» ˢᴱᵛᴱᴺᵀᴱᴱᴺ «

ok so um i decided to do a little time skip even though it's not very little,,, that's all i wanted to tell y'all so the beginning of this chapter doesn't confuse anyone. ok thanks uwu bye

hongjoong's POV.

it was currently yeosang's ninth birthday.

i know, three years went by so fast.

i'm here to give some filler on what has changed.

let's go in the order i adopted the kids in.

yunho grew even more. he's the tallest, i don't remember his height, but he's definitely a solid three inches taller than most of the kids, which about 4/6 of them are average heights. i was scared it would make him insecure, but he keeps telling me about how he wants to be tall, so i guess it works out. his dancing skills have skyrocketed, especially since he has longer, thin but strong legs that help him move around a bit better. other than that, nothing has really changed.

san might've changed the slightest bit, if at all. he still had his deep dimples, he was still loud and super outgoing, and he still hugged and kissed shiber goodnight every single night. his plushie collection grew enormously, even though shiber is still on top. the plushies take up all his shelves, desk spaces, and surround his bed. it's a bit creepy sometimes. and somehow, he's gotten even louder. he and wooyoung collectively formed their own hyena laughs.

speaking of wooyoung, he hasn't changed much either. he's been begging me to let him dye his hair, but i told him when he's older. i don't know how i feel about walking around with a purple eight-year-old. one thing i did let him get into a little bit was makeup. i know, weird for an eight-year-old to be interested in makeup, but as long as it's not too much, and as long as it makes him happy, then i'm okay with it. other than all of that, he's still the same strong-willed, loud, happy kid he's been since we first met him and san.

next is mingi. of course, the main topic, he still has depression. for the first two years, it was moderate. we had a decent working medicine, but he still didn't really like the therapist. then, early last year, once he'd finally gotten to the age that he was strong enough to retaliate, he would refuse to go into therapy every time. we had to find a different therapy, which meant he was out of it for a while. that was when the medicine also stopped working. he hit his lowest point so far and we were so desperate for a solution. i'll tell how it affected him some other time, but eventually, we found a cheaper, friendlier therapy center that mingi, though he didn't like it at first, started to become a bit fond of. they prescribed working medicine, and everything was back in shape. mingi is doing much better, now.

then, of course, yeosang. i'm sure everyone is most curious about his speaking situation, and i really wish i could say he's gotten much better at it, but it hasn't changed much, sadly. we've talked to a lot of different professionals, and all we've really heard is words along the lines of "it's a really complicated case, so we don't know for sure but..." and then they tell us the same things; they tell us he's a rare case (we are quite aware), and they say that they don't think therapy will make it much better. other cases tell them that his rare disability won't only prevent understand speaking, but it can prevent memories of when he understands how.

so, currently, and sadly, at now nine years old, his vocabulary is pretty much the same, even though he still looks and acts like a nine-year-old should.

sorry, that was a long explanation. anyways.

now the youngest. jongho is now a tiny bit taller than wooyoung, san, and yeosang, but definitely not as tall as yunho or mingi. he still has his squishy cheeks from when he was a baby, and he thinks it's ugly, but i know it's cute. even though he's the youngest (he hasn't even turned eight yet), he's definitely the strongest. it's kind of scary. he's been taking vocal classes for almost two years, and all of his teachers have said that if his dream is to be a singer, he wouldn't have too much trouble with that dream. his voice is powerful.

aside from everyone's individual growth, there was also a series of family events that happened. a lot more can happen in three years than i thought.

there were the good parts of these past three years, like us finally getting enough money to move to a new, much bigger home (four bedrooms, four pairs; seonghwa and i obviously being one of them), jongho's intelligence exceeding people's expectations once he got into school, us attending a BTS concert as a family, and plenty of successful performances from wooyungi's dance team.

but of course, there were the bad parts. not too long ago, we got into a pretty bad car accident, which not only cost us a lot, but, even though no one got hurt, i'll never forget the terrified looks on my poor six babies' faces when it happened, i feel so awful that they had to be involved in it. there was also, obviously, the day we were officially told that yeosang would probably never speak properly, and the time jongho got a minor concussion, not to mention mingi's second runaway attempt, which i will explain later.

we had ups and downs, but right now, our family was happy where we were.

anyways, back to yeosang's birthday.

we'd just finished singing happy birthday to him, and he blew out the nine candles on his skateboard themed cake, as everyone cheered and clapped.

he smiled and signed thank you.

oh right, did i mention him, seonghwa, and i all learned sign language together so he could communicate?

we're not pros, yet. we're, i guess, maybe a little advanced, but it's not much. yeosang learns much faster than seonghwa and i, so he knows more than we do. i guess our brains are just burnt out.

anyways, afterwards, seonghwa began to cut the cake, which sent san and mingi darting to hide behind me, because they were afraid of the knife.

i patted their heads while seonghwa put a big piece on the special plate, then giving it to yeosang, before beginning to cut pieces for everyone else. "i want four pieces!" "i want five!" "can i have the whole cake?" "i want three cakes." "boys, no, you're all getting one piece each. you don't want to get sick from eating too much." seonghwa interrupted their crazy requests.

they all let out disappointed "awes" and started taking the plates and sitting down.

it's one in the morning and i filmed a video of me losing my mind to that minjoong sequence before the last chorus in dancing like butterfly wings, y'all dlbw know exactly what i'm talking about.. anyways please vote for ateez on starpass we need to get their first win! and thank you for 4k reads, it means a lot to me