Chapter 27

The class groaned and began stressing as Aizawa announced our upcoming exams, written and practical. My grades were okay-ish, but they weren't where I wanted them to be either, and I really needed to boost them up.

I placed 11th on the midterms, and knowing that there was more to becoming a hero than being tactical and strong, there were mental attributes to consider and improve.

During a painful session with Bakugo at his house along with Kirishima to boost our smarts, I realized that Bakugo's pretty good in academics. After all, he placed third on the midterms.

The first thing Bakugo did when we arrived at his house with him was argue with his mother. Constant yelling and insults were thrown at each other as he took both of us roughly by the hand and practically hauled us to his room.

'If I ever talked back once I'd be dead by now.' I thought. Shaking off their behaviour I gazed around his room, his normal-looking room. Maybe a little too normal. A desk, chair, bed, dresser, all within moderate colours. I don't know what I expected, but it wasn't this.

He spread papers that we had to study on his bed, and for some reason that would later be clear to me, rolled up an old newspaper in one hand.

"(Y/N), you suck in math. Take this and solve the problems. Shitty hair, you're bad in science. Find the formulas for these and study the structure of the cell." I nodded and worked on the worksheets, filling in the questions that I knew how to do.

Satisfied with my answers, I handed him my work. His eyes swung back and forth on the page, analyzing each question and how I solved them. His eyebrows narrowed more than usual.

Wham. "Ow! That hurt!" The newspaper retreated from my head.

"That's for getting one question wrong. Also, answer the ones you don't even know, goddammit!" Huffing I snatched my paper away and scribbled down every mathematical thought that crossed my mind.

I heard 5 or more whacks to my side and peered over to see Kirishima getting whacked by the newspaper. It didn't even hurt him due to his Quirk. "I got that one right!" He protested, earning another whack.

"YOU GOT THEM ALL WRONG, YOU'RE WORSE THAN A FIRST GRADER!" Bakugo yelled. A distant scream from his mother telling him to be quiet was heard.

"SHUT UP OLD HAG!" He growled and faced me again.

"Are you done?" I squeaked and finished the last question, then handed my work to him again.

I got hit exactly 13 times.

The night sky grew darker. We snacked through spicy food and had a mini competition to see who could eat the spiciest chips. As the second winner, I coughed my lungs out from the heat, first being Bakugo of course who was perfectly fine.

By the time I was halfway done the third worksheet Kirishima was long gone, apparently succeeding in his scientific study.

I struggled to keep my head up as I began nodding off. Instead of sitting across from Bakugo I rested beside him, relieving my back as I propped myself up against his black headboard. I rubbed an eye then pinched my cheek, trying hard to stay awake.

I was done as the last question was finished, and I slumped to the side in exhaustion, setting my head on Bakugo's shoulder. I heard his sigh fade as he closed a book and shifted closer to me before I dimmed into darkness.

***

Yelping, I rolled off the bed as I heard someone screaming 'goddamn germs' at 7:00 in the morning. I was confused as to where I was before the memories of last night flooded into my head. Wincing as I rubbed my head from all those hits I took, I stumbled towards the source of the yells.

Bakugo stood shirtless while vigorously brushing his teeth. I blinked, not taking my eyes off of him as he spat and rinsed.

He turned around, a thumb hooked in the pocket of his grey sweatpants. "Morning," I muttered the greeting back.

"...Don't look at me like that. It's not the first time you've seen me shirtless."

I puffed my red cheeks, "It's-It's not that!" He rolled his eyes and pushed past me, thrusting his shoulder into mine harshly.

I followed him as he headed back to his room. "You should've woken me up. I-I can't be here, my mom's gonna kill me! She probably doesn't even know where I am!" I held my bushy hair in my hands and felt a finger pressed against my lips.

"Shut up. My mom spoke to yours on the phone last night, and since you fricken fell asleep she told me to let you stay here. Now go get ready, your mom dropped off your things, they're on the bed," he said, gesturing to the plastic bag.

I made an 'o' shape with my mouth. Looking back at Bakugo, I noticed he inched closer to me, his finger under my chin, a flaming emotion in his eyes. His gaze lingered on my (E/C) orbs, then trailed down to my lips.

"You're weird when you sleep..." He said as if his thoughts rolled off his tongue unwillingly.

I stuttered his name.

He snapped out of his tranced and huffed, as if mad at himself for something. "Goddammit (Y/N)..." He mumbled, exiting the room and slamming the door leaving me to get ready for school with a very confused feeling of what just happened.

As I got downstairs, freshened up, I introduced myself properly to Miss. Bakugo, who was a lovely and energetic woman, and thanked her for letting me stay the night.

"It's my pleasure (Y/N)! Say, are you dating Katsuki?" I felt a shiver go up my spine at the question. We both heard someone clear their throat, and I looked at Bakugo who stood in the doorway, then back at his mom.

"We-we... I, uh, n-no. We're no-not da-dating" I stuttered, completely caught off guard. Both Bakugo and I were practically cherry red in the face as Miss. Bakugo laughed it off and sent us away for school.

"Ignore her. She gets caught up in other people's business too much. She doesn't know when to not stick her nose in things, that damn woman. Tch."

I felt hot for some reason, even though the sun was hidden behind some grey clouds. "She-she's nice. Your mom seems nice." Bakugo huffed in response.
Neither he or I said anything until we arrived at school.

The day began as we entered our written exams, and my hands began to sweat as I picked up my pencil. Science, Social Studies, Language Arts, and finally Math. As I breezed through each subject and question, I started to straighten my back in confidence, as it felt like I was doing middle school work.

I breathed a hefty sigh as the exam papers were being handed back to Aizawa for marking, each one done and clear. I scanned the room looking for a certain person to thank.

"Bakugo! I think I aced my tests, even my math test! Thank you so much!" I cried out, leaping at the blond with my arms wide open. He turned around and almost fell over, though steadied himself and slowly, tightly, embraced me back, his head snug in the crook of my neck, listening to the string of 'thank you's' that erupted from my mouth.