Chapter 25

-------------------xxxx-------xxxx-------------------

"Our fate lives within us,

We only need to be

Brave enough to see it."

       ~Princess Merida;
Taken from Brave

-------------------xxxx-------xxxx-------------------

Alex's P.O.V

Reaching the edge of the forest, I crouch down behind a tree and look to the clearing where the camp is and gasp at the sight that meets my eyes. The entire camp was in ruins, all the bunkers looked like they had never even been there, and there were several bunkers that were on fire.

C'mon Nate, where are you?

Putting an invisibility shield around me so my magic wouldn't be detected by the monsters, I step out from behind the tree but still stand in the shadows of the forest. Once out from behind the tree I finally spot Nate helping a couple of guys get out from under the debris. 

My eyes then landed on the troll. The troll was about 15 feet tall, his yellow green body was covered with warts the size of my fist. He radiated a stench that made me gag. I mean I heard that trolls smelt foul, but I could literally see the smell radiating off of this one.

I guess the giant and ogre had retreated after wreaking havoc on the camp because there was no sign of them anywhere. My biggest concern at the moment, was that the troll had spotted Nate and was making a beeline straight for him.

Nate had his back to the troll, and was busy pulling wooden planks off of someone. I have no idea how he couldn't hear the troll approaching, maybe he was still in a daze or something but I knew Nate would end up as troll pancake if I didn't do something. As quickly as I could I raise a force field between Nate and the troll.

The troll was still running at full speed straight at my force field and I didn't know if my force field would withstand the impact. Putting all my concentration into maintaining the force field I held my breath waiting for the impact.

"Nathan!", I hear a panicked cry come from my right.

Risking a glance I see Ben, gun in hand running towards Nate, his eyes fixed on the troll panic and terror clear in his features.

Just as Ben was about to fire his first shot, the troll crashed face first into my force field and went down causing the ground to rumble. Everything seemed to still for a minute. Ben and Nate both just stood staring at where my force field was, probably stunned. And I waited with baited breath to see if the troll would get back up again.

Snapping out of the daze, both Nate and Ben made their way over to the troll. And as quickly as I put it up, I took the force field down.

Ben walked over to the head of the troll and slowly kicked it to one side.

"Out cold.", He muttered but I was pretty good at reading lips so I caught what he was saying.

On the other side, Nate was examining the place where my force field was. He was walking back and forth trying to figure out what the troll came up against.

"What do you think happened?", Ben said walking up to him.

Nate was too far away from me to hear what he said and I couldn't read his lips either because his face was facing away from me and to Ben.

"Why would they help us?", Ben asks looking all around.

Nate says something to him and then Ben nods and heads off back in the direction of the underground shelter.

Nate pulls the guy from under the shelter and makes him sit in the clearing where his Jeep was. Moving back into the camp grounds he walks right to the centre of the field and stops.

What are you doing Nate?

"I don't know who you are or why you saved us, but thank you.", Nate says in a loud voice to no one in particular.

Looking all around once more he nods his head slowly and then heads back to the cabins to see if there was anyone else that needed his help.

I stay in my spot for a while waiting for the troll to wake up or for something else to happen but nothing did. Pretty soon everyone started walking in from the direction of the bunker.

Moving back into the forest I take off my invisibility shield and walk into the crowd of people heading to the camp hoping no one noticed I just walked from a completely different direction.

Weaving in and out of the crowd I try to find Noah.

"What do you mean you don't know where she is!", I hear Nate's voice carry over from somewhere in the front, and from his tone of voice I could tell he was trying not to punch the daylights out of someone.

That's my cue.

"I don't know. She was with me in the shelter!", Noah's frustrated voice said back.

Well, at least the influence worked.

"You know, the way you're talking about me people might think I'm some sort of helpless damsel.", I say walking over to them an eyebrow raised.

"Oh thank heavens!", Nate says, pushing Noah out of the way and walking over to me.

I notice a certain look pass over Noah's face but it was gone in a second as he caught my eye. Giving me a tight smile he heads over to our Bunker, or what's left of it.

What is with him?

I was about to walk over to him and ask what all that was about but then Nate was standing in front of me scanning me from head to toe.

"You need to get that leg checked out.", he says  not meeting my eyes.

"Why are you so concerned about me? I mean there are people more injured than I am! Is it just because I'm a girl?", I say narrowing my eyes at him.

I didn't mean for my words to be so hard but the words were out there now and I couldn't take them back.

"It's not just because you're a girl.",he says softly meeting my eyes.

"Well then I can handle myself. Go see what everyone else needs. I can handle myself.", I say.

He still seemed reluctant to move, and his eyes kept flicking to the wound on my leg. Putting my hands on the sides of his face I force him to look at me.

"Nate, I'm fine. They need you more than I do.", I say giving him a small smile.

His eyes examine my face, apparently he seemed satisfied so he took a step back. Only then did I realise how close we were standing.

I feel my cheeks heat up and I turn quickly so that Nate wouldn't see it. But from the smirk I could clearly see on his face a second before I turned I knew he saw my flaming cheeks as clear as the day.

Walking in the direction of our cabin I brace myself for what I was about to see.

Please let there be no one under the rubble. Those guys were like my second family and although I had only known them for a week we were all close.

Deep breaths Alex. Don't be so emotional. If anyone's under the rubble they need you to be strong right now.

-------------------xxxx------xxxx------------------

Helloooo my lovlieesss!

Hope you liked the new chapter!! You got a lot more of Alex and Nate!! Hope you're as excited as I am!! Lol

Don't forget to vote and share!!

And leave me all your thoughts in the comments section!!

Love you all!! *Muahhhhhh*

XoxoKatherine