Chapter 1

--------------------xxxx---------xxxx----------------------

"The things that make me different

Are the things that Make me"

                                                           ~ Winnie The Pooh

-------------------xxxx---------xxxx------------------------

Alex's P.O.V

Grabbing my jacket I slip out of the back of my house without disturbing the rest of my family. I head over to the local bakery to buy our daily ration of bread before they run out. The sun is just rising over the horizon and rays can be seen peeking through the thick canopy as I head over to the village.

My father thought it best that we have our house built in the forest so in case of an attack we would have some cover and be able to escape much easier than if we were living in the village.

The village is quite a distance from our house but I manage to reach there in just 5 minutes even though I'm walking while my mother would usually take 15.

Let me give you a brief overview of my life.

My name is Alex Harlow. I live with my mother and brother and in the absence of my father have been taking care of them for the past 6 years. I am tall and lean and I have the most striking blue eyes, or so I've been told.

I do most of the jobs around the house and when all that is done I go and help around the village.

Most of the people in the village just sit around the salons gossiping and talking- well talking mostly about me. How I was a disgrace to womankind and all sorts of nonsense. 

I didn't pay attention to anything they said because it didn't matter much to me. I needed to earn some sort of money for daily use. The money my father sent for us every month was for the rent, electricity and water supply, that's all it covered.

My brother was sick hence he couldn't do any of this stuff, which was why i had to be the one to step into my fathers shoes and not him. My mother had grown up not working and wasn't used to doing anything other than keeping house, which was what most of the girls in the village were born and bred for.

She tried a dozen times to get me to quit and sit at home or around town like one of the normal girls saying she would be able to manage, but i knew she was just kidding herself.

"Good morning Alex.", the baker greets as he hands me 3 loaves of bread.

"Thanks Mr. Pierce. Have a good day!", I say tucking the bread into my jacket and setting off back home. 

As I walk back, I stroll through the woods taking my time to enjoy everything around me. As I reach home, I check to see if anyone's awake, but the house looks peaceful and quiet.

I place the bread on the kitchen counter and head out back to chop some wood for today. The sun is still rising and I'm done pretty soon. 

I then collect the wood and place it in a pile near the fireplace and head out to the village to see if there's any work for me.

I head over to the village healing lady first. She usually always requires some herbs or roots for her antidotes.

"Morning Natalia.", I say as i walk in through the curtains of her house which functions as her door. 

"Greetings Alex.", she says smiling. "If you're looking for something to do, I regret to inform you that I already have everything I need sweetie.'"

"That's alright Natalia. You have a great day!", I say walking out.

"You too Alex.", she says through the drapes her singsong voice sounding like the spring that flows through the woods.

I then head over to the butchers shop.

"'Morning Flint.", I say walking into his small shop.

"Goo' mornin' to ya Alex.", he says sharpening his knives for the day.

"Is there anything you need me to do today Flint?", I ask looking around the shop.

"O' course lass. I need you to fix me roof you see. Them rains are comin' an' I don' wan' any floodin' happenin' when they do.", he says looking up to the roof of his shop.

"Not a problem at all Flint. But what am i to get from it?", I ask looking at him with an eyebrow raised.

"Aye, I'll give ya 4 hurrs and some of me leftovers.", he says looking me in the eye.

"Five. And  you've got yourself a deal.",I say smiling at him.

"Aye lass ya got it. What are we gonna do with ya'", he asks smiling and shaking his head. 

"You take care Flint!", I say walking out of his shop and back home to get my tools.

Everyone in the village is quite fond of me, especially the poorer side of the village or the "Shambles" as it's called. 

Although my father and mother both come from the richer part of town or the "Regalia" as we call it, they were both denounced by their parents and stripped of their titles because the village elders didn't approve of my father joining the army, and since my mother supported him, she shared the same fate. 

My father used to tell me stories when I was younger, of his life on the other side of town. How he hated just sitting in one place, doing nothing except going to parties and learning how to act like a "Perfect Gentleman".

And how the only time he could ever really be himself is when he ran off into the woods.

He told me never to be ungrateful for what we have, for although it may not be much, it taught me a lot more than anyone in the Regalia would ever learn.

As my train of thought comes to an end, I'm already back home. I see a trail of smoke coming out of the chimney which reminds me that I have to clean it soon. I put it on my mental task list, grab my tool box and head back to the butcher's shop.

I climb the roof and get to work. 

I'm only halfway done when all of a sudden a huge bang resonates from the horizon.

A couple of people stop what they're doing and look over to the origin of the sound. But soon everyone gets back to what they were doing, like nothing even happened in the first place.

No one is even bothered by these explosions anymore; they've become a common occurrence. Surprisingly today has been a relatively quiet day. I stare at the horizon which gives away nothing but suspense.    

I close my eyes, take a deep breath and get back to work. Staring idly at the horizon doing nothing is not going to help anyone; especially me.

Nothing has been the same since the war. Nothing.

------------------------------xxxx-----xxxx------------------------------

Hey guys!

I know that this story is a lot different from my last story but Cliches are so predictable! I wanted to give you something that will keep you wondering what's going to happen next.

So I give you "Caught Between Our Worlds".

I wanted to give the world of fiction a shot and here I am!

Tell me what your thoughts on this are and please leave suggestions.

I really do hope you'll love it cause i love fiction/fanatsy/adventure. And I hope I do justice to it.

So anyways!!

Love all you guys!

Like!Comment!Share!

XoxoKatherine