Chapter 4

A/N
The business area of Paris is in the picture on top (taken by me). Swipe left for the song by Foo Fighters Potato_Man9001 suggested, and I found fitting for Aiden's fresh start.

 Swipe left for the song by Foo Fighters Potato_Man9001 suggested, and I found fitting for Aiden's fresh start

May

The offices of Victor's company were in the business area on the periphery of the capital. On our way to La Défense, he explained to me that the city was divided into twenty administrative districts. I caught a glimpse of several landmarks I'd only seen in books and on TV, and couldn't help thinking about how different the city was from the places where I used to live.

It wasn't the size, nor the crazy traffic. It was the atmosphere: the mix of old and modern, the authentic and mainstream.

The office building was enormous and already crammed with people despite the early hour. I'd barely gotten a couple of hours of sleep, but so many new things would've made the rest impossible anyway.

Victor greeted and shook hands with tons of suit-clad workers on our way to his office, the immovable smile plastered on his face. As soon as we were in an open-plan office on our level of the multistory building, at least a dozen pairs of curious eyes landed on me.

"This is Aiden, everyone," Victor said. "You'll get to know him soon. I need Mathis and Liam in my office in five."

Victor held the door to his office open for me to enter. I found myself surrounded by a sleek furniture set consisting of an oval glass table and leather chairs. However, what enticed me was a breathtaking view of Paris from a floor-to-ceiling window taking up the entire wall.

"Well, take a seat," Victor said, pointing at a chair. "It's your first day today; we'll talk to the guys, and then we'll have our daily meeting with the team."

Seeing me squirm in my chair, the man boomed with laughter. "Relax, Aiden, they are harmless. Today is about meeting everyone and getting comfortable."

"Can I have...um...a notepad and a pen?"

Smiling, Victor placed the things with the Fauber Construction logo on the table in front of me. A minute later, there was a knock on the door, and two guys made their way inside.

"This is Mathis." Victor pointed at a guy in his twenties with fair curly hair. "And Liam."

Liam couldn't be much older than me. In a light blue button-down and slacks, he would look like one of the many office workers I'd met on the way upstairs, hadn't it been for the tattoo peeking out of the collar of his shirt.

"I'm Aiden." I got up and shook their outstretched hands.

All of us sat down.

"So, gentlemen, as I told you, Aiden's just moved here. It's his first day today, so I'd appreciate it if the two of you showed him around the headquarters and helped him out a bit. We don't know what department he'll work in yet, but later today, it might be clear."