Chapter 42

The ground rumbled with the villains as they neared me while the woman was barking random things in my ear. Fight off the villains, or save the person? If I save the lady and try to take her away from the oncoming danger, her weight would slow me down and I'd put both of us in danger. On the other hand, if I faced the villains I would have a low chance of success due to the fact that I have no clue what they're capable of, and even if I did I can't lead them away from the citizen, as there's no telling if they'd follow me and leave her alone.

"What's the right decision to make?!" I screamed, gripping my hair with a mix of frustration, anger, worry, and a hell lot of other emotions that I didn't have time to sort out. Failure nagged at my mind, and I made the split-second decision when I saw the group of villains appear, only a few meters away from me.

"That's it! I've had enough, let's go!" I grabbed the woman's arm and yanked her out of the debris, the words 'minus points' rang and bounced off the walls in my head.

I hoisted her on my back and ran, slowing down as to not trip over anything. "Hey! Follow her!" I groaned loudly as the villains' footsteps sped up. I had no choice but to fight them head-on.

I spotted a smooth platform a few meters away and planned to set the woman on there. Until I heard someone crying their eyes out. Internally, I went over every curse word I knew. I had to save that other person unless I wanted that damn woman to shout 'minus points' in my ear and make me feel even worse than I already am. I had to save every person that I could.

I set the woman down with a forced smile. "Don't worry ma'am, I'll come back!" I ran off, making sure the villains were still a safe distance away from the woman and peered inside the broken building, finding a child wailing with a bloody head. I felt nauseous again but choked it down, holding a shaky hand out to the child.

"Don't worry! Grab onto me and I'll get you someplace safe!" The wailing cut off immediately as the kid glared at me with disappointment. His next words were sadly predictable.

"Minus points! Make sure I'm okay, ya doofus!" His annoying accent made my anger bubbled inside of me more, and I didn't bother sealing it in because it burst out before I even tried.

"Oh shut your mouth! I got an obnoxious old lady and a group of villains trailing my behind! So if you want to be saved then grab my hand and you better hurry you jerk!" The person was stunned for a moment before he narrowed his eyes and held my hand, letting me drag him out.

I held him in his arms and clenched my jaw as the villains were almost near the woman. It was a close call as I snatched her up and threw her over my shoulder in a sloppy way, sprinting as fast as I could with the amount of weight I had to carry.

It was at times like these when I wish I had a Quirk. I really wanted a Quirk right then and there, because it would have been so damn useful. What made my feelings worse was the explosions and sounds of Quirks being used somewhere else in the area, and I caught sight of flames and wind creating a majestic sight. I wanted to cry. Jealously tugged at my heart.

"Give it up! You can't run forever!" A villain shouted from behind.

'Gosh, they're really playing the part, aren't they?' I thought, their presence alone annoying the hell out of me. I could have taken them to the first aid area, but with the group of villains behind me, that would just make the problem worse, as they would most likely attack the heroes and the injured that were already there.

Two rocks leaning against each other to create a small shelter caught my eye, and I steered my feet there. The villains were practically on my heels, and I bent down, shrugging the two people off, their eyes filled with judgement. I ignored it and directed them under the rocks, immediately turning to fight the villains off.

"Ah, I see your done running away. Ready to fight?" My eyelids grew heavy with exhaustion, and my body felt shaky, especially my legs which were turning to jelly. I had to try my best if I wanted to pass the test, and I flicked out a gun from my belt, ready to take these guys down.

"Yeah, I guess so. Let's get this over with!" I charged at them with a battle cry but was cut off as a blast from one of their weird guns hit me in the knee, a sort of grey blob encasing my joint.

"I bet you're wondering what that is. That is concrete, and is designed to dry up quickly." The villain boasted. I tried bending my knee, but as they said, it already grew hard, the concrete weighing my leg down considerably.

Nevertheless, I charged forward with a limp that made me look stupid as hell and engaged in combat. I got hit with that concrete stuff twice, one on my opposite elbow and the other around my torso, preventing me from bending forward or back. I shifted on my free leg a bit, trying to maintain my balance.

A villain approached me, his demeanour perfectly telling me that he hid a smirk behind his mask. I swung my free arm at him, but he caught my fist with ease. He then swung a leg under me, causing me to lose my balance and fall on the ground hard, a piece of concrete facing its edge upwards lodged itself deep in my lower back, making me cry out in pain.

"Looks like it's over for you and these citizens." Another one stepped up and aimed their gun at the child and woman, both who shrieked with fear in their realistic acting.

Doing what I thought was right at the moment, I used my free arm to throw a rock at just the right time and angle so that the rock took the hit right when the villain pulled his trigger, saving the citizens. 

I think that was the only right thing I did the entire time, and just when I felt a bit of hope in all my despair, a loud alarm blared through the field, painfully announcing that the second and final test had come to an end.