe arranged for me to come out of the Speed Force exactly where he wanted. Even you couldn't do that."

"You have a point." Cisco says.

"Okay, let's cover all our bases." Caitlin says.

"Agreed." Barry says.

"Okay, Cisco, Harry, Mack, you three want to see what kind of digital footprint you can get on this guy?" Iris says. "Caitlin, you've got friends at CCU. Let's see what kind of person we're dealing with."

"Will do." Caitlin says.

We all start grouping off.

***

"So this is an example of meta-DNA." Caitlin says, showing us the screen in the med lab. "This is the DNA you brought me from DeVoe. It's completely normal. Do you see all the differences? Clifford DeVoe is not a meta."

"Did you three find anything?" Iris asks, looking to us.

"Well, he's never been arrested, he pays all his taxes and his mortgage." Cisco says. "He has a very reasonable 401k plan."

"Donates to the Sierra Club." Harry says.

"Volunteers at an orphanage as a big brother." I say.

"Dad didn't find anything either." Iris says. "Says that he's an upstanding member of the community."

"Yeah, I talked to some friends at Oxford." Caitlin says. "They said DeVoe's a little absentminded, but everybody likes him."

"Guys, I'm telling you." Barry says. "Clifford DeVoe is not what he seems."

"That could just be the wheelchair." Cisco suggests. "I mean--"

"No." Barry says.

"You do kind of have a bad history." Cisco says, pointing over at Harry.

"That wasn't me." Harry says.

"Come on." Barry says. "He's just too perfect. Okay? I just I have a strong feeling that he's hiding something." It's silent for a moment. "You don't believe me."

"No, it's not that we don't believe you, Barry." Iris says. "It's just, right now DeVoe seems like a good guy."

"Guys, it's him." Barry says.