Chapter 21

-------------------xxxx------xxxx-----------------

"I think that women are

Afraid to be vulnerable 

Because they think it

Makes them look weak"

 ~Julia Michaels

-----------------xxxx------xxxx------------------

Alex's P.O.V

Stepping out of the car along with Nate I was definitely feeling a little nervous. Masking my nerves and putting on a neutral expression I grab my bag pack from the back seat and move to stand besides Nate.

"All in order.", Nate yells standing with his hands behind his back.

For a second his voice echos throughout the whole area and then I hear the scramble of feet coming towards us. I take an apprehensive step back and I see a slight smirk on Nate's face at my actions before his features become impassive once more.

All at once the empty area infront of us is filled with soldiers. As I study them with a well practised blank expression on my face I notice that most of them must be in their late twenties and early thirties. A lot of them were sneaking curious glances at me but as soon as they caught my eye they averted their gaze back to Nate.

"Gentlemen, this is the Alex. I have already breifed you all on her arrival and I hope you all remember what I said because I won't be repeating it. I know you'll are used to it being just 'the guys', but she deserves to be here just as much as any of you. Her first two weeks here will be her training period, the same as all of you go through. If anyone has a problem with her being here, suck it up. She's here to stay.", he says.

"And if anyone gives her a hard time, you'll have me to deal with.", he adds in a threatening tone.

"You'll are dismissed.", he continues his voice going back to it's normal tone. 

The sudden change in his demeanor is certainly surprising, but non of the other people seem surprised by it. As everyone disperses I notice someone walking up to us. I observed that during the entire speech Nate was giving, this guy was continously smirking while his eyes flicked between Nate and I.

"Nathan.", he says still smirking.

"Don't start Benjamin.", he says narrowing his eyes.

Ignoring Nate completely he turns to me and I can see the mischievous twinkle in his eyes, and I imediately know he and I are going to get along just fine. Grinning widely he puts out his hand for me to shake.

"Hello Alex, as Nathaniel so joyfully said, my name is Benjamin Miller. But you may call me Ben.", he says with a wink.

I struggle to keep myself from smiling but I bet he could see the laughter in my eyes because his grin imediately became wider. 

Quickly flitting my eyes over to Nate I see his fists clenched at his sides while he glares daggers at Ben.

"Hello Benjamin. It's a pleasure to meet you.", I say reaching out and shaking his hand while returning his grin with one of my own.