Chapter 30

-------------------xxxx-------xxxx-------------------

"You learn so much

From taking chances,

Whether they work out or not.

Either way, you can grow

From the experience and become

Stronger and Smarter."

~John Legend

-------------------xxxx-------xxxx-------------------

Alex's P.O.V

I wipe the sweat of my forehead with the back of hand and I stare at all the work still left to do.

Can't go running off to the lake anymore Alex.

"Hey, how's the leg?", I hear from behind me.

Placing the plank down I turn to see Oliver standing behind me.

"Asks the guy that was buried under a ton of debris.", I say smiling at him in amusement.

"Hey I wasn't the one that almost died!", He says raising his eyebrows.

"Don't remind me. Everyone's treating me like I'm a china doll.", I say rolling my eyes and turning back to what I was working on.

It had been a week since the attack and most of the cabins were up again. But Nate wanted us to be prepared for the worst at all times so we had to set up a couple more measures.

He didn't want me working but I wasn't going to sit by and watch any longer. Today was my first day back.

"So how come you're working on your own?", He asks.

Putting the plank in place I don't turn around but I answer him anyway.

"They think that if they don't help me I'm going to give up. What they don't know is that I've been working on my own my whole life, so I'll be fine.", I say hammering the nail into the plank.

Oliver didn't say anything for a while, so I turn around to see if he was still there. He was studying me with a worried look in his eyes.

"What?", I ask, sighing.

"Nothing. I'll let you get back to it.", He says softly.

"Right.", I say nodding and turning back to what I was working on.

The look that Oliver was studying me with took me back a couple of weeks to when I was getting those looks from everyone I knew in Sector 18.

To say I hated that look would be an understatement. Sure my father died but you don't have to pity me. I was fine and I could take care of myself and my family. And that's what I was doing right now.

If you're so fine why are you fighting to keep your tears at bay?

Ignoring the little voice in my head I got back to work. I was currently working on the stairs outside Bunker 17. And I still had a lot left to do. Crying over nothing was not going to get me anywhere.

"Hey.", I hear Nate say from behind me.

"Hi.", I say not turning around.

"I got some news from Sector 18. I need to head over there. Please come with me?", He says and I could hear the sincerity in his voice.

"Fine.", I say, still not looking back at him.

I dust off my pants and walk past him without even sparing him a glance. I walk over to where the car was and get in.

Pretty soon we're driving through the lush green forests back to Sector 18. Driving back home, I could feel the lump in my throat and the tears building up just thinking of everyone.

"I just wanted to say sorry.", Nate says breaking the silence.

"For what? You didn't do anything.", I say looking out the window away from him.

"Look, being part of the army basically means we have each other's backs. And I guess I was just being stubborn this morning when I refused to help you, and that's not what the army is about. And that's not what you deserved after helping out so much. So I'm sorry and yes I have to apologise for what I did.", He says glancing at me for a second before shifting his gaze back on the road ahead.

"I just don't want you guys to treat me like a piece of china. I just felt like I finally proved myself in the army and then after the attack everyone seemed to forget that I could handle myself.", I say looking down at my hands that were still muddy from doing work all morning.

"And I'll make sure they don't forget ever again.", He says softly.

"Thanks Nate.", I say, still looking at my hands, a small smile on my face.

We just sit in silence for a while till I hear him cursing under his breath before the car starts to slow down and then comes to a stop.

"What? Why did you stop?", I ask, turning to him.

"I didn't.", He says slowly.

"Strix!", I curse softly turning away from him and looking out the window to see if I could see anyone or anything.

"Come on, start!", he says under his breath as he furiously tries getting the car to start.

My eyes still on the forest around us I see shadows darting behind the trees getting closer and closer.

"If I get the car to start, will you promise not to freak out?", I say hurriedly, turning to Nate.

Panic rising in me at the approaching figures in the shadows.

"Freak out? Why would I freak out?", He asks, still turning the keys frantically. His eyes also on the forest outside.

"Just promise me you won't!", I say close to yelling.

"Okay okay I promise!", He says taking his hands off the wheel and keys.

I had seconds before whatever was in the forest reached us. Quickly putting a power buffer around me I start the car with a snap of my fingers, and push the acceleration down.

The car moves so suddenly and fast that I'm thrown back in my seat but I manage to retain my concentration.

I was completely focused on getting us out of there, that I only noticed the silence in the car when we were approaching the sector.

Turning to look at Nate I see him staring at me, a hard look on his face.

"Nate.", I say hesitantly slowing the car down and bringing it to a halt

"Just get us to the sector and park near the wall, don't let anyone see you. I have urgent business.", He says to me, his tone emotionless before opening the door and getting out of the car.

Watching him walk away I didn't know what this could mean for me. No one knew and I worked so hard to keep it that way. I couldn't get kicked out of the army, I had nowhere to go and now I didn't know if I could stay in the army either.

What am I going to do now?

-------------------xxxx-------xxxx-------------------

Hey Guys!

Hope you like the new chapter!

Finally the moment I have been waiting to write!!!

Let me know what you think in the comments!!

And don't forget to Vote and Share!!

Love you guys!! *Kisses*

XoxoKatherine ❤️