Chapter 68

A/N A bit of loving in this one

January

"Do I look okay?"

I turned around so that my mom could see what I chose to wear. I opted for a dark red, scoop neck dress that clung to my body like a second skin. It was my first exhibition, and I wanted to look pretty. After almost two weeks in the hospital, I was eager to return to my normal life.

"You look stunning, honey." Louise smiled. "I love the earrings, too."

"It was Aiden's first-anniversary present." I tucked my straightened hair behind my ears and gave myself a once-over in my bedroom mirror. My make up was heavier than usual. Sky did her best to help me, giving me indications during our video call. I missed her and was thrilled to be going back in less than a week.

Louise watched me as I grabbed the bag with the shirts I bought for Aiden from my closet and took the garments out, spreading them on the bed. Aiden was staying at Jimmy's. Although we spent the three days I'd been at home together, he chose to sleep at his friend's. We were both adults, but I didn't want to push it, sleeping with him under my mom's nose.

"Do you think Aiden will like them?" I looked at the shirts he had yet to try on. Aiden would be here soon to get ready for the exhibition.

My mom smiled. "That boy would love anything that comes from you, Ellie. Let's have a cup of tea while we're waiting for him."

I followed Louise downstairs, knowing that a cup of tea meant a conversation and a conversation would entail the topic I'd rather not discuss. I'd managed to dodge it for three days. This time, I'd run out of luck.

When the tea was ready, we sat at the table with our mugs. "I won't talk to him, mom," I said even before Louise opened her mouth. "I kicked him out of my hospital room for a reason, and that reason hasn't gone anywhere. He's still a liar who hurt the person I love in the worst way imaginable."

"I know, honey." Louise sighed. "It's just that it's uncomfortable. He still sees us as his family. This whole situation—"

"Is solely his fault. Not Aiden's, and sure as hell, not mine. I cannot forgive him, mom. I don't trust him one bit. Now, if you want to have him in your life, I'll understand and won't hold it against you. I know that he raised you. I don't want you to take sides, but you have to accept my decision."

"I wish he hadn't done those things, Ellie. Now you will get married, and he will miss all of it."

"His choice."