Chapter 39

I slapped my hand on the ringing clock, shutting it up as I slumped out of bed. I blinked, wondering where I was before I realized I was in the dorms. It was pretty cool until the moment I tripped over a shoe and face planted into the wall, my forehead buzzing with pain. I groaned, just remembering how messy my room was. I forced the reminder that I had to clean my room in my mind, trudging to the bathroom to freshen up and get into my school clothes.

That was just one of the terrible things that have been happing lately. Aizawa had taken us to the gym where we were supposed to develop some ultimate moves, and I had the hardest time. It took me twice as long as everyone else to develop a move and even with Aizawas help, I felt like it wasn't anything special compared to my classmates.

The move took 50 percent of my strength and energy to perform, but it wasn't anything flashy or cool, it was basically a combo of physical attacks that would take so much time for me to perfect, and on top of all that Aizawa commanded I should practice it until I could do it in my sleep. To add to my pile of despair, Aizawa kept adding to the pressure of the provincial listener exams, which included the fact that only 50 percent would pass.

Just when I thought things were finally easing up, there was news spreading around about a new villain that recently killed 39 people, but it didn't affect U.A. in any way so Aizawa told us not to worry about it.

So there I was, slumped on the couch in my sweats with Mina complaining about the hard training we were doing, which I silently agreed to.

"Even so, there's less than a week left before the provisional licensing exams," Jiro said, causing me to shoot my eyes open and stiffen. I hadn't been keeping track of the days, and I thought I still had a lot of time left. My hopes crashed for a moment and I zoned out, blocking out the casual conversations as I wallowed in despair.

"... (Y/N)'s boyfriends!" I jolted forward and whipped my head around.

"Eh?! What?! What are we talking about?" The girls giggled.

"We've all noticed how close you've been with Bakugo," Momo began, my heart stirring up a little. "And Todoroki and Deku too!" My heart exploded.

I rubbed my head. "W-well, that's-that's not- well what about it?!" My head was beginning to feel light and fuzzy, and I wanted to dig a hole and hide.

Momo tapped a finger to her lips. "You like them all, don't you." It suddenly became very hot in the room, and I excused myself from the seating area, muttering excuses and hiding my face behind my hands, the giggles of the girls trailing me from behind.

I ripped the door open and flung myself in my room, tumbling over everything and landing on my bed. I pulled my pillow to my chest, trying to control my emotions. The darkness was comforting, and I barely managed to get my thoughts collected and calm.

"Do I really like them? I mean, I know I like Bakugo but Todoroki and Deku too?" I mumbled to myself, squeezing the pillow.

'You do! It's normal, of course. To have three crushes is normal!' The little voice in my head said.

"I know I care about all of them very deeply- they're my friends after all, but to the point where I like them?!" I waited for the little voice to respond.

'Yes! Bakugo, Todoroki, and Deku. Maybe they like you too! Think about it. They don't hate you, or dislike you in the least! What have they ever done to make you think otherwise?' I silently agreed and thought about it.

"I guess so, but what if I confess to one of them and Bakugo gets mad? What if they want to stay friends with me? What if-" I trailed off and sighed. I was overthinking this.

'You're not overthinking it! Besides, I can guarantee 100 percent that all three of them like you very much. Also, we have to keep the plot moving.'

I raised an eyebrow. "Sure, but... what will others think?"

'Who cares about other people? The only ones that you should care about are the whole of Class 1-a, your friends! But of course, Todoroki, Deku, and Bakugo are at the top.'

I rolled on my back and nodded slowly. "I think you're right, little voice!"

No response.

I cringed at myself and rolled on my side again, slightly convinced I was going insane.

***

The building was intimidating- not because of the way it looked, but what was inside of it was scary. The exam...

I gulped, holding onto the straps of my backpack while shaking in my shoes, Todoroki standing beside me as if this whole thing didn't phase him in the least.

Fortunately, Aizawa introduces us to a class that managed to get some of my anxiety away. One member, in particular, caught my attention. A boy with black hair and brown eyes with busy hair, all of which looked almost identical to Deku. He went around praising everyone and their amazing skills and whatnot, but when he neared me I almost died.

"And you! You're the first Quirkless person to enter U.A.! I have so much respect for you!" He continued on, but I was left stuck to the spot to deal with that praise.

Todoroki waved a hand in front of me, snapping me out of my crazed state when some girl asked for his autograph. I blinked and watched him for his reaction.

"Okay." He said cooly, pulling a pencil out and writing it down on the paper.

I nudged him with my elbow and smirked. "Looks like you're pretty famous, huh!" He shrugged.

"U.A. is famous already, it makes sense for its students to be too." I deadpanned at his reaction and followed the crowd inside when Aizawa instructed us all inside to get changed.

Before we even knew it, we were all ready to go, waiting for the man at the front to explain the orientation before we started.

He seemed way out of line and exhausted to the point where he began mumbling about sleep. He slumped forward, finally getting to the point. "Anyways, the first hundred people to fulfill the requirements will pass." My eyes bulged out of my head. There was a total of 1, 540 people taking the exam, and even with my bad math skills, I could see that that was not half. Way less than half.

"Less than 1 percent would pass..." Bakugo growled under his breath. I almost screamed at the statistics of this exam and wanted to turn away from this exam when he explained the rules.

Apparently, we had three target points on our body and if all three points were hit, we're out. To pass that round, we had to defeat two people. That was all.

I looked at my classmates for some reassurance, but all were either lost in thought or had a chill look on their faces. It seems like I was the only one freaking out.

We put our target pads on our bodies and collect the balls, then headed outside. Deku wanted everyone to remain as a group and not to get separated, all who agreed except for Bakugo and Todoroki who went off on their own. I stayed with the group, gazing anxiously at the terrain which was insanely huge.

As if it couldn't get worse, a blare signalled the starting of the battle, and instantly a crowd of students appeared out of nowhere, ready to destroy their one and only targets; us.

I had one thought and one thought only. 'I can't do it!'