Chapter 19

The eighth and last match of the first round begun before I even knew it. Deku had to tap me on the shoulder to let me know it was starting since I was too distracted with a conversation I was having with Jiro over my shoulder.

As soon as they both stood on the arena, it seemed as though the air felt heavy with tension. Right when Present Mic blared 'start', Uraraka charged at Bakugo, though before she could touch him, he let off an explosion that sent her flying back. She used a tactic that made her jacket float as a diversion, though Bakugo's reaction time got the better of her. He whipped around and blasted her away. Blast after blast, Bakugo showed no mercy for his opponent.

Deku and I held the hands of each other unconsciously.

It felt as if the whole stadium was wincing as Uraraka took each attack as she would never rest, but as the battle progressed and became more violent, people began to speak up.

"Stop bullying and playing with the poor girl!"

"Yeah, yeah!"

I squeezed Deku's hand harder. They didn't understand. Bakugo seriously wasn't playing around right now, and his annoyance with the crowd was visible.

Thankfully, Aizawa scolded those who spoke.

The smokescreen cleared up, and everyone finally noticed the concrete debris in the air. I smirked. Uraraka pressed her fingertips together, sending the rocks falling like a meteor shower. She ran forward, getting a hair away from touching Bakugo, but failed when he exploded all the debris and Uraraka away in one shot. A single shot. That was just a glance at what I was up against.

Uraraka stood up, ready to run towards Bakugo for more action when she suddenly collapsed, reaching her limit. Pity formed in my chest when Uraraka tried crawling towards Bakugo, her urge to win was as clear as ice. I sighed. She seriously put up a good fight. Uraraka was placed on a stretcher, and Bakugo walked away as they announced his victory.

I stood up, ready to leave when I felt a tug on my hand. I looked down to see my hand entwined with Deku's. We looked at each other for an awkward moment before I let go, chuckling nervously while he was beet red in the face. We both headed to the waiting room where we met Uraraka, who seemed to be in a frustrated yet cheerful mood.

"You were amazing, Uraraka!"

"Yeah! You did really great!"

"Gee, thanks, guys! But I didn't win... Ugh! Whatever, there's always a next time!" She pouted, giving us a bright smile.

"Heh... During your battle, I really admired how you got back up, no matter how many times you were pushed back to the ground, you got back on your feet..." I uttered, a distant look in my eyes.

"(Y/N)... You're amazing too, and incredible!" I looked up to see Uraraka standing in front of me. I noted how she was a little taller than me. She gave me a thumbs up which I gave her a smile and a friendly hug.

Saying goodbye, Deku and I exited the room.

"I'm-I'm gonna go prepare myself since I'm next... I'll see you later!" He said, walking in the opposite direction with a hand in the air. 

"See you, I'll be watching!" I called out. I turned around and walked back the way I came, bumping into Todoroki in the process

"Todoroki! Hey!" I stopped the male and put a hand on his shoulder.

"(Y/N)?" I smiled.

"Do your best out there, okay? Deku may not exactly look like it, but he's a tough opponent so... Don't go easy on him, okay? I'll be cheering for both of you!" His eyes seemed to soften before he blinked and stood up straighter.

"Sure. Thanks." With that, he walked away. By now, I was used to his cold personality, it's just how he is. I entered the spectating area and found a seat beside Bakugo.

"After this battle, it's gonna be me, and you," I stated, a challenging look on my face.

"Yeah, and we all know who's gonna be number one." He said, crossing his arms.

I shook my head. "Don't get too full of yourself, or else you might get jinxed." He scoffed and turned his head away, though I could sense a sly smile on his face.

Our attention was directed to Deku and Todoroki, who walked out and were now on stage. Everyone was now on edge, waiting for the battle to begin.

"Start!"